GUN First time shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Mar 16, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I posted this in the main forum but of course it didn't get much helpful critism.

[​IMG]

Shooting 115 gr FMJ's from a Glock 19 at 7 yards during my CPL class.

That little bugger that went over the shoulder was part of the ones spread out across the left during my first attempt at taking 5 consecutive shots. The second group of 5 is the giant hole to the lower right.

I'm in no state to be concealed carrying with that kind of accuracy right now IMO, but Wayne County (Detroit) is slow as balls with the application process, around 3 months, so I've got lots of time to get practice in. A friend of mine in Florida is an NRA certified instructor and I'm gonna go down there in late April/May to get a lot of one-on-one time practicing.

I may still take a trip or two to the range just to get comfortable shooting since I only fired off the required 30 rounds which isn't much of anything.

Sure felt good shooting though. :coolugh:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

You did fine, son. Make sure you get one of those crazy 15 round mags and you're good to go.

3. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

that little guy?
    i wouldnt worry about that little guy :o

nice first time tho

4. dano

dano OT Supporter

I've been saying that all day. :rofl:

Thanks guys.

5. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

step 1: purchase snap caps
    step 2: randomly mix snap caps in with ammo in magazines
    step 3: go shooting
    step 4: observe when snap caps are chambered how much you're flinching, etc

If you focus on the front sight, and pull the trigger smoothly, the round will go where you want it to.

Practice with the snap caps mixed in with your ammo and it'll quickly become VERY obvious what you're doing to cause little guys like that to go flying over the shoulder.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's sufficiently accurate for CCW range engagement. But shooting at the range at a static target is only a very small part of the equation.

Handle your gun, a LOT. Learn how your hand is placed on the grip. Learn the controls. Learn what your gun likes, and dislikes. Learn how to clear a jam. Learn how to create a jam. Learn to draw from a holster, learn to draw from your pocket. Learn how to draw sitting down. Learn to reload, there are 3 various reload techniques for defensive shooting. Handle your gun some more. Learn how to shoot strong handed, weak handed. Learn how to shoot on the move. Learn situational awareness. Learn envoirnmental awareness.
    Handle your gun some more. Keep learning until the gun no longer feels like a foreign object in your hand, but rather becomes an extension of your hand.

7. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

+1 to AB13