A&P First time poster BEGINNER

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by WasaWasa, Apr 6, 2009.

1. WasaWasa

WasaWasa OT Supporter

hi guys,
    this is the first time i buy a SLR camera and want to get serious about photography mainly cause i need a new hobby after quitting gambling.
    well i wanted to know if something like this would be suitable for someone like me.
    i really don't know much about photography but want to learn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-D40x-10-2MP-D-SLR-DIGITAL-CAMERA-3-LENS-8GB-KIT_W0QQitemZ120399013852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item120399013852&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

my budget is somewhere around 500-1000. is this a good budget for a beginner?

any advice is welcome.
    kthxbai

2. WasaWasa

WasaWasa OT Supporter

oh and where do u guys recommend buying? any website with good prices?

3. Chicle

Chicle New Member

I don't know much about nikon so i'm not sure if that is a good deal or not. But for buying things Amazon, B&H (bhphotovideo.com), and Adorama (adorama.com) seem to be the best places

4. wrong1

wrong1 Member

That ebay package is loaded with fail. Stick with reputable online retailers such as B&H...adorama etc... or try to find decent used stuff local to you. Or even through the forums like this one... FM.. nikoncafe.. etc.

For what its worth Id sell u my gripped d80 (aftermkt grip), 18-55, 55-200 with a d80 users guide dvd tossed in for good measure along with a 4 gig card. Camera has about 8500 clicks on it.

Also included would be the boxes the lenses came in along with uv filters body cap all lens caps wires etc. Really as a beginer it would be all you need and more. I havent settled on a price yet, but I wont refuse a fair offer.

5. WasaWasa

WasaWasa OT Supporter

i shall do some research and talk to my cousin who's a wannabe photographer and get back to u

6. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Yeah, used d40 for 500... no fucking way. Make Wrong1 an offer (or if he'd do you a solid, he could suggest a fair price) for that d80, and you won't get raped for shit.

7. AF Rugby

AF Rugby Gun in my mouth, I pray for the sunshine

just so you know i got near perfect d40 outfit, for 200 bucks off craigslist.. most d40's used i see with a lens go for around 300..

8. wrong1

wrong1 Member

well Im having a hard time coming to terms with a price... but here it goes. Looking on amazon and adorama the d80 with 18-55vr is $899, the 55-200 vr is $180.

Now if Im buying used I dont do it unless I can save 30%. So say $750? Keep in mind Im also including an aftermarket grip, 4 gig card, 2 filters, nikon wireless remote shutter release, and instructional dvd. The 2 lenses are barely used.

I dont think I have the owners manual any more but they are readily available on line for free.

Anyway thats the ball park im thinking. My honest opinion on the gear I have is this. If I was to try to find a flaw on any of it, it would be the grip. Its an aftermarket grip and the shutter release sticks... In other words you have to push it harder than you would have to push the nikon shutter release. Other than that everything is in like new/ barely used condition.

If you decide that you are interested email me at [email protected]. I'll be happy to provide pictures of it all.

9. vbp6us

vbp6us New Member

10. Drunken Karnie Midget

Dude, that's more than fair.

11. wrong1

wrong1 Member

I agree. I think actually Im taking a beating on it... but the d700 and 28-70 I just bought makes me a motivated seller.... that should be read "if I dont sell some gear Im going to get divorced" :o

12. wrong1

wrong1 Member

13. Drunken Karnie Midget

The angry woman with a rollingpin standing over your shoulder can make for some good motivation. :hsugh:

14. AF Rugby

AF Rugby Gun in my mouth, I pray for the sunshine

id like to buy that 55 - 200 if this guy isn't interested..