GUN First time at an actual range.....video

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kong, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Kong

Kong ender wiggin was a badass

Ok, I've had guns in the past, but that was like 10 years ago. Today, I went shooting at the range with my girlfriend, who brought her Keltec p32, and a friend who brought his Glock 21 .45acp. We decided to video tape all of this for the hell of it, so here is a clip of me shooting 13 rounds from 75 ft. Is that decent, can I do ALOT better, and what if anything can I or should I change about the way I'm shooting?

http://www.nuclearbox.com/silicon/gunstuff/range_112704_chris_glock21_75ft_(divx1200-blend).avi

I've got another video being encoded right now too...

2. Kong

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You really want free shooting advice on the Internet? :rofl:

Here are some things I saw in your shooting:

The video was choppy but you looked safe. That's most important. Finger off the trigger while loading, muzzle in a safe direction...

Your grip is inconsistent. You are using some bastardization of the "Cup and Saucer" grip. Your support hand thumb is all over the place. You are gripping too hard with your right hand and not at all with your left. Read up on the "thumbs forward grip" and try it.

You are also looking for your hits. You lower the gun to see where your last bullet went. Don't worry about where it hit. It's gone. You can't bring it back so don't worry about it. Only worry about your next shot. Looking for hits causes a rush to lower the gun and can lead to vertical stringing (which you have). Try this. Tell yourself, "One shot. Two sight pictures." Keep your focus on your front sight even through recoil. Don't even look at the target until you are done with your magazine.

Work on a slow steady trigger press. Not being there in person I can’t tell if you are jerking the trigger but with you shooting indoors with a Glock 21 and not having shot in a long time you probably were. There really are only two important factors to making good hits with a pistol: sight picture and trigger press. Everything else (grip, stance, breathing, whatever) just aids you in getting those two things right. Dry firing can help with a proper trigger press.

Sure, you can do a lot better but you didn't do all that badly for a guy who hasn't shot in 10 years.

If you are interested in fixing the mechanics of your shooting buy Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting". I think it would really help you improve. Better yet, take a class from Andy. He lives and teaches in FL.

4. Kong

Excellent.......thanks for the advice, I'll look into those things.

BTW, do you mean this Andy Stanford? It says they have classes in Haines City, not too far from where I live.

http://optionsforpersonalsecurity.com/

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

That's the right Andy Stanford. He's a very good instructor and you should take a class from him if you are interested in improving your shooting. You will learn so much in your first class you will wish you had taken training sooner.