MIL first shirts make the air force go 'round...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, Feb 27, 2008.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

so i get pulled over yesterday (on base) for driving while talking on my cell phone (using a "hands-free" bluetooth headset). SF guy is really nice/professional about it, says most people don't know, but that the bluetooth headsets are considered "earphones" which are against regs. now, the no-cell-phones-while-driving policy is a somewhat new one at my base, but had a hands-free device exception. i didn't argue (it's not the A1C's fault) and didn't get ticketed and went on my way.

so i brief this up today at morning brief so the rest of my squadron gets the word, and our first shirt comes up afterwards and says "sir, that's bullshit. i'm gonna call the SFS right now and get this straightened out". i said "really sgt, it's no big deal, i'm not mad or anything, i just didn't want anyone else to get in trouble for it."

bottom line is that within an hour an email circulates that "yes, you can wear bluetooth headsets while driving, and the SFS flight CC's will be briefing their flights not to pull people over for it."

i guarantee that if i had tried to bring this up as an issue myself by calling the SFS or stopping by their offices, i would have been given the polite equivalent of "fuck off, sir". not complaining though, at least now i can talk on my phone on base.

cliff's: first shirts run the USAF

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Fuckin werd. That job is definitely one I wouldn't want, but they have the utmost of my respect.

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

My shirt made sure I'm not in the next ALS class so I could take leave. Shirts FTW.

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

Did i read it wrong or did you brief to your people not to wear their headsets.

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

no they can, the MP was a fucking dumbass, hands free devices only on bases... last I checked headsets didn't require the use of hands.

6. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

You can't wear them outside of your car... But you can wear them in the comfort of your vehicle... He just didn't understand that last part. A1C mistake. ;)

7. SweetDaddyO

i just told them i got pulled over for it and that the SF guy said it wasn't allowed. an hour or two later the shirt sent the email after he talked to the SFS people about it - apparently the cop was wrong and we are allowed to wear them.

8. SweetDaddyO

i think his line of reasoning was that the earpiece constituted an "earphone" - i.e., like ipod headphones (which you aren't allowed to wear while driving, obviously).

i understood where he was coming from, i think he just mis-interpreted the reg

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

nice work by the first shirt

10. insomnia

insomnia New Member

the only two times i've needed a shirt they've been 100% completely fucking useless

on the other hand i've seen the one at this base help a few coworkers out when they really needed it.

11. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

it seems to me that my 1st sgt exists to inform me that the fact that its taken the military health care system almost 2 years to do nothing to fix me is my fault.

12. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Duh.

13. fooj

fooj OT Supporter

what the hell is a first shirt

14. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Not entirely correct.

In the AF, which the thread starter is clearly in (note the use of SF, SFS, A1C, and his location of Rapid City, SD), a First Sergeant (aka First Shirt, or simply Shirt) is a position held by a Senior NCO. Typically you will only see Senior Master Sergeants (SMSgt) and Master Sergeants (MSgt) as 1st Sgt. Additionally, Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) is the "Top Bunk" enlisted...well, technically, there is a position held only by a CMSgt that is "Top Top Bunk" called Command Chief Master Sergeant (CCMSgt), and there is only one per base.

To clear it up even further:
    Think of the 1Sgt as the Older Brother of your Squadron. He's not the leader, but he often acts in the benefit of his people.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  15. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

Ok, I would agree with what you are saying... with one exception: I *could* skip the 1Sgt and go to the CCMSgt if I needed to.

16. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

I once stood in as acting CCMSgt as an E-2. Break the Base!

17. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member

/me sucks air through teeth

Actually I have done this in the past. And I did not get any paperwork.

I suppose it's different at every base.

EDIT: I was having problems with my Squadron leadership, to include the 1Sgt, which is why I did that.

18. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

i came in here to tell you to buy a car with bluetoof. But you were in the right. We have that rule here at Ft Sill too. I think its pretty gay but w/e. Cant walk and talk on cell phones anywhere or use one in your car(bluetooth exception)

19. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

My SF buddy pulled someone over a few days ago for talking on his cell phone. Come to find out the guy had a suspended license, no insurance, had a loaded handgun and shotgun in the car (console and backseat). Come to find out the guy is just a student on base, he's not military. They gave him his weapons back, got rid of his drivers license, and banned him from base for just 1 year after all of that crap.

He's still allowed to go on base strictly for school, if he's caught doing anything other than that he will be banned for good. Can you imagine if this was a military member who got caught with all this stuff?

20. SweetDaddyO

thanks, general

21. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Holy crap! :eek3:

If he were military, he'd be losing rank and pay just for starters.

22. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

I dont like my shirt :hs:

She's "standing in", and doesn't have a diamond.