MMA First Tourney this weekend... eeek

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by 2000GT, Oct 20, 2005.

1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I have been training kickbox and mua thai for about 6 months now (did pankration for a 6 months prior) and this weekend I am going to enter in a tournament called the Western Canadian Martial Arts Challange.
    I will be enetering this division: (m) (18 +) White - Green (174-200) which is just a adult beginner division with the weightclass of 174-200. I am 205 right now, but will be down to less than 200 for the weekend.
    I believe I have to wear headgear, mouthguard, shin pads etc... however, in the rules I read something about being carded for using too much force?
    Is it common for people to be knocked out in these tournaments? I believe there is one 2 min round and the winner continues on. Anyone know what I should expect?

2. Gomi Bear

Gomi Bear New Member

Good luck man :bigthumb:

Sounds like a tournament like the Karate Kid...:dunno:

3. Supertrapped

Supertrapped President of 2:73

I hate tourney's like that :sad2:

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

well you should have the edge since you have been doing muay thai. But If its like point sparring or something then that sucks.

5. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

why is that?

6. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Its not point sparring, I guess you go till you knock someone out or the judges make a decision.

7. Supertrapped

Supertrapped President of 2:73

All the pads and rules

You're not gonna learn anything that way....IMO

8. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

what kind of rules.. I have never competed.. sparred lots, but never to the point of trying to knock someone out or damage them.
    I know I have very strong powerfull kicks and hooks, but I get the impression I will not be able to use them.
    http://members.shaw.ca/b-hunter/WKC face.htm
    Those are the rules.

Is the point to knock the opponent out or what?

9. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

whoa...good luck :bigthumb:

and i always get you confused with superman80, the dude that looks like Sylvester Stallone and was really good at guitar (played NIN's Hurt a la Johnny Cash on acoustic)

being only 2 minute rounds, i'm assuming that either people will come out guns blazing or they'll be very timid and defensive

anyways, take lots of pictures and share :squint:

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

just glancing over it, it looks like it's not by a point system if it goes to decision, but by majority nods from the judges. otherwise, they can call the fight for other DQ reasons, or of course if you get KTFO

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Good luck. Just remember not to underestimate anyone and you should do alright.

12. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

thanks for the kind words fella's.... you think it would be smart to come out guns blazing? I figured start out a lot with a hard right low kick to the back of the knee/thigh as we are wearing shin pads it wont do much to the front.
    I have a feeling I will be big for the division, but I feel like for 1 round I can give it my all throwing a lot of kicks and a periodical jab cross hook or jab cross uppercut.

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah, hopefully you won't gas... you might want to spend a good amount of time warming up (till you start sweating a little) so that you don't let the adrenaline take over and make you overly tired.

14. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It depends a lot on your endurance. If you see someone that doesn't seem very experienced that wouldn't be a bad idea, but you have to watch yourself like brolli said. I would do that for the first 10 or so seconds and see if it's working. If you aren't getting openings and catching him off guard then slow things down and fight smart.

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'm probably not the best person to give advice about this, but my assumption is that because you don't really know who you're going up against, it's hard to have a game plan. if you do have one, it might not be the optimal one for your particular opponent. best thing you can possibly do is be prepared for as many situations as you can and make sure that you are adaptive to your opponent. for example, if your opponent keeps his lead leg in, then low kicks probably wouldn't be the best thing to do. the most important thing is that you control the pace of the fight.

probably best answered from somebody who knows what the fuck they're talking about though. i speak directly from my ass :o

16. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

:werd:

I know this is a total chill competition and nothing to worry about. But I feel like if I do well here I will give myself the confidence to train harder in MMA and fight a small MMA event, which is my ultimate goal.

17. Sammo

Sammo New Member

[​IMG]

18. niptorious

niptorious New Member

coming out gunz blazin prolly wont be good if
    3. Disqualification. After a single warning from the referee, and depending on the severity, a fighter may be disqualified and his opponent declared the winner. Infractions that may warrant disqualification with or with out a warning include but are not limited to:
    a. Excessive contact.

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It sounds like it's basically hard sparring that will be judged. I'd worry more about controlling the fight. Don't get too obsessed with landing punches that you're willing to take a ton of hits just to get one in. If you can't reach him use your kicks to get in. Don't be willing to get hit just because it might not hurt with all that gear. Move laterally and move more in a circle while jabbing him instead of trying to fight linearly. Good luck :bigthumb:

20. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

Good luck bro!

21. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah doesn't look like you wanna go for the KO, just fight clean. med. contact continuous point sparring, it could be worse, but it's definately not my style.

22. damiand

damiand Proceed

Where is teh event being held? I would be totally down with watching this. Also where did you train Muay Thai in Vancouver area?

23. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Its held at BCIT this saturday, 10 AM start... 10 bucks entrance. I train at Franco Kickboxing in East Vancouver.

24. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

yeah, you see this is what I dont understand. Why all the gear if I cant smack my opponent up. I am going to use low kicks a lot to bruise thighs and give charlie horses. I think if I throw a hard uppercut to knockout I may get in a bit of trouble.

25. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Thats it bro... I think a lot of angles cause I a lot of guys I train with who have done this comp before say that a lot of guys just come out throwing punches like it aint anybodys business, I figure a lot of angles and side step low kicks will slow em down.