First Time Waxing

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TrevorK, Oct 14, 2002.

1. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

OK, this is my first time waxing my car. I plan to wax my winter car before it get's too cold so that it has some protection throughout the winter.

I purchased the Mother's Clay Bar kit - seemed to come with what I need (It's my winter 'beater' so it doesn't need a showcar shine). What towels do I need at what steps? What steps should I take? Any specific towels/types of towels?

Also, my car is painted in acrylic enamel (not base-clear). Is this wax safe for this paint?

Any other steps I should know? I just painted my car in the summer, so I don't want to ruin the paint...

Trevor

2. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

Oh - and should I apply a couple coats of the carnuba wax that came in the kit?

Trevor

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Everything you just asked can be found in the stickies at the top of the forum, or by using the [​IMG] tool.

4. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

So I should be using a back-forth motion (front-back) when waxing? And when buffing the wax?

Also, can I wash my terry-cloth towels that I used to wax the car with in my washing machine - or will the waxy residue be stuck on?

Do I wash my micro-fiber cloth seperately from everything after every use?

I assume temperature matters. Right now it's 10 deg Celsius outside - 50 deg Farenheit. I assume that's a bit too cold to wax the car in? What temperature should I aim for?

Thanks
    Trevor

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yes, use the back and forth motion when buffing, too. All towels can be washed in your washing machine, no problem. Yes, wash your MF separately.

50 is fine to wax your car in, I believe. I really wouldn't do it in anything colder than that, though.

6. TrevorK

TrevorK New Member

I just finished - it's looking better, not amazing, but considering it's a garage paint job it looks good.

I think next time I should get a polish too to put on before the wax? That's what would give it the real nice shine?

Also - I noticed my terry cloth would lose lint, will this go away once they are washed? If so, should I just wash them all right away to get the lint off?

And for next time - how much effort do you put into applying the wax? Buffing it? What I mean, is do you just put it on, or really grind it in? Any tips?

Thanks
    Trevor

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yes, a polish will remove any oxidation or paint contaminants, which in addition to the wax, will give the paint a great shine.

Terry cloth towels will give off lint the first few times you will use them, however, for the most part the terry cloth is crap, you should be using MF.

As far as waxing, you should work the wax into the paint until it's almost clear and dry, then wipe off the excess.