GUN First shotgun (home defense)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nugzalot, Jan 7, 2006.

1. nugzalot

nugzalot OT Supporter

I'm pretty new to guns in general. Went to the range a few weeks ago and shot some pistols with an experienced friend. Started off with a .22 and then shot a 9mm. I was really thinking about picking up a sub compact 9 mm for a first handgun primarily for home defense. But talking to family, they expressed a shotgun would be better.

Searching through it seems the obvious choice would be a Remington 870. What do you guys think about getting a 20 guage as a first shotgun / home defense gun. From reading it seems 18" is the way to go. Any thoughts?

2. johan

johan Active Member

I think for HD, you want it to be effective, and you also probably won't be firing very many rounds.

Therefore...12ga instead of 20? If you were going 20 due to recoil...how much recoil would there be if you're firing a couple of rounds...and hopefully you'll never actually have to fire it in self-defense.

I'd much rather take that once-in-a-lifetime double kick to the shoulder, and be really sure the job is done. That's a good tradeoff to me.

If you're still thinking handgun...then how about a .357 Mag revolver over an auto. Keep it simple.

3. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

IMHO, a shotgun is a great HD choice. It can be loaded with various types of loads (shot, buck) and has more potential lethality than a handgun.

I'd recommend that you look at either a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870. Both are fine weapons and will not fail you.

Regarding 12 ga or 20 ga, I prefer 12 ga because of the vast selection of ammo choices out there versus the 20 ga. If you're recoil sensitive, many companies offered reduced recoil or "tactical loads"

If you go with a pistol I agree with johan about a .38/.357 revolver. I feel that they're easier to use in stessful situations and more reliable (ie. limp wristing failure)

My personal Home defense is as follows:
    Primary: Mossberg 590A1 w/ 20"bbl
    Secondary: Ruger GP100 w/ 3" bbl.

4. nugzalot

nugzalot OT Supporter

I've never fired a 12 gauge, so I guess I was erring on the side of being a pussy and buying a 20 ga for a first one. I guess getting over the gun shyness and using the reduced recoil ammo would be better than spending a few hundred on a 20 and then feeling like I should have gone with a 12. Thanks guys.

On the handgun side, I was looking at a non revolver to double function for carry and home defense, even thought if I got a CCW I probably wouldn't even use it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Get a 12gauge. If you are worried about recoil, use the "Reduced Recoil" rounds. You really shouldn't have to, since you should take this gun to the range often to pratice and train. Then you'd be used to the recoil.

Read this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/shotgunpace.htm

6. why settle for an 18 inch barrel? cut it down as low as you can, fuck the government

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If its just for home defense you can pick up a cheap mossberg 12 gauge at most gunshops with p grip and 18-20" barrel for $200. I was in a store the other day they had mossberg mavericks for $189 18" p grip, if you plan to use it for hunting and shit too then I would spend a bit more, I dont know if you can put different barrels on the maverick or what.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

What is limp wristing failure?

9. Accord

Accord New Member

What's the shortest you're allowed to have?

10. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

An operator caused failuer seen in automatics. It's when you don't lock your wrist solid enough, causing it to bend or "limp" while firing. As a result it causes FTE's because the gun has nothing to cycle against.

11. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

Barrel has to be at least 18" and the overall length must be at least 26"

12. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Maybe it's just me, but a handgun seems like a much better choice for home defense. It's much easier to wield in close quarters, faster to re-fire, does less collateral damage, and can be just as deadly per shot.

13. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Get a $200 tax stamp from the ATF and buy a Serbu shorty.

http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm

14. Accord

Accord New Member

15. Accord

Accord New Member

I was just looking and it seems like the ONLY 870 model that's available in 18" is a special synthetic model... the regular 870 Express is only available in 26" at the shortest :dunno:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/

The 870 Synthetic 18" does look pretty tacticool though, but i'd want to use it for skeet/trap shooting as well and I don't think 18" would be too good for that.

Can you buy 18" barrels to put on your regular 870 Express?

16. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

Only bad thing about it, is it only holds 3 shells I think. But stoll badass :noes:

17. I dont see any restrictions in the 2nd amendment :hsughno:

18. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I have the Maverick 88 Security (18") and it will accept all Mossberg 500 accessories except for foregrips. Stocks, pistol grips, side saddles, mag extensions, even barrels are interchangable with the 500's :cool:

19. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

A shorter-barrel shotgun with pistol grip is just as easy to maneuver in close quarters, you just have to know how to do it. As far as re-fire goes.. take your shotgun to the range & work on speed. However, one shot in the general direction of someone is, most of the time, all you're going to need.

Collateral damage? I'd rather have a couple of tiny holes in the wall that I can put a patch & putty over than a huge ass hole and a potentially dead housemate/child/neighbor.

And deadly? Pistols are tools of exacts. A shotgun allows for a little bit of guesswork. Come anywhere close to center mass, or an extremity with a load of 00 buckshot, and someone's not going to be happy.. they're either going to be severely messed up, dead, or missing a body part.

It doesn't matter how many arguements you bring to the table, a shotgun is the better home defense choice, period.