GUN First time Handgun buyer v. What Am I looking for?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1200mk, Nov 22, 2007.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

Which caliber, size, etc am I looking for when it comes to buying my first handgun? And how time and work is involved in cleaning a gun?

The main purpose of the gun is for taking to the Range and home protection.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

You're looking for this link:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1582007

The sticky that talks specifically about this.

To sum up the sticky
    A smaller caliber is best for a new shooter: .22LR, 9mm
    Get the gun that you feel most comfortable with, has the best feel, fits your hand best...

Most people clean the gun after each range trip and that's not a bad idea. Most new semi-autos don't require it but it won't do any harm. To clean a gun after a range trip a simple field strip is needed (different for each gun), wipe down the gun with a cleaner/lubricant, clean the barrel out (boresnake is the best tool for this), lightly oil, reassemble, voila.

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Glock 19

/Thread.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

+1

Just put a couple mags through mine this morning :cool:

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Or Glock 17, don't worry about cleaning

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Get a Desert Eagle .50AE.

7. TURTL3

TURTL3 blah

I'm planning on buying a G19 soon, I've used my friends G22 and it's just too big, so I'm dropping down to a smaller, easier to fire gun. They're easy to maintain, and easy to use.

8. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Follow the link to the thread and listen to what is posted there. Go to a nice store with as many handguns as possible and handle them all. Find what is comfortable in your hand. Ask some friends if they have any. See if they will take you shooting. Post specific questions here. If you narrow it down to a brand, look and find a forum for that brand. Glock, Sig, S&W and pretty much all other major brands have active and friendly forums where you can get info and advice. OT is a great place too.

My opinion for caliber is 9mm. As for gun, my fav is a Sig 226. Others have already posted Glocks. Hold em. Ask the salesperson to strip them for you. See what feels best and go from there.

BTW, welcome. Chances are this will only be the first firearm you purchase. Welcome to the addiction. AR15s and shotguns and sniper rifles will not be far behind :cool:

9. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

Trooph....

10. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

I'd start off with a 9mm because they tend to be more reasonably priced and cheaper ammo

11. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I started out with a Glock 17. Loved every minute of it. Kinda wished I had a G19 instead though. The 19 is just a great balance of both worlds.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Go to the range and start renting guns. You will notice that everyone so far has recomended Glocks. Personally, I don't ever plan on buying one because I can't stand the way that they feel in my hands. YOU are the best decider for what to get.

That being said, unless you are already shooting handguns alot, I would start with either a 9mm or a .45ACP. Some people think 9mm is way better for beginners, but I have more luck getting people to enjoy shooting and shoot accuractly with the .45 :dunno:

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Take some safety/training classes, and shoot a bunch of guns. You want one that feels comfortable to you, with controls you can reach and use properly, etc. You'll know it when you feel it after you have some experience. if you buy any other way you're just guessing.