GUN First Pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DAoC-Gromlok, Jan 27, 2004.

1. DAoC-Gromlok

DAoC-Gromlok Guest

Hey guys, i have a question for ya. I am looking to buy a new handgun, and after reading around and talking to some people i think i settled on an hk usp compact .45. Anyone have this gun, or have any comments good or bad? I will primarily use it for range shooting, but i want something that i can carry too if i need to. What do u guys think?

-Lars

2. fastlif

fastlif New Member

I have a Hk usp 45 compact stainless. I love the gun, it takes a little getting used to if you are used to other brand guns, for example the magazine release is different and the safety/decocker takes some gettin gused to. Nothing big, just different. Sometimes when trying to take off safety you can acccidently decock. And the DA trigger is a bit heavy. All of these things are only noticeable if you are used to other brand guns. Other than that it is an excellent gun. If you plan on carrying in a holster I recommend stainless as a holster wears the finish some. If you just carry in a car (underseat etc) mostly I wouldnt worry about it. I consider it, my sig 229's and my 1911's my favorites out of over 20 handguns I own.

3. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Thats a good gun, but why the .45? Just curious. The .45 is a good round but with the right ammo choices, 9mm and .40 are just as good for defense. And defiantly better plinking rounds, on your wallet anyway. Not to mention the USPc .45 only has a 8 round mag (i think.) While the 9mm and .40 have 10 round and when the ban is lifted you'll have 13 for 9mm and 12 for .40.

I just recommend the 9mm if you are a new shooter (just assuming because its your first gun) and if you have to have a bigger round the .40.

I want a two-tone USPc in 9mm :drool:

[​IMG]

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

.40 is much more uncomfortable to shoot than .45, because all the .40-framed pistols are as small as 9mm frames, but they have recoil much larger.

5. itchiban

itchiban Guest

The fullsized USP was built around the .40 round. It was becoming the cartridge that most LE departments were adopting at the time the USP was first produced. I can only imagine that the compact was built with the same intention. In fact The .45 compact came out after the .40/9mm's did.

6. nycmatt49

nycmatt49 Guest

Sig P229

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walther P99

sigs are junk
    HKs are junk
    Berettas aren't bad
    Glocks are total crap

8. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter