SRS First post here, give a nigga some advise

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Dec 14, 2007.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Story:

My wife and I have been going to this gym since January. I started seeing a personal trainer there in March and she started around June with a different one but they worked for the same company (her trainer is one of the owners). Well, as of a few weeks ago the gym owner, for some reason, out of the blue decided that he wanted the trainers to start paying him 1200/mo. They refused to do so since that's a large chunk of change so the two owners (husband and wife, the wife is my wifes trainer) left the gym. My trainer, who worked for them, decided instead of going with them to another gym to stay at the gym we're currently at.

This leaves me in an awful predicament because my wife now has to go an extra 20 minutes to another gym that we're not members of (its the same chain so she can go there for a limited time but will eventually have to switch memberships) while I continue at this gym. This shouldn't be that big of a deal but my wife is taking this really hard because realistically we're the only ones that are truly being impacted by this split between the trainers and the gym owner since we each were being trained by them and now are split up.

Shortly after this happened my wife went into the gym to make some changes to our membership (we had her brother on and he hadn't been going plus we had to take off aerobics classes that the trainers were putting on since they weren't there anymore) and she got into a pretty heated discussion with the gym owners wife about how they handled the sudden and unannounced monetary requirements that caused the trainers to leave. Well, come to find out the gym owner made a comment about how my wife should have had more respect because of "all that he's done for [our] family." When she heard this, my wife got really really upset. Upset to the point that since she heard this we have been fighting pretty much constantly because she thinks I should confront the gym owner about what he said since he hasn't done shit for us. I agree with her that he hasn't done shit for us but I don't know what confronting him about what he said and also about the trainer situation (and how it affects us) will solve any issues sine the trainers are already gone and obviously there will be no reconciliation.

It also, honestly, bothers me that he said something about "doing something for [our] family" since, not only has he not really done anything but I did something for him. They took before and after pictures of me and put them in an ad for the gym. In my eyes, that's me doing something for them since I've really gotten nothing in return.

My problem is that, as stated, since this happened my wife and I have been in pretty much constant turmoil. She keeps bitching about how I didn't "defend" her and how I need to go to the owner and confront him and tell him how much his decision affected us but there is a problem in that. It will change nothing. Nothing will happen because of it except I will possibly ruin my gym experience there. They're not going to magically, after I speak up, decide that they should change their minds and let the trainers back. That's just not going to happen.

I'm at the point now where my only option is to continue the way I am now and have this tear my marriage apart or cancel my membership with my trainer and my gym and go to the gym that her trainers are at and train with her trainers husband. I don't want to do that. I love my trainer. I've been with him for 8 months and he's helped me get to my lowest weight in as long as I can remember and I have a long way to go.

What the fuck?!

ETA: My wife is clinically depressed, on depression medication and sees a counselor regularly. She's taking this to heart, in my opinion, entirely too much but I feel like I have an obligation to do whatever it is in my power to keep things civil between us, even if it means making my own personal sacrifices. I feel like, though, there will probably be a good bit of resentment towards her especially if my diet tanks since I still have another 60 pounds.

I'm fucked no matter what I do at this point. :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. BMH

BMH New Member

what exactly were u guys working on at the gym?maybe you could do it at home?

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

There's no way I would have lost the weight I've lost without a trainer. Period.

Plus, no gym for home.

4. BMH

BMH New Member

i've seen some small gyms llike curves,compared to fitness 24.
    is there more nearby?and pay alot of attention to your wife now.(depressed)

5. dano

dano OT Supporter

If she's seeing a psychiatrist, then call up the psychiatrist and say you would like to come in for an appointment along with your wife because it's become this much of an issue.

6. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I feel like such a hippie after reading that.. chill out man... relax...

peace love save the trees yadda yadda

7. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Even if there is no outcome you probably should have said something too the owner. She doesn't go there anymore so her business won't affect him, but yours will. Whats the big deal about letting your opinion out? You mentioned the helping your family thing out a few times so obviously that one really does bug you. Like I said before, even without the trainers coming back, your opinion does count, the place isn't the same anymore, and you can always switch gyms, he must know this. You can also persuade the decision of his potential clients, you do have more power than you believe.