First Timer in need of advice

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by gchang817, Jun 15, 2004.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

Well i been trying to read all the threads here so i can start detailing my 1992 acura legend. im not looking for some kind of show car, just want to keep the car clean and shiny. This is what i got so far:

1 - nxt car wash applied with sheepskin wash mit and dried with a microfiber and terry cloth towel.
    2 - clay magic clay bar
    3 - nxt car wash again
    4 - can anyone reccomend a polish for a car with numerous fine small scratches that can be used over large areas?
    5 - nxt tech wax applied with foam applicator, wiped off with a microfiber towel. let it settle to a haze. (how long does that take??)

i hope i dont ruffle any feathers with this, i read autotopias guide to detailing and didnt think i needed everything they said (sealants and such) well thanks in advance.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Use some DAC/P followed by SFP followed by a light polish (vanilla Moose is a good one). I would skip the NXT in favor of something else because NXT doesn't last very long.

3. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

I think NXT is supposed to haze for 15 minutes. Make sure the layer you apply to your vehicle is very thin. Since you just want an above average shine you're right, you don't have to do everything listed on Autopia. Sounds like you're on the right track. You washed, clayed, washed, and waxed. What I would recommend is washing again then polishing with Meguiar's swirl free polish or speed glaze. That would mean you'd have to NXT the car again though. That should make is look great with what you've already done!

4. Raiden396

Raiden396 Guest

Am I correct in assuming that you'll be doing the application of the polish and wax by hand?

5. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

yup. just trying to work into int right now. a pc may be possible in the future. i chose nxt because it seemed so user friendly. so am i right to purchase meguiars #82 and #83? where i can i purchase these besides the meguiars website?

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Search.

7. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You don't 'need' to rewash after claying. Some people do, to me is it a wasted step since your polishing will remove any clay residue that may be left. If you are going to work by hand, go with Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze. I normally use it with my PC, but I have used it by hand and it works great. Read the swirl removal by hand sticky for proper use by hand. Follow with a glaze if you want but if you work #80 properly, you can go straight to NXT. If you want to add some more depth to NXT, you can top it with Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax.

9. luvmylegend

luvmylegend Wut?

10. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

for the #80 speed glaze, should i purchase the 32oz. or the 1 gal? how often would i have to use this, or would it be for just when imperfections appear?

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The average enthusiast would be fine with a quart of #80.

12. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I purchased a the 32oz of DACP last year (early august) and I have a TON left still. This is after doing 7 or so cars worth, so I really wouldn't go for the gallon, as you may like it but after you may want to use something else in a few years. :)

You would use it to correct imperfections as they worry you. Say your car gets a bit swirled in a few months...redo it. You won't have to re-clay, twice a year claying is enough as I have found. :)