A&P first time shooting sports (football), need some help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pantheR, Sep 5, 2009.

1. pantheR

pantheR New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    i'm main editor/photographer for OSU's newspaper, so i'll be at all the football games.

heres what i'll be using
    450D (xsi)
    tokina 11-16
    70-200 IS
    i also have a 20d i can use

general tips/advice? this is my first 'real' time shooting sports. tomorrows game is at 12pm and the weather looks great.

thx fellas
  2. derekOT

derekOT New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    me personally, being someone who has shot with a quite wide variety of canon's consumer/prosumer cameras, I don't really trust the AI servo in the newer canon bodies. I have had 2 40D's and both couldn't keep up in AI servo. My 20D/30D/XT however have had no problems in the same situations. With that said, my suggestion would be to use the 20D but you know your XSi better than I do so if your XSi focuses accurately in AI servo go for it :)

11-16 will be great for the venue shots and the scene setters but pretty much once you've taken those shots it won't be used any longer. Can you get anything longer than the 70-200? imo it would be optimal to use a 300mm one one body and the 70-200 on the other.

The other thing is you won't need IS when shooting football since your shutter speeds will need to be extremely quick to stop action.
  3. xenon supra

xenon supra New Member OT Supporter

Feb 3, 2005
    I shot about 4-5 games for georgia tech's newspaper last year. I'm no pro by all means but I figured out a good many things (some more obvious than others), here's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

1. continuous focus mode (isn't it servo on canon or something?) - this is obvious
    2.ANTICIPATE things, if you see it happen through your lens, you missed the shot. its pretty simple, but you really have to predict movement and action or else you wont get the photo. if you want to watch the game, watch the game, otherwise try to take pics before the action happens.
    3. shutter speed 1/800 or higher, 1/1000 if possible should freeze anything (obvious)
    4. f/2.8 for max isolation of your player, if you're shooting with a 70-200 your best shots will come when they are relatively close to you so you can get some isolation, so move around a lot and stay as close to the play as possible. i know for us were only alllowed to shoot on both end zones and up to about the 25 yrd line, after that, u have to walk by and cant take any pics near the benches
    5. GET LOW, lay on the ground if you can, all the good pros do this, the lazy ones don't. this will give you a nice perspective and OOF grass in front of your player which creates depth in the photo
    6. work on timing, you don't always have to shoot as fast as possible, just time it right and one image will do. you're more likely to capture the moment if you time it than if you just blast away.

as far as what to bring, i'd put your 70-200 on your best body cause you'll shoot with that most of the day. then put the 11-16 on the other body for wide shots of the stadium or if they are too close for the 70-200.

do you have a 24-70 or mid range lens that you can put on the 20d for if they are like right in front of you and 70mm is too far? cause you won't get shit for action with that 11-16...

good luck, post pics, you'll get some good critique afterwards from OTAP.