First Time Diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Dominion, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

I've been living my life so far eating whatever I want when I want, and it's gotten me to 300+ lbs. So for the first time in my 19 years I'm dieting and exercising and I've lost 10 lbs already by exercise alone (eating off all the fat foods in my apartment so once they're gone they're gone)

Now, my question, I've been looking at alot of different diets online, some places have said to focus on low calories and per someone else I know I signed up for a mens health online trainer/diet program. Those diets point to 5000 calories as well as alot of other calculators I've used.

Is that healthy? As I understand it the fewer calories I eat the better off I am. CAn someone explain the concept to me?

Second I've got my target date's set for 6 month increments, what's a good healthy weight to lose? Total right now I'm at 350ish (scale is slightly broken, so it's within 5-7 lbs)

If anyone needs to know I'm also 6foot and I'm not all body fat, I am fat, but I'm not as big as some people I've seen at my weight.

IBomgyour350+lbsyoufatpeiceofshit
    Atleast I'm trying :o

2. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Try 2500-3000 calories while getting 400g of protein 25% of those calories from fat, and the rest from carbs. Also be sure to get in 6-12g of fish oil. See what happens after a couple of weeks.

3. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

NO, 400g of protein is retarded and around 1600 calories.

4. Dominion

What the hell would I use fish oil in? :p

Also when you say 25% of cal from fat, I understand that part, look on the label and it says fat calories. But what about the carb cals? Is that a normal Cal? I am a true newb when it comes to nutrition and dieting :p

5. Dominion

if 400g is bad, what is good?

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

1600? i'm cutting on 2k and i weigh'd 180 (my purpose is not to get huge, i'm a sprinter, olympic sprinters are ~160lbs)

7. Dominion

When everyone says cutting, what does that mean exactly?

8. jonno

jonno New Member

losing weight

9. jonno

jonno New Member

i'd start cals around 2500 and protein at 300-400. get on a good lifting routine and throw in some cardio and you should do great.

10. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

you'll hear bulking and cutting used alot. bulking is eatting excess calories to gain weight (both muscle and fat), cutting is generally after bulking in which you lose fat and retain ur muscle giving you that "cut" look.

11. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

Thanks. I had no idea protein had so many calories per gram. better lower it to 50g and eat more delicious carbs. :hsugh:

12. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

:werd:

13. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

No offense but....doesn't sound like you are trying too hard. I can't imagine ever thinking "I need to lose weight, better eat up all the shitty food so that I can't eat it later. . . ."

14. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

yeah nothing over 3,000 calories and shoot for about 2,500. also, fucking megadose the fish oil and flax seed oil. take as much as you can afford, i'd say at least 10g a day.

also, props on getting yourself in gear...good luck and we'll always be here for you

15. Dominion

Strangely even though I'm doing it, I agree with you. Giving all my non-perishable fatty food to goodwill today and all my meat I am giving to another one of my friends. He's fat too but doesn't care, so it's a good match. I don't think I have any skinny friend lol, I guess that's what's going to make this so hard. Taking some before pictures tonight.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I was basing this post on the rest of offtopic and I was expecting all the brolys to tell me to fuck off and get off their forums :hs:

16. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Glad to hear it. If you give it your all I think you will definitely end up happy with the results.

I don't think the broly's mind new guys as long as they put all their effort into their goals.

17. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:hs: Keep the meat.

Sign up for www.fitday.com, try to keep your calories around 2500-2700 as stated, eat around 250g of protein. Also try getting into a gym if you can, lift weights and do some cardio.

For reference...
    1g carb = 4 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories
    1g fat = 9 calories

18. Dominion

I have a gym where I work I can use for free, has elipticals, treadmills, standard cardio type equipment, row thing, has 2 weight machines, full set of weights with one of those auto spotter things, lots of free weights, almost a full sized gym, but smaller. Plus it's free :)

I think maybe once I get passed the basic equipment here I might sign up for one.

And pardon my thingies and domahickys, I'm not sure what all the equipment is called :)

How does fitday compare to the mens health personal trainer? Does it also track your workouts?

Edit: Just checked out fitday and it's free :big grin: It's great for some things I plan on using it for, mainly diet, I've got a program here I'm going to try out that's for OSX (Don't have a PC) so we'll see how that goes, but I like how fitday works :)

The toughest part for me is building my diet and designing my work out. Might give mens health a go once for the 3 months, unless I find something else.

I'd love to get a fitness person to sit down with me and build a custom weekly thing. And show me how to compound on my own, just doesn't fit in my budget right now.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  19. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

1. fuck men's health. the amout of bs misinformation in that mag is absurd.

2. it sounds like you need to sit down and read everything on this forum, other websites, etc, and learn a little about nutrition, metabolism, and fat loss.

20. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

you need to go kill yourself. Do you think in any facet or form his body will be able to use 400g of protein most of the smart ones on this board won't go over 250 including pur.

21. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

competing and dieting i use 350ish but off season its more like 250 for me. This guy stripped down would barely be 200... he hasnt developed muscle yet so wtf would have him eat 400 protein to start. His stomach would be a wreck..he needs to ease into this slowly. Should start by figuring out what your eating for calories a day and clean them up and cut out 500 a week until your dropping 1-2 pounds a week on average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.