first wireless connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chad2261, Feb 9, 2004.

1. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I'm shopping around for the card and router right now. For first timers, do you guys reccommend getting a kit that comes with both, or would I be better off buying the two seperately? Also, what are some good and bad names out there? Right now I'm looking at a Uniden kit that includes both card and router for around $70...

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:dunno:

I've always used seperate parts but as long as the price is right I see no problem with a kit.

As far as names, I recommend Netgear. Most of my stuff is Netgear and I have had no problems with them.

You might want to stay away from D-Link - I have had problems with them a couple of times but maybe I was just unlucky :dunno:

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

for the card i would get a proxim orinoco - they have one of the best radios in the industry

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I would just say to stick with a name brand. I'm very happy with all of my Linksys stuff I use at home and I just installed some Belkin wireless stuff at work and am happy with them also.

CM.

5. chad2261

chad2261 New Member

I think you may be right about the namebrand thing. I know the general view of MS is pretty low here so I might be condemning myself to a lifetime of e-torture, but I think their 802.11b wireless kit might be the way to go for a beginner like myself. I've been reading some pretty good reviews so far, that is if you are using XP Home, which I am. Plus it's $100 for the card and router, which I think is considerably cheaper than anything else I've found today piecewise, not including mail in rebates.

I did notice one thing though: MS says that the performance is best if you also have one computer running a wired connection from the wireless router. Why do you suppose that is? Would it be necessary? I have a desktop in the other room but I'd rather keep it offline for now. I only intend to connect the laptop to the Internet, so technically there won't be an actual wireless network, just one computer connected wirelessly to the Internet. And maybe an Xbox if I get to it...

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I cannot imagine a reason to keep a machine hardwired to the router, except maybe for logging which I see MS's routers like to do. (SCARRY - Gives me a feeling MS trying to be Big Brother).

A kit or parts does not matter as long as the price is good. Linksys sells the same router and wireless cards that you would buy seperately in a kit for about $20 less... (Oh yea my Linksys has been my brand of choice.)

But my personal experiences with MS network equipment had NOT BEEN GOOD! I have a router somewhere around here that does not appear to be working, and they will not warranty it. Some how no radio signal has something to do with the owner who has no clue how to access the device changing settings... I suggest all my 'customers' to stay far away from MS network equipment.

7. fifidong

fifidong Active Member

just dont buy Linksys.. it's king of the suck! at least my WAP11 is.
    disconnects every now and then.. extremely unstable.

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i havent had a problem, other than it being a bit slower than comparable parts with the same technology.

9. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

if you haven't ordered anything yet, i'd definetely chose the proxim orinoco card. ive had the orinoco gold a/b/g combo for quite awhile now and its beautiful. wardriving is the only reason i got it then i ended up finding a deal on a wireless router... theres nothing better than laying in bed, on the couch in front of the big screen, or sitting on the shitter, and still being able to surf:)