A&P First Studio Shoot (workshop) CC please, lots of pics

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Section8, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Section8

Section8 .

So i signed up for a studio workshop at our local rental studio, $35. I was there for about 5 hours, 2 models to work with and all the studio lights. There were only 7 photogs there and we split up between the two models, taking turns using the pocket wizards.

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot, met some cool people. Anyway here are some of the shots. (These progress in the order we shot too, so I think the better shots are more towards the end as I got more comfortable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. - This one I applied an action to because of the gel'd lights, but I can't remember which one it was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. - my favorite of the shoot

[​IMG]

This next set was shot with an Alien Bee Ring Flash, and jesus fuck what a monster that was as I'm sure some of you know. Hand held and firing with a PC cable that kept popping out, but what beautiful light - amazing that this light is all from one source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to keep my PP to a minimum but i did apply actions to two shots above, and did some dodging/burning on a few to lighten the redhead's eyes. All shot with my 28-70mm which i love even more than ever after this shoot. :bowdown:

There are a few that i need to fire up in CS4 to clone out scuffs on the floor and that chick's bra lace kept popping out.

edit:// I reuploaded the images so the order and numbering might not be the same as when i first posted

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the corner of her bra that is sticking out in almost every shot bothers me.

3. Section8

Section8 .

Yeah, that is bothering me too but I was tired last night and didn't feel like cloning it out. I'll probably do that when i get home today.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

they also look very posey. but you can't really control their modeling skills.

i think you did a pretty good job

5. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

don't quit your day job

6. Section8

Section8 .

Thanks, the models are just starting too so that's kind of explains that I guess. I was more concerned with learning to use the lights than anything else.

7. Section8

Section8 .

I'm sure you've never done anything for the 1st time in your life either :ugh:

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Looking good for your first time! One thing to consider for your next shoot is the height of the key light. On a couple of shots (#4 and 5), you've got the light placed lower than her head. This gives you some funky shadows/highlights that don't look natural. Keeping the key light above the lens will help to separate the head and neck line.

Another issue is the shadows from her hair falling across her face. Move the hair out of the way or bring the key light directly over the camera to help eliminate these.

Nice job on the ring light shots!

9. Section8

Section8 .

Thanks for the tips! Shots 4 and 5 was actually shot with 1 light behind her and low, with a large reflector in front of her and slightly to camera right. The guy running it asked us what we wanted to do and I asked for a silhouette shot with a fill light in front, and instead he did that.

That ring light was bad ass, i really like using that. The guy teaching me that also gave me some pointers on my framing of the model because I was all over the place at first :rofl:

He's going to do another more advanced class soon with 3 or more lights with different timing, as well as a class on posing models and what not. Hope he keeps the $35 price :x:

10. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

The second model reminds me of that bitchy girl from Waiting with the huge bush.

11. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Might just be me but WB seems a bit off (too warm).

12. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

a quick tip that I've picked up in my limited studio experience. usually it's dark in the room and the only light is when the strobe fires. take a flash light or some sort of source and hit the models face with. this will keep the pupils from dilating and you'll get more color in the eyes (especially on the closeups, rather than a huge black space i.e. 4, 5, 9, & 10) the power of the strobe will over power the other light.

of course she could just have really big pupils :dunno:

13. Section8

Section8 .

good eye ;) i had actually set my WB to cloudy because the redhead was kind of pale - i wanted to warm up her skin. is it too much? I shot in raw so i could back it down but i kind of like her skin tone :dunno:

Great tip, thanks! yeah, i was having a hard time focusing on her at times because the overheads were off and the modeling lights didn't put out enough light for the AF to work well. I also didn't notice her huge pupils until i started doing some PP. Thanks!

14. Lol McRofles

Lol McRofles Lollers OT Supporter

I can only imagine how bad I would do in my first studio setting. These are pretty good, and all of it for $35. I don't know much about studio work, but that seems like a deal to me, I'd sign up for it.

15. wheresthejon

wheresthejon OT Supporter

[​IMG]

HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER!

16. Section8

Section8 .

17. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

Ringlights work much better as fill or off camera IMO. I don't really care for the straight on ringlight look.

18. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Lets see a colder one with her natural skin color.

19. Section8

Section8 .

I need to fix the links, i did some retouching last night and reuploaded them all and consequently broke the links.

I'll cool off the tone on one and upload it when i get home.

20. Section8

Section8 .

Here's a shot from the very beginning of the shoot, wasn't one of my picks so i did no PP on it:

[​IMG]

Now here's one that I shot in cloudy WB, as shot first, then i cooled it off 2nd:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

That's a great price. I think I paid a lot more for just a studio, and some old shitty lights. :o

22. Section8

Section8 .

yeah, they rent the studio out for $50/ hour and you get to use their lights, triggers, etc too.

23. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

couple things I noticed...when you're shooting from the side and they lift their arms, don't let them drop their chin. You do not want the shoulder to block their chin/face.

When posing and they're putting weight on an arm be careful of what I call "alien arm". They pose and put weight on the arm in what is a natural way, but it gives the arm an awkward bend that is magnified in photos.

also, watch your cropping. I'm bad about cutting elbows sometimes myself. Watch for fingers, you don't want to cut finger tips, or even full fingers and half a hand etc. You've got one of the blonde where her hand is obviously on her knee, but you cropped all that out so her arm just completely goes out of frame.

IMO 3 is probably your best image there, the lighting on both sides is enough to see everything, I'd probably move the "recovery" slider a little as you're still losing a little on her arm from the lights on that side of the image.

keep at it, you can't get better if you don't work on it more.

24. Section8

Section8 .

:bowdown: Thanks man, great tips. I didn't even think about some of those issues re: cropping, and the 'alien' arm thing was bothering me in a couple of those shots but i didn't even notice it until i was doing PP. I would think maybe a more experienced model would know better too maybe? but I probably won't have that luxury for a while anyway :rofl:

25. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

Where in VA is this class? That's cheap as hell, I wouldn't mind going to one if it's not too far from me. I'd like to get into model photography.