A&P First shots with the DSLR v.need advice.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by assclown, Jan 3, 2010.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

So it has been a few weeks since I picked up my first DSLR. Here are a few random shots that I got around to editing.

All of these were just taken randomly while walking around or hanging out and were edited using LR/PS. I've only used the camera a few times so far, so I'm still learning my way around it. :hs:

I need to grab my tripod and go out to photograph something more interesting. I attempted to do that with the couple of beach shots, but it was cold/windy and I ended up just taking a couple of random pics and leaving. Plus there was nothing interesting around.

Anyway, am I on the right track so far? How do these pics fair on a scale from decent to god-awful? :hsugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Nikos, saw some of these on the facebook uploads and was commenting there but this is better

#1, is kinda neat but I dont like the purple hue being in the vegitation
    #2. I personally like it, I'd lighten it up just a tad (but it could be this laptops dark screen )
    #3. Nice display of DOF, but its lacking interest to me :o
    #4. Redhead? woo hoo!!! :drool:
    #5.. Wait she's not a redhead, blast the trickery!! (what I mean is, the mismatching colors of the girl, I dont personally care for, others may though :) )
    #6 Focus area is below the face in the zipper area... Should be higher, something else seems... awkward to me abou this one
    #7. as a musician, I love it.
    #8. it's ok, needs different framing to be more interesting, but I get it :)
    #9. maybe its my monitor but it still seems dark :)

Disclaimer:
    Those are my thoughts, that doesn't mean they are right, that doesn't mean they are wrong, others will surely have other opinions as well, I mean no bad fellowship with my review, only to share what I get out of them. Thank you.

:rofl:

3. assclown

assclown Active Member

:bowdown: Thanks for the feedback. I agree with everything except the photos being too dark. Maybe my monitor is too bright though, so I could be wrong on that.

In #1, after uploading, I noticed the purple hue on the vegetation. I don't know how I didn't notice this while editing. Really bothers me now. :hs:

3, 4, and 5 were shot kind of randomly, minutes after getting the 1.8.

6's focus is definitely too low.

8's framing sucks, I agree. I took a bunch of turntable shots and edited that one for some reason. :dunno:

I really appreciate the feedback. :big grin: I have a bunch more pics but they are all lacking an interesting subject as I mentioned in my first post. :hs:

Once I get a larger sdhc card, I'm gonna take the train into the city and attempt to get some interesting shots. :x:

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

it appears you have the same problem i had when i started, which is processing the living shit out of photos

less processing bro

girl is cute

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

• Stop using Pro Photo RGB. Instead, use sRGB especially since you're posting them on the web.

• Reduce the DPI from 240 to 72

• Save in .jpg, not .png

6. Beege

Beege If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be

Pretty nice but I don't do so much editing/ color adjustments to my photos so I am not good to judge that

7. Beege

Beege If I had a dime for every time I was wrong, I'd be

1. your pof is a little distracting, and the color is weird, but its a nice scene
    2.a little too much processing, and dark.
    3. the subject isn't too interesting but I like the actual photo
    4. cute pic, but the way it looks, you cropped something out of the photo to focus on her...you can tell because its less sharp.
    5. Watch your focus, but its a cute shot...and I like where she is located in the photo
    6. focus is off, cute shot though
    7. focus is a little off too. COOL colors though.:bowdown:
    8. very nice shot, a little too processed again
    9. Funny shot. Like it.

Overall, process your photos less, and watch your point of focus. If you are taking in man., try shooting in auto to see where the camera will focus on things and take your time when setting up a shot. Nothing is worse than thinking you got the perfect shot and the focus being off :hs:

Good start :h5: