First time sports bike buyer needs advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Suparslinc, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Suparslinc

Suparslinc Member

I'm looking to buy a sports bike, in the $3-$5.5k range.
    I've got alot of questions.
    My experience. I've had two dirtbikes, and a little street experience on my dads old BMW K100 and even got to ride his '01 Road King. I had a learners permit for two summers. If it matters, I'm about 6' and 200 lbs., 23 in 2 monhts. I'm afraid of getting a bike that will be too small or weak for me after a short time. Just curious, how big is the 250 ninja?

The debate of new vs. used. Sure, new Hondas and Suzukis and the like depreciate like crazy, so buying a two year old bike is much cheaper. But so many used ones have been ridden hard.
    And I hear its hard to get a good loan rate from the bank for a bike, they want to charge you 17% even with good credit.
    Dealers seem to offer better finance terms.

The next question, what kind of bike for me? Like I said, I'm not all that experienced. What are some good middle of the road bikes in my price range? I want something thats going to handle intuitively, with a nice smooth power band and decent riding position. I'm just starting to research, and there are so many different choices.

2. Suparslinc

Suparslinc Member

well ninja 250 is out of the picture, dad called it a "girls bike" today.

does anyone understand these financing terms from the manufacturer?

... the Minimum Monthly Payment will be the greater of $15 or 2.5% of the ”New Balance” plus any insurance charges (if applicable). Standard Rate 16.8% APR. For Accounts not kept current, the Default Rate of 20.8% APR will be applied to all balances on your Account. Minimum Finance Charge $1.00.

What do they mean by insurance charges? So is the interest rate 2.5% or is it 16.8%?

Sure I'd qualify with a co-signer and perfect credit history. Just thinking out loud, but if anyone can help thanks

3. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Just buy the bike. Don't finance it. I financed a lot of things in my life, and I'm really looking forward to owning something out right. Also, I'm leaning towards the Kawasaki 250R. I told my father as well, and he's glad. He cares about me. :o Don't listen to anyone but yourself.

Do what YOU want to do.

4. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Base on your height and weight, the 250 maybe a bit small. Try to get a used EX500. If you look hard enough, you can get one in good condition for about $2k. Your first street bike will not be the one you keep. You will drop it and/or crash it. Make sure that you take an MSF class before you buy the bike, and wear your gear all the time.

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

After this F4 I will never buy another used bike. Not that the F4 is doing anything out of the ordinary, it runs and rides like brand new. But after talking to some friends of mine I've heard some pretty bad stories of people beating their bikes all to hell and then selling them.

One guy I know with an R1 has gone through three gearboxes already. Another friend rode that R1 and says it's a complete piece of shit (that particular R1, not all R1's), head shake like crazy at anything over 70 mph, feels like it's about to fall apart.

If I were a new rider I wouldn't even think about buying a brand new bike. Too much invested just to trash it on my first off.

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

A kid down the block keeps redlining it in every gear.

All I hear is... "va va va... vrrooooomm va va va vroooooooom va va va"

:ugh:

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It isn't so much just redlining in each gear, that's not too big of a deal. What tears bikes up is doing clutch wheelies and power shifting, or just not using the clutch at all when you're shifting.

I mean shit, when you're running the 1/4 how much are you really going to gain by power shifting? Maybe a tenth or two? Is it really worth an expensive gearbox?

I'll drag race my bike, but I make sure all the wear is going to the clutch.

8. chevyman

chevyman Guest

buy a used bike...buy gear.. and wear it EVERY time you ride.

My freind just bought bike a couple months ago, and has since bought a second one.

buy used: who cares if it's been beat. you're gonna beat it too. don't spend much money on it, and don't get a huge one. but i would think a 250cc would be more than a bit small given your weight. my freind bought a 750, and i think it was a bit much for a first bike, but not too bad (and he weighs like 170).

be prepared: YOU ARE GONNA WRECK IT at least once. This is why you buy a cheap one. Also, this is why you wear gloves, helmet, jacket, and leathers absolutely every time you ride it. My buddy has wrecked his ninja twice. Once with gear, and once only with a helmet. The time when he was wearing his gear was actually a worse wreck, but it only scratched his arm a little bit. But the other, less serious accident, landed him in the hospital for two days. Bikes are not like cars. Even a fender bender is a painfull and bloody experience. So be careful.

just my $.02

9. Suparslinc

Suparslinc Member

Thanks for the advice. I know riding bikes are dangerous, I've hurt myself on the dirt more than one occasion (had a coupe dirtbikes, been riding before I was old enough to drive).
    I've been reading some about a bike Honda produced from '88-'91; don't remember the exact numbers on it buts its a 250cc with more power than a ninja and some hop-up potential. Anyone have any experience on this bike? I think it was called the intruder for a couple years.

10. Suparslinc

Suparslinc Member

The bike is called the Honda VTR250.

11. bikemike

bikemike Guest

You are not a small ladd, so anything in the 600 jap bikes are good, they are anything as quik as their bigger brothers, 250 a bit small you will be twisting the throtle off in order to wind it up any.
    Im sure if you take your time there is a bike that has been very well looked after - not all guys treat their bikes bad.

I dont know where you live but there must be some sort of superbike school which the insurance companies recognise that you can go to - this will drop the premiums greatly.

Happy hunting for that bike.