First time cuttin v. Is it normal to feel deflated after only 1 week?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ilovepie, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovepie

ilovepie Guest

I recently started cutting for the first time in my life, and while I can already tell I'm looking thinner (probably from less water retention, because I don't think I could've lost a lot of fat in 1 week), I also feel like my muscles shrank a lot, most noticeably my pecs. :wtc: I guess this is part of the cutting process, right? My plan is to lose my extra fat, since I've been at 17-18% FOREVER, then when I get to around 10% I'll try to keep it around that all the time.

2. benny196

benny196 New Member

How much did you weigh before the cut? (just curious) I haven't cut before so I'm not sure.

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

I'm assuming you are low-carbing.

4. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

what does your diet look like?

5. ilovepie

ilovepie Guest

Yeah, I try to cut carbs after noon. Here's what I had to eat yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 peanut butter toasts with a big glass of skim milk

Snack: Yogourt totaling about 120 cals and 10g of proteins + 1 scoop of whey

Lunch: 2 tuna pita's + veggies

Snack: Protein shake

Diner: Chicken + cottage cheese

6. ilovepie

ilovepie Guest

By the way, I started doing more cardio, I plan to do at least 3 sessions of 30 mins of eliptical and 2 sessions of running outside per week.

7. Chris3G

unless you are 120 lbs that looks like too few calories to be starting with. Going from 18 to 10 percent is going to take you at least 16 weeks and you've giving yourself nowhere to go.

8. ilovepie

ilovepie Guest

I'm 5'6-5'7 (not sure really) 170lbs right now. The problem is I wasn't tracking what I was eating before, so I can't say "I'll eat X and Y instead of A and B, which will lower my calories by 250" :( I always tried to eat relatively clean, and I made sure to eat lots of chicken, cottage cheese, tuna, etc. However, I know I shot myself in the foot by not tracking everything, because now I don't know exactly how much I have to eat to progressively lower my calories.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

10. archangel

archangel Active Member

are you a personal trainer? you look great

11. shastaisforwinners

:rofl: Most PTs look like ass

12. archangel

archangel Active Member

Right!? I use to workout at Lifetime and all the trainers look horrible. I'm at LA fitness now and I see a few that look strong. But i also see a few powerlifters w/ the bulkbelly and some that look like they've never picked up weights.

13. shastaisforwinners

welcome to commercial gyms

14. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

yeah it's normal to feel deflated thats why refeeds were invented! FTMFW!

15. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

That pretty much sums it up if you're low-carbing. Re-feed every 1-2 weeks depending upon your carbs and deflation and you'll bloat right up for about 2-3 days and feel huge. Then you'll feel leaner than ever after 5 days :o.

I just keep it consistent now, I don't re-feed all that often, whereas I used to do it weekly, now I just do it whenever. I've cut probably 5 times, so I'm fairly experienced with what my body wants. Everyone is different though... part of the joy is learning about yourself :). I have lowish carbs and I wind up deflated after about 5-7 days. I don't do strict weekly carb cycling anymore though, it wasn't working for me I need more cutting time between refeeds and shorter refeeds.

16. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

you're 5'7'' 170? and you're cutting?

17. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

5'6.5 and 160 near the end of my cut. :hs:

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I don't understand what is up with people cutting at such low weight. The essence of a cut is to tear down the fat you built up while eating like a horse to put on as much muscle as possible. I cannot imagine someone at 160lbs having enough muscle built on them to justify a real cut.

At that point isn't it just dieting to be skinny v. Brad pitt-fight club OMG?

19. ilovepie

ilovepie Guest

Yes, to be honest the main reason why I'm cutting is because I have running tests in half a year, which I'm having troubles with. Besides, I have never seen my abs, so it should be interesting.

20. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

hey chris, I tried cutting 3 months before christmas and I did alright but I recently joined a ML football team and they want me up to 270. I lost 15 lbs and I've already gained 20 int he past two months haha. So I'm just wondering what is your cutting diet. I don't plan on being 270 for long, just for the season and I want to cut immediately afterwards. I don't think my previous cut was all that great because I didn't get much definition, just lost weight. Any info is greatly appreciated!

21. Chris3G

if you feel like you lost a large amount of muscle along with fat last time, it could be a bunch of things - calories too low, insufficient protein, your training... a big drop in your lifting strength is a pretty good indicator.

i'm starting at 3000 calories this year, mostly lean proteins from meat and eggs, fats from nuts and omega3, and fibrous carbs like broccoli and spinach. And carb reefeds every few days with oats and such.

22. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I dunno I thought I did. Here's me before my cut http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2663127&highlight=chacha

I kept to the same routine (bill star modified) and I just took what I was eating and decreased it. Took a few high cal things out like granola bars and pb&j. It got pretty boring but I stuck to it.

I saw slight decrease in strength but in most cases I just stayed the same. My squat and deadlift got slightly better but my bench just lingered. Is your diet in the logs?

23. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, get a set diet to begin with. Just by making sure you get enough protein and to know how much carbs/fat/cals you eat is going to help you a lot. Your body composition should change while on maintenance cals if your diet is finely tuned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.