TAT First tattoo idea...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sirreal, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

First time poster in here, but I'm read quite a bit of the threads.

I'm looking to get my first tattoo, and I am looking for suggestions of placement and size.

I know some people have what I am getting, but it actually means something to me on a personal level.

I am looking to get The Great Wave by Hokusai somewhere on me, but again, not sure where or size.

For reference: [​IMG]

Growing up, this poster was behind our kitchen table. My father is very into asian influences, and growing up my brother and I were always in martial arts and it grew on us. My dad is a very very unique guy, as he grew up Catholic, with his mother (my nana) being a nun before coming out of the convent and having 4 kids. He is very open minded and taught us at a young age to basically sample life, to look at other cultures and religions and take what makes most sense to us or appeals to us and make it our own.

I grew up staring at this poster and it reminds me of my dad any time I see it. I just love it.

I've seen pics of it in black and gray shading on one guy's calf (if I can find them I will post them) and I love it, but I am not sure that is where I want it, so I figured I would see what you guys think :hsd:

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

It's a great idea. Just remember that if you want a lot of the detail in it, you'll need to get it BIG.

3. Kdanzig

Kdanzig Guest

get it on your back and it would have to be big for detail

4. sirreal

I was thinking my upper back would be ideal. I have seen some people just get the wave itself maybe on their upper outer shoulder, but I want Mt. Fiji in the back, along with the boats and people.

5. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

not something that i'd get myself.. dont have any azn pieces but i will say that make sure you choose an artist who specifically does this sort of work and of course, quality comes before quantity...

so make sure you do your research before you get in deep because something this big can end up coming out bad if you go to the wrong person.

6. sirreal

Yeah, I agree. There is a local guy here in New Hampshire named Doug Mendoza ( http://www.tatbro.com/artists.html ) who is amazing. I've seen his work on people and I love his style and think he would do a great job. I'll talk it over with him before I commit to anything though.

7. chemicalviper

chemicalviper OT Supporter

Looks like we both like this painting lol

8. Seraph

Seraph Guest

It's Mt. Fuji, and yes I would recommend keeping it in the tattoo. Mt. Fuji is the whole focus of the painting as it's from a series of 36 paintings intended to demonstrate the size and beauty of Mt. Fuji.

9. monkey majic

monkey majic New Member

i would put it on my side, start from the back, wrap around the ribs to the front. i think that would look really good and be big enuff to keep the detail.

10. ctfalconk

ctfalconk New Member

thats a good idea.. iam trying to figure out what i want for my first tattoo something that means something like this does.. i would get that if i were you for sure

11. sirreal

Yeah, I've seen it about 10 million times since I was a kid and it never gets old.

12. sirreal

Yeah, I like a lot of the others too, but this is special to me. I think it would look like a normal wave without it.

13. monkey majic

monkey majic New Member

14. sirreal

15. sirreal