A&P First time portrait stuff, critique (again!!)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ingen, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Yep, finally took some pics of my friend who happened to be begging me to since november. This obviously isn't all the pics I took, but they'll do nicely to give you teh basic idea. Critique?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Teh modest :tup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I let her do the posing, next time I intend to be a little more assertive about how she positions herself for the shot. yes, that's horribly disgusting if you'r ein the right frame of mind, and it made me laugh. Hope ya like em, and PLEASE CRITIQUE!! Thanks.

2. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

some of them need better lighting, it looks hash on her face.

the last one is my favorite

3. furious_vibes

furious_vibes New Member

they're pretty good... i think you could've shot them in a more visually stimulating location (the park doesn't do much for me)

i like the 4th one...

4. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

They are all clear, you just need to work on lighting. Since they are all in focus and what not with moderate white balance, you can play with it in photoshop. The one on the bench is my favorite because I love the depth of field that one has. Nice job.

5. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I let her pick the locations this time (not smart I guess?) and tried to get done halfway fast. This was her first tmie modeling and my first time shooting portrait stuff. The harsh light couldn't be helped, I was using the available lighting (sun) with a polarizer on to try to fix that glare as best I could.

6. Nick

Nick Guest

If you want to get into outdoor portraits I'd consider buying a large diffuser, last time I checked I don't think they were too expensive. It will make that harsh lighting a lot better.

edit: Also the time of day you do it will make a huge difference in the lighting. I like mornings or evenings when the sun is near the horizon, especially on a slightly overcast day.

7. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

Women look better when shot from a slight higher angle, it slims down the face, also try doing some facial posing instead of a full frontal.
    www.esohodepot.com
    goto AIFL, portraiture, portraiture resources. This website has awesome info about portraits

8. I don't like any of them. Keep trying.

I'll give you a few tips. I work with girls ALL THE TIME.. If you don't believe me that's fine.

Anyways. BE ASSERTIVE. Tell them what you want them to do, If they strike a pose that you do not like just tell them "no" or "try something else".

Also If you're shooting Inside you can use a mirror. Girls like posing infront of a mirror because they can see what they look like.

I don't know how to put this better but only girls that have modeled before or always look at themselves in the mirror know what angles they look good. eh I don't konw how to say it. Girls that havn't modeled dont know how to pose unless they are infront of a mirror.

9. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i think the fourth one would be nice if it was tightly cropped on her and the bench with less background, and with her head tilted up slightly, so that she is looking up past her hair :dunno:

10. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

The lighting is flat and boring. You need to shoot wide open with that kind of background. Your best shots are the closest with the shallowest depth of field. Your model is very cute, but needs a wardrobe stylist and a hair & make-up artist (check the local community college). Your off to a good start, keep shooting.

11. SmokeTheFly

SmokeTheFly New Member

get rid of the crap makeup.

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

To be honest, these are no better than snapshots. Here are a few tips to help you in the future.

1.Watch your backgrounds. A background that is too "busy" takes away from the subject. Use a longer lens to flatten the subjects face and throw the background out of focus. If you don't have a longer lens, find a background that is neutral, like a wall or distance trees, etc. Don't place your subject in front of a tree or bush.

2.Direct sunlight is not the best light for portraits. Postition your subject so that she is backlit by the sun and use fill flash or at the least, get yourself a 3'x3' white foamcore or posterboard and use it to bounce the sunlight back onto the subject.

3. Have your subject wear clothing that doesn't distract from her. You're shooting a portrait, not a fashion assignment. Have her wear a simple blouse or top.

4. Get her to laugh once in a while and snap a pic.

5. Try positioning your camera slightly above her eye line and have her look up. This will minimize her chin.

6. Focus on her eyes and make sure they sparkle. You can do this by simply placing a small flashlight next to your lens. The eyes are the window into a persons soul and they should shine.

7. Shoot tighter shots. Your first shot is an example of this. There is nothing wrong with shooting wider shots as long as the background is pleasent and relates to the subject.

8. Experiment with different poses, but above all, they must appear natureal.

13. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

Ingen how do you get girls like that to pose for you?:rofl: Is she single?:naughty:

On another note, I'm suprised by these from you, and not in a good way. The backgrounds are definately way too distracting and take away from the subject. You may need to invest in a reflector as well, if you're going to keep using natural light outdoors.

14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'll answer that for you. Women love to pose and they love the attention that a photographer gives them. I use to shoot nudes way back when and all I would do is simply ask a girl if she would pose for me. Nine times out of ten she would agree. I told her that I was a professional and simply looking to add to my portfolio. I would give the girl prints in exchange. Frankly I was surprised at how easy it is to talk women out of their clothes.

15. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

I know what you mean, it was more of a joke since I talk to Ingen on AIM and he is a big nerd;)

16. Ingen

Ingen New Member

OH yeah? Well I have an avatar and you don't. So :bowdown: to me, n00b.

I know I'm not good at portraiture, I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. Think of these as my first shots ever, because as far as I'm concerned it's completely different. The natural stuff I've always done is easier because I don't have to deal with the human dynamic and a hyper 17 yr old blonde as my model. Oh well, new challenges? :hsdance:

Now I know why Adams never did many portraits.

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Pick up a portrait book. You gotta have a reflector, preferably silver for digital. Have your subject look towards the center of the frame instead of away.

18. Nick

Nick Guest

Why silver for digital?

19. Ingen

Ingen New Member

:werd:

Why not the white poster board? Seems so cost effective since I intend to do this whole portraiture thing about once or twice a year. I'm a nature guy :) Just works better for meh.

20. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's fine too. Gold produces strange results depending on the time of the day

21. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

gold reflectors work best on black people or people with dark skin. White or silver work best on white or light skinned people.