First track day in the Spec-V... impressions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Short Bus, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I feel let down. I really thought this car was going to be better than it was. Now I've seen it first hand... the car just won't rotate. Well, it will rotate, if you're willing to trade a ton of speed in the process.

I was running in the advanced group at a DE event in Talladega, Al. I was just noticing how big of an issue it was when my instructor mentioned something about the rear sway bar. Later on we talked about it a little more and he was under the impression that the car was forcing me to give far more input than would typically be necessary.

I actually started to get discouraged for a while because I thought that perhaps it was my driving. I was driving consistently, hitting the apexes, driving out as well as the car could... but it just wouldn't go. My instructor commented a few times that I was driving great, it's just that the car's limits are so low that the suspension was holding me back. Told me if I had one of the STi's out on the track there'd be no stopping me, so at least I'm not too rusty. The last time I was out in my old WRX the only car to ever run up on me at that track was an NSX. I was the slowest guy in my group all day long today.

Now, granted... the crappy Kumho 711's really didn't help matters. But even with stickier rubber I'd hit that road block with the suspension, even if I was going a weee bit faster.

But, my car is almost dead stock. The Carbotech Bobcats held up pretty well, although early in the day when the tires were still pretty fresh I was getting some pad fade. Later in the day when the tires had just about all they could take and the ATE Superblue fluid needed to be refreshed the pads ceased to be the weak link.

So I've come to the conclusion, to wake this car up so that it becomes what it should be... and a whole lot more fun to drive, I need the following...

0 degree toe alignment for rear tires
    Bushing kit
    Coil-overs
    Bigger brakes

That will clear up the major issues. Later on down the line I'm going to want a turbo.

2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Oh, and I was out with a new Mazda 3, running the same tires as I was... those little cars can run. Not faster than the Spec-V, but a stock Spec-V won't run away from a 3.

It all comes down to the rear alignment in the Spec. Fucking Nissan...

3. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Nobody? damn

4. Douchemark

Douchemark Guest

Should have gotten a Focus SVT

5. Sonic

Sonic Live every day to the fullest, for yesterday is go

The Spec-V suc..... wait a second, I can't speak badly of Nissan.:hsd:

6. Chicane

Chicane Ad Hoc OT Supporter

Gee, I would hope it's not as bad as you say, but you would know better than me.

Great comments from the instructor though. Congrats on that.

Any pics of the car?

You need to make the trek to VIR or Summit Point.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I think you nailed the problem on the head when you said it was a:

:o

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

A stock Focus probably wouldn't have been a whole lot faster, if at all. A couple of upgrades will really bring this Nissan to life. I'm sure of it.

The car has boatloads of potential. It's just that Nissan fucked the car over from the factory.

The whole experience can be summed up with one word...

UNDERSTEER

9. i never found it to be anything special.

the srt-4 is just a million times better deal

10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Well, it may *not* have been as bad as it seemed... however, I was in the advanced group so I was running with a bunch of guys who were easily as good as or better than I am in terms of skill and experience, and the vast majority of them had faster cars. If I was in the novice or intermediate group I probably would have felt better about the whole thing... but you can only wave so many people by before you begin to question things.

Lemme see if I can't find a picture or two of the car...

11. You say you need 0 toe on the rear tires. What's the stock toe setting on them?

12. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

$11,500 for my Spec-V, had 11,000 miles on it.

$4300 on a turbo kit
    $2000 on the suspension
    $1500 on the brakes
    $600 on wheels

All the performance of an SRT-4 and more for less than the cost of a used one.

I know you could get more power out of the SRT-4, ultimately... but it doesn't matter to me.

13. Chicane

I've been there and understand.

Who organized the event?

14. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

My car...

[​IMG]

15. Douchemark

Douchemark Guest

That some pathetic resale value right there

16. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

A fellow named Trey with the local Integra Type-R club. He organizes two DE events a year.

http://www.itrca.com

17. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

...and yeah, I'll definitely have to make the trek up there for an event or two. :cool:

I'll be driving to Virginia sometime next month to meet a fellow who can fix my toe-in rear wheel alignment problem.

18. Chicane

Nice.

I am sure it was the street tires that were holding you back.

Street tires on track are tough. The wild pressure variations you get in street tires are hard to work with

I've put my street wheels/tires on for rainy sessions I would have preferred my race tires.

19. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Er uh, no... I got a good deal on the car. I caught the dealership with their pants down and got it for $11,500 instead of the $13,500 they originally wanted for it.

I could have turned around and sold the car for an easy $1000 profit if I wanted to. The Spec-V's resale has held up pretty well for a Nissan.

...and I probably would have bought an SRT-4, but I couldn't get one for what I wanted to spend a year ago when I bought the Nissan.

20. Chicane

If in VA, you should look up Section8 or head a bit more north and I'll throw a couple beers your way and show you a good time (in my best heterosexual voice)

21. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

You're right about that... but even if I had sticker tires and race rubber I'd still have had to deal with the same suspension issues, even if at a higher speed.

Race rubber may have even exaggerated one of the problems with the car... dampers that are far too weak for the springs. I was able to deal with that by putting an emphasis on being smooth and letting the springs settle, which you should do anyway... but it's a necessity with this car. Feels like driving a worn out Cadillac.

22. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

:cool:

A buddy of mine wants to tag along. I'm sure he'd be up for anything that weekend. I'll let ya'll know when I start getting all the details ironed out.

23. Chicane

You're exactly right.

Are your springs not what came on the car?

24. guru

guru Active Member

Should've gotten an S2K. :o