First post-college job interview - what the hell do I wear?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Grizzly Mint, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Grizzly Mint

Grizzly Mint New Member

I have my first real job interview this Wednesday. The company is a local start up company that installs and services marine computer systems. I have pretty much nothing that I feel is apropriate to wear to a job interview - most of my nicer clothes dont fit anymore because I lost a shit-ton of weight over the last year. Any suggestions? is a nice button down shirt okay? I have a lot of nice denim but i'm not sure if that's appropriate. Also i`m looking for suggestions for footwear. Thanks guise:sadwavey:

2. ihaveanevilplan

ihaveanevilplan Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down Moderator

at the MINIMUM, button up shirt with tie, some slacks, & leather shoes

it might suck to have to go buy all these things at once if you dont have any, but this is just your first interview. chances are you'll have others after this one too so it's not like you're buying them just for this one occation

3. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

wtf go buy a damn suit.

4. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

You can't go wrong with a business suit and tie. Even if the place is casual, it won't hurt you.

5. hurleywurley

hurleywurley OT Supporter

6. Grizzly Mint

Grizzly Mint New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

7. LaFinduMonde

LaFinduMonde New Member

and a jean-jacket

8. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

you don't HAVE to buy a tailored suit, I got my current job interviewing w/ a $50 blazer, slacks, button up and tie. And I was able to nail down a very good job. Don't feel like you have to spend $1k+ on a suit, though if you have the scratch it's a worthwhile investment.

9. outlaws

outlaws C.R.E.A.M.

I got it at Ross......

10. Suazo

Suazo New Member

you dont have to wear a suit...

but Do NOT wear your denim to the interview...

11. Zuerst

Zuerst OT Supporter

hoody and jorts... show 'em you're unique and special

12. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

i wouldnt put too much emphasis on it. just make sure the suit you wear is neat and fit you correctly. youre going to an interview to get a job, not to impress some 50 year old dude with your thick as theives custom suit :ugh2: he'd probably think youre gay anyways.

unless youre going to work in fashion or some creative type company

13. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

14. everlong

everlong nice crew

I would check out the dresscode. If it's common to wear a suit at work I would choose a suit. If there isn't I think you will be allright with a pair of nice pants/trousers, a nice shirt and some classic leather shoes.

15. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

canadian tuxedo

16. themadpaki

themadpaki There is no money. OT Supporter

black t-shirt, jeans with holes in them, gangster-bling chain, air force ones. and swear a lot.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Wear a suit. What's the worst case? No one else interviewed wears a suit and you look like you care more than the other applicants?

18. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

you can get a decent suit, shirt, tie, socks, and belt from Express for ~$200-$250. They constantly have 10-15% coupons, just print one out and take it with you.

19. Bagsic

Bagsic New Member

i'd highly suggest you get A suit...doesn't have to be designer, but just a simple black suit. go to macy's, they have some michael kor's and other decent brands of suits for $180 last time i checked. it's an investment, but a worthwhile one for future interviews and occasions.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Navy or charcoal, black is evening wear or work attire for poorly dressed men. ;)

21. Sharpie

Sharpie New Member

Word. Most people say you need to wear a suit, but when I wore them to engineering interviews, I felt way overdressed. No one at the jobs I've worked/interviewed in my field even wears ties. You want to look like you'd fit in with the company.

So do a little research and let that guide you. When in doubt, err on the dressy side. Good luck.

22. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

:werd:

But you don't even need something like Macy's -- around here we have excellent discount menswear shops such as Mens Wearhouse and J.S. Edwards. If such stores are unavailable locally, you can probably mail order but would need to find a local affordable tailor.

Assuming you're trying to keep costs down, I suggest a nice simple charcoal colored suit, that is wearable with any shirt/tie combo.

About the shirts and ties, I'd say get a more edgy stylish set for when you want to go on interviews to less formal places and a conservative set to wear if you're going to be interviewing at a more staid workplace.

If you get called back for a second interview, you might be in a dilemma as to what to wear. You probably wouldn't want to wear the same thing.... if you get the feeling the other shirt and tie combo you already bought would be appropriate, go ahead and use that. Otherwise you may need to shell out some more cash for another tie/shirt combo different, but in the same basic style theory as the original.

Oh and if you're tall, like 6 feet or more (especially if you have a gut), get a long size tie. You should be able to tie a full Windsor knot with enough length for the front of the tie to reach down to your belt buckle and the tail end able to slip into the pocket behind to secure it. Many of the designers are woefully short for tall or otherwise large men.

Oh, and also always get your shoes shined before the interview!

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  23. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'm only a freshman in college but I had a job this past spring/summer with Warrior Sports, huge lacrosse and hockey company.

Everyone wears a t-shirt and jeans to work, super casual atmosphere. I came to my interview wearing slacks, dress shoes, a tie and sport coat, and they all joked about how I was dressed up, but then said that even though the atmosphere is casual they don't even consider people that come in for interviews wearing anything less than what I was wearing.

basically, even if it is a casual workplace, interview well dressed.