A&P First shot from my first wedding C&C REQUIRED.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hootpie, Jun 30, 2009.

1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'll make another thread with all of my favorites aka the ones that are going into the album, but for now this is the only picture I've really done anything with. I'll be processing all of the pictures on Saturday, so I'll post up a lot more then.

I'll probably dial down the saturation/vibrance a bit. I used mojito's boost and made some adjustments here and there.

1/1600 - F2.8 - ISO100 - 34mm
    [​IMG]

I played around with it in Photoshop to try and get the focus on them...not sure if I like it...I may put it in the album like this:

[​IMG]

Edit: Do they look off-center to anyone else? It looks like they're more to the right of the picture...whoops :o

Edit #2: To help me learn, please tell me what I did right and what I did wrong :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

The biggest issue is that, they are soft.

3. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

trainwreck.jpg

I hope to god that the other photos are better composed. I'd recommend cropping a lot of that picture out. I'd say go from landscape to portrait, but there isn't enough lower body to make it work right.

4. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i hope that the rest of the photos are better than that one :hsd:

6. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

ok, the shot is not composed well, but hey, everyone has to do their first wedding I spose. But the background can be fixed, the visible undershirt can be fixed. The big problem I am seeing is the the amount people you have managed to get into the frame. A good rule of thumb is that if they are standing in a picture like this, portrait works best for standing, they are more vertical, so the image would look good vertical also. I also dont like how her face is in full sun while his is in full shadow.

Provided this is shot in RAW, I personally would crop this shit right down to their heads and then straighten it. I might provide teh best results but It seems your picutre is a bit on the soft side to do much enlarging or else you will make teh softness to noticable. But mess with it. crop it down and dow some High pass to sharpen the edges. Luckily if you crop to the heads, skins looks good soft and might be able to pull off a "glowy affect" that makes a brides panties wet. good luck

7. johan

johan Active Member

1. people jumbled in the background is mad distracting **main issue
    2. image is soft
    3. selective coloring is not working for me.
    4. central framing feels clumsy, malframed
    5. no lighting control on subjects faces, no fill to model their faces/features
    6. excessive snapshot feel

There's a lovely lake in the background, you could've walked them down to the water and shot against that.

Or drop down to your knee and shoot against the clean blue sky.

Don't want to mess with flashes? Then use a soft reflector to add some fill into their faces. The harsh shadowing is a mess.

DOF...at least you did blur out the back. This image as shot, could be improved if you increased past 2.8 Shoot this at f1.4, with an ND filter.

This one can't be your highlight signature image...put up one that you're really happy with.

8. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Too much space around the picture, I was looking everywhere and everything.

9. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Great replies thus far...keep them coming. That picture isn't my favorite, but is one of the ones I liked.

I'm not sure why the picture came out soft...any guesses? My point of focus was on her eye and I was fairly far away from them, so it should have been sharp :dunno:

I'll do some cropping when I really go at the pictures. I did shoot in RAW knowing that I'd need a lot of wiggle room, so I'll play around with them. I'm sure they'll like the pictures considering the other option was pictures taken with a P&S by the sister of the groom, but I'd like to hold myself to a higher standard (OTAP's) in order to get better.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback :)

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Your focusing point might not lie where your view finder says it lie.

This is a common problem for cameras with less than 100% view finder coverage.

11. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

You'll find out on Saturday :eek3:

I was trying to get everyone in the frame to give it some "depth," but I didn't realize that everyone would be dicking around back there vs. looking at the married couple :rofl:

The part in bold is solid advice...that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I'll try cropping it down then sharpening it...should I sharpen in LR or PS?

1. Fuckers were supposed to be looking at the bride and groom :mad:
    2. I'll sharpen it in post to see if that helps. How do I prevent this from happening again? Shoot at f3.2-f5.6 vs. f2.8?
    3. The more I look at it the more I agree.
    4. It definitely is...he's so much bigger than her that it's hard to eyeball it for me :rofl:
    5. The lighting was awful...the sun was pretty much DIRECTLY overhead the entire time. My onboard flash was making the pictures look worse, so I just said fuck it and will try to bring up the shadows in post.
    6. Really?

I have pictures of them in front of the lake...well pictures of her at least. We were supposed to go down to the beach for more shots, but it ended up getting really late and we missed the sunset :hs:

Dropping to my knees has never helped pictures...I've found that shooting up on people's faces is usually double-chin city :dunno:

I don't know what my best picture is out of them...haven't really looked at them all. I'll post it up when I find it though :)

12. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I learned something very important this weekend. Strive to have the least amount of people needed for a shot. The more people, the greater your chances are that it will get fucked up

13. hootpie

hootpie New Member

So true...in the portraits I took 4 shots of each group to make sure I got one good one (everyone looking at the camera, smiling, not blinking) and of course there were always 3 bad ones :rofl: