A&P First panning attempt

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mrduke, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I finally had some subjects to try panning with so I went for it this past week. I've never tried it so jets moving at 100+mph (and accelerating) past me probably weren't the best to experiment with, but this one turned out pretty well I think.

[​IMG]

Shot in Tv at 1/50 with an XT and the kit lens. What autofocus mode are you guys using for panning? I think I shot this in AI Servo but I could be wrong, I wasn't sure which to use.

2. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

You could have done that with a much faster shutter speed. I usually find myself around 1/250 for my panning shots. For the plane I'm sure you could have gone even faster and had a better chance of a much clearer subject.

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I wasn't really sure what shutter to go with. Some of the race cars shots I've seen on POTN were between 1/100 and 1/30 so I figured 1/50 would be okay. I'll try it a bit faster next time and see how it turns out. Any advice on focusing? I was off to the side and the jet was coming at me at an angle, so I wasn't sure how to focus properly.

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

1/50? i'd use that for an indoor "now hold still!" portrait!!

keep it in tv, but yank that shutter as far up as you can!

put it in the center AF point, and go from there.

you're on a carrier, and you're just NOW finding somthing to shoot while panning the camera??? :rofl: :slap:

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

:nono:

first time out to sea with the camera.

6. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

so you're still out there, or you're going back? too f'n cool.

yeah, speed it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up. use Tv mode and whatever ISO you need, and go from there.

7. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Got home today actually. When we deploy I'm planning on picking up some cheap glass in Hong Kong. L for a deep discount? :x:

8. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

not sure when it comes to planes, but when i shoot panning shots (drifting) i like to stay anywhere from 1/60 to 1/200th depending on how far or how close i am. shutter priorty mode with * for focusing on AIServo. Center AF point.

for panning, more than anything, i feel practice makes perfect. when i first started out, i was getting maybe one decent shot out of 10 and maybe one crystal clear shot out of 30. now my keeper rate is maybe 1 in every 5.

IS helps too if your lens has IS mode 2, assuming u are using canon.

9. aCab

aCab New Member

When i shoot ama superbike, i use at least 1/500 for the fast parts of the track and at least 1/100 for corners

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

so, what's faster ... AMA Superbike or a jet shooting off a carrier? :big grin:

11. aCab

aCab New Member

:dunno:

I think the effect of panning has some relationship to shutter speed, how fast the object is going and your distance from your subject.

12. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

This was my only keeper out of about 15 :o You're definitely right, practice is key with this.

13. E-dub

E-dub New Member

I would have to disagree with most here, you did not go wrong with your shutter speed. (well, personally I like the look although more contrast would be nice or something to make it pop since it is direct daylight=boring exposure).

If you were looking to do a panning shot where the entire plane was in focus, you took the photo at the wrong angle. Especially with the focal length you were at (looks on the wide side, and understandable as you are confined to the deck of the aircraft carrier) it will yield a selectively focused portion of the subject. Let the plane get closer to you so that the plane is closer to making a 90 degree angle with the front of your lens. Because the plane is positioned as coming at you in this shot, it is not so much panning that we are seeing, but a change in proximity. For example:

[​IMG]

This shot is wide and the car is coming at the photographer which yields this effect. If you are looking for more of a all-in-focus shot, increase your focal length and as I mentioned before, get the plane closer to 90 degrees in front of you (perfect 90 is not required, but the closer to 90 the more the plane will stay solid in the shot).

And awesome opportunity, I'd love to have the opportunity to watch launches on a carrier.

14. aCab

aCab New Member

These are what I get - but they are taken at 200mm and f/4 mostly. 1/500 or 1/640. You still get a sense of movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I'm usually around 1/200ish to 1/300ish for panning shots depending on speed and whatnot :o

16. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Good advice, thanks. The jet was almost at exactly a 90 here so it could've been a good shot but judging from what I've read and seen in this thread, 1/50 is way too slow. My technique needs some work also :o Potential though.

[​IMG]

17. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Great shots man :eek3:

18. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter