WEB first website

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bitchno3, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bitchno3

bitchno3 New Member

www.rmastdesign.com

I lurk in here sometime, still a student in school, but just got finished making a first website, design, coding, everything. I wanted to post it in here to see what you guys think, and areas which could use some improvement.

2. JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo Live Free or Die

:werd: very very slow for me

3. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

Portfolio was fast to load on my work connection.. Anyways I think it looks great for a first website ever, a lot better than mine ever did.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Let's start with the basic elements.

Figure out who your audience is and design your website based off your target audience. There's nothing wrong with a basic and simple design, but in this design, there is a lot of empty real estate in your design. It looks like it was designed in a 600x600 block. Research web design usability and research your audience. Those are the basics. Utilize relevant copy as much as you can across all the pages. Not just the about page. Utilize swfobject for your flash elements.

Homepage.
    One large image map as a splash page. I understand in the industry of real estate architecture sometimes such things are necessary. But I think it could have been designed a lot better to utilize both copy and blend of imagery elements on the homepage. An elegant flash intro with some body copy could be more beneficial than what you have now.

Portfolio.
    Implement a pre-loader on the gallery. It took a bit for me to load. Also utilize some type of transition for the visual appeal. Use XML based feeds from flash so the entire flash file won't be loading every image at once. Have the images load when a user clicks on them.

Press.
    This needs to be organized a lot better. I would recommend listing the title of each press release and then linking to the press release from that title accordingly. This is way too cumbersome and people aren't generally going to go through all that to find a certain article.

Overall site needs more copy, more accent images, and more information. But for a first website, I will say it's a hell of a lot better than my first website and I think you got started off on the right foot.

5. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

alot better than i expected when i saw 'first website'

6. knowledgeocity

knowledgeocity New Member

Nice clean design. You should make a logo for yourself. The image gallery does load a bit slow. I suggest using ajax to externally load your images in through an external file and your images would load faster. To do this, just search ajax image gallery.

Keep up the good work.

7. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

lightbox would look really clean on that website.

8. bitchno3

bitchno3 New Member

thanks for the input guys, I wish I had known abut lightbox and ajax files before making the site.

and by first site, i mean first site made for a client, and not just a school project.

9. c.a

c.a New Member

none of the pages were fluid, especially the press one, there were different background styles on each page. and there was no reason for the portfolio to be done in flash. but other than that i thought it looked pretty good.

10. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

check out my colorbox thread in here that would work really well with that site, you can embed html in it.

11. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member