MMA first tourny tomorrow

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kronik85, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

my first judo tournament is tomorrow, and there's a ne waza only division :wiggle: i'll have videos up this weekend sometime.

any sage advice? :noes:

2. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I've felt like I was controlling a match yet been down on points. Judo has different scoring, so who knows, but if you get reversed a few times while going for submissions, the points start adding up.

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

walk -behind- the corner refs.
    bow fully and be calm before your fight.
    respect > bravado pre and post fight.

4. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

good luck!

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

sooo the fights went alright. learned a bit. went 1-2.

first fight i'm matched up with a 30 something year old black belt... awesome. we grip fight a bit and i can't get shit, he tries to throw something and he ends up on my back and snaps a gi choke around my mouth while he's got a high back mount. cut my lower lip all to hell. i escape out the back while turning into it and they call matte. we square off again, i open up a bit and off balance him with a so-so o uchi gari which i wanted to use to setup a tai otoshi. he steps back and tries to counter with something, off balances himselfand before i know it, i'm driving him into the mat with an o soto gari.

ippon. my first match, against a sandan.

second match i fight one of my club members who's a bit bigger than me, and been doing judo a long while over in israel. very fast, strong, and smart. they stopped the match at the beginning because the scores on the board hadn't been reset. anyways, i take a few foot sweeps at him lose balance and spin out. get up, try for another o uchi gari, i hook it and he easily reverses me into the mat. over within about 20 seconds. gotta watch that balance, he did it twice to me.

link to my second match

third match is with a brown belt, lil taller than me. he didn't grip fight at all, gave me the grips i wanted and i started trying tai otoshi, kata guruma, o uchi gari, foot sweeps, and got the offbalance but somehow he managed to stay on his feet over and over. he mounted me at one point, tucked his heels under, posted out on his hands, and i had an elbow caught awkwardly under his belly which hindered my knee-elbow escape, i also couldn't reach his arms to upa. 4 or 5 hard hard bridges and he loosened up and eventually lost mount as i rolled to his guard. we've been on the ground for awhile, and i knew the ref was close to calling matte. so i tried.. some choke we learned the same week, called like a 'poke' choke. basically you just grab his lapels, push one across his throat and lay your weight into it. not a cross collar/x choke. not good if he can threaten armbars.. but we're novice so it's not allowed in new england tourneys unless both competitors and coaches agree to it. i had it sunk nice and tight and he was gurgling, his head was off the mat edge (out of bounds) and right as i think he'll tap.. ref calls matte. refs come together to talk about something, and they end up taking away his koka he got for pinning me because it wasn't long enough, or something. we stand up, i try another o uchi gari, then an uchi mata i think. and he all of a sudden threw me with something and i landed on my side. 2 refs called ippon, one called wazari.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Not bad for your first try.

7. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

good job broly! I had a tournament that i had to pull out of today. It turns out that my instructor didn't register me. damn it

but damn dude, you did well in ipponing the blackbelt. Good job, and glad you had fun.

8. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

ya, was sooo much fun. and i escaped relatively injury free. :wiggle: i was pissed though, i was apparently one of a very few people who wanted to do matwork only.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Way to pull a Terrell

10. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

honest to god, i feel like a fuckin chump. I've missed 3 tournaments since my first place finish in the novice division. People are itching to fight me in the advanced division right now.

I need to compete again especially in judo, cuz a lot of guys in judo competitions just casually get up after it hits the ground, those kind of guys are the ones that i want to fight (and choke the fuck out)

Kronik: next time get vids damn it!

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

there's a video link in there, for my second fight where my teamate reversed/countered my shitty o uchi gari. my fight with the blackbelt was caught by my instructor's girlfriend on tape, he's working to get me a copy of it and i'll post it here.