First time DIY: What to do when you first hook up a subwoofer to a plate amp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Mar 3, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Never done this before and havent gotten the parts yet. Atlas 12" is out on the delivery truck right now and 250W plate amp should be here on Saturday. Im building a 3ft^3 vented enclosure tuned to about 25 hz. Is there anything on the reciever I should change (JVC V1024BK) before I start playing music? Is there anything wrong with tuning it differently than what the original box/sub was made for? Original Adire alignment called for 20 hz.

What do you guys use to measure circles to cut out holes?

Here is the enclosure im trying to build.
    http://www.slottweak.com/Shiva2.htm

Subwoofer and low Q setup.
    http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas%2012.htm
    http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas%2012%20low%20Qts%20T-S%20specs.htm

Plate Amp
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_amplifiers/rythmik250/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. 04

04 Guest

On the reciever, you'll probably want to set it up so that all the bass is redirected from the main speakers to the subwoofer, but that depends on the speakers you are using.

I use a Jasper circle jig for a router, and it pretty much measures the hole for you as it cuts. Do you have a router, or are you going to use a jigsaw?

In your case, tuning to 25hz rather than 20hz would be a good idea IMO. The woofer has a nice (simulated in WinISD) response with a 3cuft enclosure tuned to 25hz. You'll probably get a bit more output at higher frequencies due to the higher frequency tuning as well.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Going to use a jigsaw. I thought about getting a router and the Jasper jig for $25 but I dont see myself using it much to get back my investment. Whats a good inexpensive router I can look for at Home Depot or Lowes or Sears? I think the cheapest one Harbor Freight has is $40.

Ill take some pics of the Atlas tonight if anyone wants to see it.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

I dont have experience with any other high quality subs but this thing looks impressive and weighs a good amount. :eek:

5. 04

04 Guest

I'd definatly like to see pics (I've been strongly considering buying the Atlas 15") :bigthumb:

Anyways, If you dont plan on doing a lot of projects, IMO youd be better off just using the jigsaw. If you take your time, you can get great results.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  7. johnson

johnson New Member

What gauge should I use from the speaker to amp?

How do I found out what size T Nuts I need? I forgot to order them with my last parts express order and they ship at $8 minimum. :(

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

12awg will be just fine for 250RMS. Probably overkill even for such a short run, but it can't hurt.

I'm not sure what a T Nut is, could you describe what function it serves?

9. johnson

johnson New Member

Called up Home Depot and the largest they have is 14g for $.22 a foot. What are good name brands for speaker wire? Ill probably order off ebay since itll be cheaper.

Instead of screwing straight into the wood to hold your speaker, you use t nuts so you can take the screws in and out as many times as you want without ruining the thread.

You can see them in a few pics in the link.
    http://www.slottweak.com/Shiva2.htm

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=081-1070&scqty=1

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  10. johnson

johnson New Member

Sorry for the late pics....just took these this morning. I brought down my camera bag with two batteries but no charger and both batteries were dead. I could only take a few snaps so it didnt shut off on me.

Atlas came in a box a little bit bigger than the sub itself with a piece of plastic cover for the cone. No instructions or paperwork were included (not that you need it).
    [​IMG]

It has two sets of connecters; silver and gold. The silver one is what you connect to your amp. Very nice connecters by the way, very convienent. All you do is push in and insert your wires because it's spring loaded.
    [​IMG]

The gold one is so that you can change your Q's. Short it out with a wire if you want low. Stick a 1.5ohm resistor if you want mid. And leave it open if you want high. I asked Chad about including a resistor with each sub but havent gotten an answer yet. Theyre only $1 for 5 at Radio Shack.
    [​IMG]

Here's the completed box. I didnt get started on the circles till about 7PM last night. I took the pieces outside and they fell about 5 feet to the ground and some of the corners got damaged. I didnt think anything of it until I screwed in one of the corners (the one on the bottom in the pic) and it split the mdf. Hopefully I sealed it up good. Circles were a bitch to cut with a jigsaw, the smaller ones were harder (only 4" diameter). Was using a cordless DeWalt one and battery ran out on both.
    [​IMG]

By the time I started putting the pieces together it was 9PM so it was a rush job. I didnt even measure the brace placement good and had to cut 1/4" off one of them so the front board will fit. I went to test fit the sub this morning and it was perfect. Had about two inches clearance each way from the magnet. Im guessing the Shiva and Atlas have about the same dimensions.
    [​IMG]

Here is the 3" port kit I got for $20 at Acoustic-Visions. It was more expensive than Parts Express but I ordered the amp from them also so shipping evened out the price. I still need to shorten the center part to 8" I think.
    [​IMG]

Nice kevlar with carbon fiber as the center piece. ::)
    [​IMG]

Gotta help my friend put in some carpet so ill see you guys later.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  11. 04

04 Guest

VERY :cool: The driver looks great, and I like the carbon fiber dustcap.

How close are you to finishing the enclosure? :)

12. johnson

johnson New Member

Just got done installing the amp, port, and woofer. Testing it out right now in my friends basement. I plugged in my laptop to the RCA ports on the amp and he said it sounds good...I cant tell because only the woofer is connected, no mids or highs.

13. johnson

johnson New Member

Played Little John's Get Low song and :coold:.

14. johnson

johnson New Member

Sucks. I finally brought it home and my reciever has a sub pre-out but you can only access the menu with a remote and tv.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2005
  15. 04

04 Guest

johnson, sorry about editing your post :doh: I accidentally hit the edit button instead of reply :o

Anyways, You cant access it using the recievers display?

You checked the manual, right?

16. johnson

johnson New Member

Nope. From what I saw in the manual (got it from jvc website), it says to press the menu button on the remote and it brings up different menus on the tv.

17. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

18. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

Holy Back From the Grave, Batman!

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

seeing stuff like this makes me want to try some DIY