GUN First purchase opinion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dissonance, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

First hangun purchase

So I have some extra cash and was deciding between upgrading my HTPC or buying a firearm. I think I am going with the firearm and was wanting some opinions.

I want one to take to the shooting range and for home defense. My girlfriend and I enjoy going and renting guns to shoot but I think it would be nice to have one of my own. I also would like to keep it at our apartment. We don't have much of a safety issue at our apartment complex but my girlfriend did have a stalker for a little bit and I know it would make her feel more comfortable when I'm at night class (stalker is a whole other story, it was her boss's schitzo son).

I was talking to my Navy friend about it and he highly suggests a 40 caliber pistol. I was either a 40cal or a 9mm but haven't decided. I was thinking either a Sig or a Glock (leaning toward the Glock 23). I don't plan on carrying it but that may change. I also don't want to spend too much but am flexible. OT's thoughts?

EDIT: Thread title change

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

cant go wrong with glock. shop around instead of being cheap about it and be sure you dedicate some time to the range so that you're proficient. if any ranges in your area offers some sort of defensive pistol training where you're moving and shooting rather then standing in a box, id suggest you try it out after you're comfortable and trust your gun.

if all else fails, get a dog.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Go to a range and rent a fuckton of pistols. Other than that, pick what is most comfortable to shoot, regardless of caliber (9mm, .40, .45, it really doesn't matter)

4. The 9mm or .40 thing is really a matter of personal preference. Whichever one you can shoot best is the one you should go with. As to the type of pistol, you can't go wrong with a Glock.

5. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

oh yea, id have to agree that caliber doesnt matter, matters more how you perform with it.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I would suggest a shotgun or rifle over a handgun. The handgun's only real advantage is concealability. If you're not going to carry it you might as well have a long gun.

7. dissonance

I used to work with a guy who got a concealed carry permit here and after the class the instructor highly recommended an additional training course. The guy I know (and his wife) did it and raved about how good it was. I know they went through ALOT of ammo in it but thats kind of necessary. BTW, the guy I'm referring to has quite a few firearms himself from when he had an FFL (he's also a bit older than I am). As for the dog, I have one but where we live now they are dicks and won't let us keep him in the apartment. He weights 19.5lbs and their weight limit is 20lbs..... but I can have a gun!

I suppose I need to try out other ranges. The one I've been going to for the past year doesn't keep too much of a variety as far as rentals. I agree with the caliber statement, but oddly a guy I know who works for an armored vehicle company can't carry a 9mm, must be larger.

Understandable but I'd also like to take it to the range and prefer shooting handguns there over rifles. Whatever I get I know I'll be spending a decent amount of money at the range so I won't be able to afford 2 guns now (maybe after I graduate).

8. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I'd start with 9mm and then try the .40 to see which one you like better.

I'm a big fan of an XD as a 1st weapon. :o

9. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

xd.. the i wish i had a glock gun. .lol

10. dissonance

That's my understanding, is it true... XD is kind of the walmart version of a Glock?

11. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

glock guys tend to give XD guys a hard time. both fine firearms..

what i've noticed along with my collegues, glock shooters will shoot other guns, but will always go back to glock. while XD shooters have drank the kool-aid and will not shoot anything else, their XD is THE gun. id take a XD over being unarmed.

not a kel-tec though. thats a 'throw down gun', throw it down to distract the badguy. lol chances are it wont work if he gets a hold of it.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

You seem knowledgeable compared to some that come in here asking this same question. Sig and Glock are great choices, I don't think you could go wrong with either personally. I would recommend a 9mm, solely because the price of ammo being lower means more rounds to practice with. Your local Wal Mart or Academy (depending on where you live) will have the best deal on 9mm.

13. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

G23 is a good choice and you can always pick up a 9mm conversion barrel for cheaper shooting or if you end up not liking the .40.

14. dissonance

Are you saying that Glocks have more of a jamming problem than XD's?

I haven't even thought about that...... another point for the G23.

15. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

no im not, i carry and shoot a glock. lol. im saying if all i had was an XD id use it, but its not something i prefer or would recommend.

16. dissonance

Thanks, I try to do some research myself before asking questions. Does ammo brand make much of a difference, in other words, does wallyworld carry decent/good ammo?

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

It can very much so depending on application.

For range plinking, you aren't really asking a lot of the ammo. I usually shoot whatever I can get cheapest for 9mm range stuff, which usually works out to be buying WWB from my local Wal-Mart.

If I cared about terminal ballistics (which you will with your SD ammo), then I would get something else. No shortage of opinions in that regard, so as a general rule, buy some premium modern day JHP (or get with the times and run copper solids a la Corbon DPX ;) ).

18. bursty

bursty New Member

Sig > Glock >>>>> XD

19. dissonance

Well, thanks for the quick responses and thoughts. I guess I just need to go play around at my local shop/range some more and will hopefully be part of the firearms crew soon.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you decide to go 9mm the P99 is worth checking out too. Its Available in .40 but its rather snappy in .40, probably too snappy for the gf to enjoy shooting it.

21. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I had a Glock as my first gun and then 2 XD's. I currently own a Walther and a S&W and will not be buying another Glock. Maybe another XD or 2 :cool:

22. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

well you're from georgia, i heard theres something in the water out there. lol j/k

my next purchase is already paid for, just wanting for STI to get the ok to start shipping. (STI GP6)

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

You guys hatin' on the XD are funny. My wife shot a bunch of pistols before deciding on the XD because it fit her hand the best. She tried several Glocks, though, because she *really* wanted to like the Glock... but in the end the XD was her favorite; and if you like your weapon you're going to shoot it more. :)

24. bursty

bursty New Member

:werd: I love my P99. Fits my hand perfectly. :bowdown:

25. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

P99 crew :bigthumb: