A&P First post on OT - related to my new D40.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Scythe, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Scythe

Scythe Guest

Hey ya'll,

I just bought my first DSLR, a D40, and I'm having trouble. My old P&S took some nice shots when I messed with manual settings under the right conditions, so I thought I had the right skills to handle this. Turns out that I am taking pictures which look like P&S's, nothing with the quality I see from people on this thread.

And, I am speaking about pre-editing shots, they look too "normal".

Any tips?

2. Bukka

Bukka Active Member

Point and shoots tend to have their saturation, contrast, sharpness all boosted up, whereas your D40 is made to be more neutral.
    If shooting Jpeg you can play with the image settings (i think you can do this on the D40) to boost your saturation, contrast...etc to your liking.

Or you can shoot RAW, and get a program like Lightroom, and do it all on the computer.

3. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Take it out of the Auto mode.

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what bukka said. i too expected amazing colorful and brilliant pictures from my dslr at first. yeah i was way wrong.

i dont know much about the d40, but i shoot my d90 in mostly standard or neutral profile. colors and sharpness are medicore. i use lightroom to boost them.

5. wrong1

wrong1 Member

go into the picture control setting, use color mode IIIa and bump the sharpness up a bit. I got a d40 a few months ago when they were on closeout at target. It can take really nice pics... But if you aren't nailing your exposures it can look like a low end point and shoot.

6. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

sample pics?