GUN First time to a shooting range

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by guchiew, Aug 26, 2003.

1. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

What should I expect? I want to test out a Beretta 92fs. What rules do I need to know? About how much are rentals? Should I buy my ammo somewhere else to save money? What other handguns should I try out? What kind of bullets should I get? Also, how old do you have ot be to go? I am going to bring a few cousins.

2. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Always keep your gun faced down range at all times. Dont put your finger on the trigger till you are ready to shoot. I think you should just buy ammo at the range. Not a lot of difference in price so support the range your going to. Make sure you go with someone that is experienced with firearms. Bring a lot of money. Ammo goes quick. Try to get a hold of the sw 500 and shoot that first before you try anything else. If there is no sw 500 be sure to get a snub nosed .357 and try that. :) JK about the last part. Have fun. :wavey:

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

go to walmart, get the white-box 9mm. 100 rds. for like $10. that should last you for a little while. i'm of the opinion that if the range doesn't offer affordable ammo, then they're not helping the shooters out, so why help them out? you're already paying for range time and rentals, and targets.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The range near me charges like $11.00 per box of 50 rounds of 9mm, so I would definitely go to walmart and get the 100 round value pack for $10.96. All ranges have different rule and regulations, just be sure to follow what they say and don't be afriad to ask questions. If you have a weapons malfunction and you don't know what to do, get a range officer to help you. Usually the other people at the range are very friendly and will help you out too. Just go out and have some fun.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

don't load your weapon until you're ready to fire.

6. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

i shot a 92fs my first time, thought it was uber cool, and i did very well with it
    you should like it

try to shoot a 1911 if you can, they are fun

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i cant seem to find these "whitebox" 100 rounds at my local walmart. what brand are they?

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Winchester value pack, they come loose in a box, there is no styrofoam.

9. CrudeGT

CrudeGT New Member

Some ranges have rules as far as No from-the-hip shooting. Some guys will try to test their reflexes and draw a hip holster and shoot down the range. Some can do it, other shoot themselves in the foot. So the range i go to will kick you out if you are shooting from the hip or holster. Most guys that work at gun shops and ranges are really friendly and laid back. Don't hesitate to ask for help, and don't think you're asking a dumb question, i garauntee someone has asked it before you.