A&P First shots with my new Canon S3! Critique Me!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Idyfohu, May 28, 2007.

1. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

Ok, don't be too harsh, these are my first shots with my new Canon S3 (I've only ever used a ultra slim Canon SD450).

This was my first time messing with shutter speed, aperture, etc., basically anything other than "Auto Mode." Additionally, none of these photos have any Post Processing since I still don't know what I'm doing. I figured I'd rather figure out the shots first, then do work on them later. :)

Anywho, any and all comments are welcome. Enjoy...

#1 Unintentional silhouette with bird:
    [​IMG]

#2 Yay, my first milky water worked without a ND filter (sorta):
    [​IMG]

#3 Bad image composition:
    [​IMG]

#4 Probably my favorite:
    [​IMG]

#5 My best panning shot:
    [​IMG]

#6 I probably shouldn't take photos of people:
    [​IMG]

#7 Yay for leaves:
    [​IMG]

#8 Lil' Utah:
    [​IMG]

#9 Capitol Building & State Street:
    [​IMG]

#10 My artsty fartsy shot:
    [​IMG]

#11 Cars:
    [​IMG]

#12 Downtown SLC:
    [​IMG]

#13: Cathedral of Madeline (under-exposed):
    [​IMG]

#14: Lasers:
    [​IMG]

#15: Going Home:
    [​IMG]

2. Cassie1225

Cassie1225 New Member

While the pics are good resolution, none of them really grab my attention. But with that being said, the subjects are kinda bland and it's really hard to make something out of them other than snapshots. I find myself making fewer and fewer pictures if I can't "make something" of the shot with good composition.

Look up the "rule of thirds" as well, it will serve you well.

3. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Thats why crop is good ... I think this image has potential

4. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

What's PELF? :wiggle:

Thanks guys for the comments, I new OT wouldn't hold back.

I definitely need to start trying out PP to get my shots better, just learning and getting used to a much nicer camera with manual abilities. :)

5. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I'm hardly much of a photographer yet myself (so ignore me if you want lol), but I've got two bits of advice for you.

1) "I probably shouldn't take photos of people." Why not?! If you see an interesting photo opportunity, take pictures. It might be a bit rude at times, but who cares. If it bothers somebody they'll probably let you know. Most people won't care.

2) "I definitely need to start trying out PP to get my shots better." While I love me some Photoshop, don't let PP'ing turn into a crutch for mediocre pictures. Sure you can make them awesome with PS, but learn to take awesome pictures to begin with. That is, if you're striving to improve your photography abilities. If you're just after the end product and don't care too much about photography, then by all means point your camera at a turd and PP the hell out of it. =)

Anyway, not bad shots. Your horizon is crooked in most of your pics though (some may have been intentional :dunno:). Can easily be fixed with PP'ing, but as I was saying, you'll save yourself time if you can take a pic with a straight horizon to begin with.

6. charel

charel : explorer

:bigthumb: 5, 11, 15