GUN First Rifle.....around $400 to spend

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Daiz4yota, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

I have been looking at purchasing my first rifle for almost 6 months now, and still cant make up my mind. I only have around 400$ to spend. Due to this small budget, I have mostly been looking at AK's. I have looked at the WASR10 5.45x39, the WASR 7.62x39, and the slighty more expensive Yugoslavian M70AB2 underfolder 7.62x39 ($430). Are their any other similar priced semi-auto rifles that have interchangable stocks? I am aware of the fact that an AK is not the most accurate of rifles, and I will mostly be using the rifle for prinking at a 100yard outdoor range. I also dont need a rifle that is indestructable, as it will be kept indoors and cleaned as needed. I have experience with handguns and various semi-auto and auto rifles, but have simply never owned one, so im not a TOTAL gun noob.:hsd: Also, are their any other sites where I can purchase rifles besides aimsurplus?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifle.html
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

I am leaning towards this one currently. It seems to have a higher quality reciever (1.5mm), and I would imagine it would be slighty more accurate than a romanian.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_AK_M70AB2_7.62x39_Under-Folder_Rifle.html

Not sure what the deal is with this rifle. Is it just an AK mockup or something? Would it be any more accurate?
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_STG-2000C_7.62x39_Rifle.html

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd go with the WASR2 being the cheapest one and one with the cheapest ammo. The WASR's may have issues with trigger slap or canted sights which can be both be fixed. The yugo underfolders have a few issues too, someone on another board im on had an AD cause the selector goes up past safe and tripped the hammer. The last one is just a WASR with different furniture and front sight on it. If you can scrounge up a little more money and want an underfolder I'd look for a polish one.

3. Daiz4yota

The problem is there are no official guns shops any where near my location. Are their any other websites where I could possibly find one? I guess if there arent, I will just have to drive to another state to find one:noes:

4. Daiz4yota

Oh and how hard would it be to change the wood furniture on the WASR 2. I would also like to put an all black side folder stock on it as well. Can I get all black furniture on this rifle fairly easily?

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Are you pretty set on some ak variant then?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Depending on what you had in mind, you mind find a nice SKS for $150-200 and be able to save your money for another rifle/more ammo. If its just for range fun a sks and a .22 rifle would allow you spend alot more time on the range on a budget.

8. Daiz4yota

No, not at all. I was merely choosing the AK for its price range. If you can point me to something better for the price, it would be greatly appreciated

9. Daiz4yota

I would like to be able to use a high capacity magazine though, and definitely not a single loader..

10. Daiz4yota

11. Daiz4yota

Im also assuming these SKS's are much more accurate than an AK?

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you get a nice one yeah it'll be more accurate, I've seen some beat up yugo's ones that were total shit for accuracy though so make sure its in decent shape or try for a chicom or ruskie one. Also those conversions, reliability takes a big hit if you convert them for ak mags and the high cap sks mags are shit, the chicom's made one that took AK mag's from the factory those are good.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you're on a budget, I wouldn't spend my money gaying up a sks ;) Seriously though if you don't like the sks for what it is, you're better to buy an ak than try to turn it into an ak.

The sks is no match gun, you'll have no problems hitting though. Expect 2-5" groups at 100 yards depending on how good a sample you get, how good your ammo is, and how good you are.

14. Daiz4yota

and what type of grouping can I expect with the yugo at 100yards? :noes:

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Expect 2-5" groups at 100 yards depending on how good a sample you get, how good your ammo is, and how good you are.

:big grin:

16. Daiz4yota

also how hard would it be to convert the WASR 2 furniture to a more tactical look, similar to the yugo. I would rather get a 5.45x39, as the ammo is cheaper.

17. Daiz4yota

:x: thats not bad at all......considering I dont own any rifles as of now and have no real frame of reference to judge by:mamoru:

18. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Why not get a Remington 700? :hsugh:

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you want black furntiure you can pick up a polymer set of handguards for $25+, theres a few different folders out there that will fit on them ranging from $50-140ish. Only 2 ways to put an underfolder on the WASR's the proper way is to replace the rear trunion which could be quite difficult for someone not familiar with AK's, the other way is they make a block that attaches to the fixed stock rear trunion you can put an underfolder on, I dont think you can open or close those with a magazine in the gun though.

20. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I dont think you can go wrong with the SKS or WASR/WASR2. Out of those mentioned and your initial criteria, I'd say get the WASR2. After a bit of work, you'll have a hell of a rifle.

You could always save a bit more and try to find a CETME...and cross your fingers that it's worth a damn. Always wanted to do that. :big grin:

something like this:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70093696

21. Daiz4yota

Yea I guess ill go with the WASR2 for 300 bucks, and spend the other 100 on modifying the furniture/ammo. I dont absolutely have to have an underfolding stock. I would be happy with a tactical side folder. Those are simple to install correct? Also, I just got an email reply from the president of the closest rifle range in my town. "We do not deal in communist weapons. You would not be welcomed here. Try the public outdoor range 25 miles north" [​IMG]

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Theres many sidefolding choices, ACE being the best but you'd be looking at $100+ just for the stock, Tapco has a few folders for cheap, not really sure how good they are it is tapco after all :hs: You can get a real mil sidefolder for about $60 romanian, e german, or polish.

:rofl: @ range reply, fuckem probably a bunch of fudd's

23. Daiz4yota

So I guess I can just add that 60$ stock first, and change the gas tube /forearm hand cover over time. Will the wasr2 field strip the same as a 7.62? Also, what are you supposed to do if you have a round chambered after taking the clip out, when you are not in a situation that permits the shooting of the round? Its a no no to pull the round out isnt it?

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7.62/5.45/5.56 ak's all operate and strip the same way. You can pull the charging handle back to eject the round safley, its not a good idea to repeatedly do it with the same round though.

25. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: