First Post - New Truck... Some questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by prod, Nov 18, 2001.

1. prod

prod Guest

I just bought a new 2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Extracab from a dealer for $18,000. It had 38,000 miles on it, I know, I know... I could've got a better deal if I had looked through trucktrader or something, but the cash was burning a big hole in my pocket and I wanted this truck very badly and as soon as possible.

So, I'm only 18 years old and I don't know much about Toyota trucks, or trucks in general for that matter. I do know that I want to lift my truck maybe 3-4" inches to allow wheel-well space for some 32-33" Super Swampers or BFG's. Also I was thinking of getting the side-step bars and maybe a TRD Supercharger. However I was informed that the supercharger would void my warranty, which I paid an extra $1,400 for... so if that is true then I don't see the supercharger coming in the near future. I'm also planning on getting a sprayed on Rhino-lining bedliner, does anyone know if these are worth the money?

I guess all I'm asking for is some ideas, maybe some after-market places that do good jobs. Also if any of you have any stories about things you've done that just didn't work out right or things you've done that you're extremely proud of, please let me know.

Here is a picture of my truck:

[​IMG]

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

cool truck

rinho is not worht the money imo all of them ive seen peel off eventualy

you can find a body or a suspesion lift for your truck easily id do both 4 inch suspension and 2-3 body loo in off road or fourwheeler mag for supliers

i personaly woulndt get teh super charger just beaces im not gona race it and its just mreo stuff to break

3. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Line-X > Rhino Linings if you have a Line-X dealer in your area. I know a guy who has areas of the inside of his dump body Line-X'd, and it's a Tri-Axle dump truck.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice truck. Same color as mine. I don't have the fender flares or 4wd though. The TRD supercharger won't void your warranty. Whoever told you that is smoking some good shit. All TRD parts are under manufacturers warranty, even if you install the parts yourself. You aren't going to need at least 5 inches of lift to fit 33's. Camburg makes a kickass long travel kit. Gives you about 4.5" of lift and 13-14" of wheel travel. Only thing is, since your truck is 4wd, you will need to get longer axles as well if you want to keep your 4wd. Check out www.ttora.com . There is all the info in the world you need on tacomas. I see you are from Alta Loma as well. They have a group around here that goes on wheelin trips alot. There should be a link to the club on the site I put up. Need any more info, let me know. I work for a Toyota dealership, so I get hookups on parts.

5. prod

prod Guest

Thanks!

I appreciate everyones help.

Dirt Pilot, Thanks for the info! I wasn't planning on lifting my truck 5 inches, only 3 or 4, I heard that if you go too high that the spindles? or something connected to the wheels will bend and it will mess up something with the longevity of the truck. Like I said I don't know much about vehicles at all, but I appreciate everyones help.

I go to get my license (long story) tomorrow in San Bernadino, wish me luck!

If everything goes well with tomorrow, I'll be a happy camper on my way to Glamis on Wednesday or Thursday! I can't wait, it's going to be a week full of offroading and testing what this baby can do in the sand!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, the only 5" suspension lifts I've seen are drop down brackets. There is a spacer between the upper a arm that bolts onto the spindle. I really don't like the way it looks at all. Not made for driving offroad at all. I'm taking some welding classes next semester in school. I'm planning on doing all my work on my truck by myself. Sometime in February, I'm getting my TRD superchager. Then I'm gonna make my own arms, bed cage, etc. You should have a good time out in Glamis. Don't play too hard though, or you'll be walking home.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i didnt mean he needed 5 inches of lift to to fit that big of tirs but a 4 inch suspention lift dpending on what kind only igves 2 thats why i recomended the body lift

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The Toyota also has IFS correct? Its gonna cost a little more for that. Also unless you have a buddy who's done one before or unless you're mechanically inclined/gifted I would recommend having a shop put on the lift. IFS can be a pain in the butt to put in. I envy you on your truck, I used to have a 93 4x4 and wanted to do what you are but had no cash. Want to do it to my F150 now but still no cash.

9. joedogg

joedogg Guest

i have the same truck but mine is 97 ...

I installed flowmaster custom exhaust
    and a K & N fipk .... great improvement

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, the tacomas are very easy to lift. The 4wds do have IFS, but the prerunner and 4wd have the same suspension. The coils and springs are like a strut, in that the spring is compressed onto the shock, before you mount it on the arms. There are about 3 or 4 companies right now that make adjustable coilovers. If you have 4wd you can only go 2", 2wd can go up to 3.5". It is simple to install them. 3 bolts at the top, and one at the bottom to take the old spring and shock out, then put the new coilovers in, bolt em down, and twist the collar to adjust how high you want to lift them. The good thing about these alot of the ones out, is that you can rebuild them over and over, so basically you don't ever have to buy new shocks again

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually, the tacomas are very easy to lift. The 4wds do have IFS, but the prerunner and 4wd have the same suspension. Like I said also, you don't have to keep the 4wd, but if you want to (and I would cause you are paying extra money for it), its another $1k for extended axles. The coils and springs are like a strut, in that the spring is compressed onto the shock, before you mount it on the arms. There are about 3 or 4 companies right now that make adjustable coilovers. If you have 4wd you can only go 2", 2wd can go up to 3.5". It is simple to install them. 3 bolts at the top, and one at the bottom to take the old spring and shock out, then put the new coilovers in, bolt em down, and twist the collar to adjust how high you want to lift them. The good thing about these alot of these, is that you can rebuild them over and over with most of the brands, so basically you don't ever have to buy new shocks again. And to the guy with the K&N, make sure you don't oil that filter too much. I've had a quite a few trucks that have came in with them that have problems. They put too much oil in the filter, and it clogs up the throttle body. Also there is a guy that actually had his truck dynoed with a K&N intake, one run with a removed elbow from the stock airbox, and one run with the removed elbow as well as a hole cut in the front of the airbox. The K&N actually lost power believe it or not. The one that made the most power was just removing the elbow from the side of the airbox. I guess the K&Ns just don't work for Toyotas.

12. Mikel

Mikel .

The Supercharger won't void your warranty, it's made by toyota. I like the supercharger on the trucks, they run really strong and make passing and mud bogging a non issue, also takes care of the need to re gear for big tires unless you plan on rock crawling. Downey makes an excellent Taco lift kit.

13. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Won't void the warrantly as long as you let the dealer install it which will cost a hell of a lot of money.

What kind of tires are you looking at? BFG's and Interco's are very different tires. Unless of course you mean something like the SSR which is milder.

14. prod

prod Guest

Glamis, Holy God....!

Well, I'm back from my 5 day vacation in Glamis, CA. Holy Lord my truck kicked ASS! I went up Competition Hill and Oldsmobile Hill with NO PROBLEM. My 4x4 really kicked in and the V6 helped spin those tires and I flew up the dune! My truck took me everywhere I needed to go with absolutely no problems, even with a bedload of wood or my friends YZ250 dirtbike strapped in. I even went out and about and pulled out some other Tacos and even a jeep or two!

I can't believe it performed so well and consistently with only the stock options I have. I was absolutely flabberghasted. The only thing I could've done without is bottoming out on the whoops... but unless I had it lifted there was no way to get around that.

I have an idea of what type of lift I am going to get. I was thinking a Trailmaster 6' with maybe some 8 wide 35' or some 33's. I'm not sure exactly yet, I'd have to see what each setup would look like because I don't want the tires to stick out too far from the body because I really don't like the way that looks. I'm also going to get the Weld Scorpio wheels, along with the supercharger, a new air filter *what's good?* and my exhaust system... *maybe a 3 chamber flowmaster*.

I have a couple more questions.. how many of you have Tacoma's lifted and if so, what lift and setups do you have? I want to know what is the most reliable and performs the best. I mostly only go trailriding *soon with TTORA-SOCAL* and I go to Glamis about 3-4 times a year. So mostly I want something that will look nice on the road, not kill my street performance yet still perform in the sand when I need it to. Also if anyone knows of a good website to look at pictures of different lift kits and tires on Tacomas I'd appreciate the URL.

Once again, I really appreciate everyones help with my truck... I'd be lost without you all. :)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

You are gonna need a big ass lift if you want to fit 35s. I talked to the guys at King Shocks at the Offroad Expo and they shoul be coming out with coilovers for the tacomas any time soon. If I were you, I would wait till those come out. King shocks are hands down THE BEST offroad shock you can buy. Anyone who tells you different is smoking some good shit. www.camburg.com Thats the website for the guys that make the long travel arms. They use Sway A Way shocks, which are King's old design, but for a little more money, they can modify them for the new Kings as well. Baja Shop These guys don't have any pictures, but they supposedly just finished a J-arm setup for tacomas that is cycling around 18" of travel. As for air filters, like I said before with the K&N, be careful with oiling it if you buy it. If you read on that tacoma board, a lot of the guys there really like the amsoil filters. That seems to be the brand of choice. They are a lot cheaper than a K&N too.

16. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Re: Glamis, Holy God....!

Damn dude, 6 feet of lift with 35 foot tires!!!
    I am glad you had fun, as for pulling other people out, driver skill comes into play. They were probably not aired down enough or were driving incorrectly for sand.

17. prod

prod Guest

Typo's suck. :p

18. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

DEFINATLEY A NO NO :nono: :greddy:

19. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

There is just something wrong about that.

20. prod

prod Guest

Definitely not the way to go with a 4x4. Actually, with a truck in general, I really despise all lowered trucks. It's not what the vehicle was made for.