GUN First parts of new builds arrived

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Jan 14, 2009.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Picked these up at a local gun shop. Surprised they actually had any instock. Local show wanted $200+ for all lowers. Got them for $130/piece.

[​IMG]

The finish on the delton lower is rougher and looks of less quality than the doublestar.

Gonna do a 16" LMT upper of some sort with an aimpoint or something.

The other one is going to be a 10.5 upper with a suppressor of some sort. As long as funds allow it. :x:

Gonna start the research and fill out the forms soon for both items. Any info on brands of suppressors to look into or avoid? I was looking at the surefire setup b/c it's an easy on and off solution. Other than that I haven't done any research yet.

2. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

After having a 10.5" with a can, I would run a 12.5" if I had to start over.

3. Painkiller

With a 12.5" barrel you can run a AAC spr/m4, which is the best possibe combo. If you still want to run a 10.5" buy a AAC M4-2000. Avoid gemtech, awc, Tac inovations, surefire, Their rifle cans all suck. SWR makes good cans, I don't see their .223 cans that much though. Most people run AAC cans.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I have no issues running 12.5" I just thought a 10.5 would be cool but didn't start researching yet. Thanks for the info.

Where do I start with this tax stamp paperwork? Can I do two right away even if I don't plan on getting a suppressor right away?

5. Painkiller

Suppressors are life long purchases so buy the best unit you can afford. Find out how much you can or want to spend an go from there. Research before you buy, get a good stocking dealer that won't waste your time or your money. Most importantly be prepared to wait.

6. Painkiller

Your talking about your lowers right? Anyways download a current PDF copy of the ATF Form 1 to make them into SBR's. Type out your info on the PDF copy then print them out on one piece of paper, so that it's double sided. Go get them signed by a police chief, get finger printed, mail a check/MO for 200 dollars or 400 dollars if your doing 2 SBR's. Send off to ATF wait a while.

7. Painkiller

cereal? :o I'll sell you just the barrel if you want.I have to get a my Blackout mount off of it though. It's stuck on pretty good. :o

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I didn't think you could purchase the stuff until you had the approved stamp. :dunno: Wouldn't any class 3 dealer ask me for my stamp when I was about to purchase a suppressor?

9. Painkiller

The tax stamp comes back on your forms after you buy the can and send off your paperwork.

10. Painkiller

11. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

It's probably best to wait to buy the barrel until you get your stamp back. Chances are you'll be fine, but it's not like you'll be using it, so what's the point?

13. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

So I have to buy the suppressor and while purchasing it I fill out the proper forms to send in for the stamp. But for the SBR, I send out the forms before purchasing the barrel.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If it's in stock at your dealer's then yes. If you order it online, you will fill out the form after it arrives, because you need the serial number. This requires a Form 4, which is a transfer. A Form 1 is the application to make and register a firearm. You will fill this out one if you want to register your receiver to become a SBR.

As for suppressors, everyone has their favorites, don't take one person's word. Go try some out and see how they sound. Each company has their sack riders, which are 10x worse than Colt, LMT, and LaRue sack riders on ARFCOM. Plenty of companies put out good suppressors, some are quieter than others, and some are heavier than others. There are plenty of great 'budget' cans that suppress just as well as the more expensive ones. Do some research before you rush out and buy. If you're going for a 10.5", YHM's can is slightly quieter than AAC's. Plus the AAC M4 has that annoying pinging sound with every shot.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Sign up for silencer research. It's independently run and has a ton of good info and videos. I don't ever believe db reduction stats on a manufactures website because everyone's testing conditions, equipment, and environments differ.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/Reviews/aac_m41000_vs_yhm_stainless_phantom.htm?

edit: I read the article again, and it looks like it's the Blackout flash hider that produces the 'pinging' sound. I'm not sure if it still does that with the 2K models or not, I haven't noticed it in my experience but I don't know if the M42k I shot had a permanent Blackout installed or not.