COMIC First impression on several new anime series

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by I-heart-BoA, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

My turn to contribute:

E's Otherwise: C
    Scryed wanna-be. How many more of these do we need? Tokyo Underground, Flame of Recca, Get Backers just to name a few...can this X-Men everybody-has-special-ability genre be anymore saturated? It 'may' have the potential to surpass its predecessor a la Rahxephon to Evangelion (which I've hated deeply to begin with)...the keyword here is 'may,' which in this case should be replaced by 'unlikely.'

LastEXILE: A-
    Surprisingly, this anime has the potentials to be very deep; with that said, I'd like to thank Gonzo for making an effort to explore in genres less taken. Basically, think of the technology of this story to be similar to the empire in Final Fantasy VI and Zaibach of Escaflowne, but with a lot of airships powered by excessively fancy mechanisms and steam. Several creative and innovative ideas are thrown into the first episode, and classic themes like chivalry, honor, and independence are brought up. I didn't find any flaws with the sound and music, so I won't comment much on that. The female lead, thank heavens, is not an attractively cute genki girl, but more of a tomboy. I'm sure character development can more than make up for her haircut (points off for that). With an appealing background setup and a refreshing plot, this anime receives a big thumbs up!

D.N.Angel: B+
    Ah, the long awaited manga-anime conversion is finally released by subbers. I must commend, the anime has done a better job than I've expected, but it certainly does not live up to the far superior manga quality of artwork which I believe to be one of the prime strengths of the manga. The grade doesn't really do it justice mainly because I'm accustomed to the manga version already...it'll have to do a lot more than just above-average animation to impress me.

Matantei Loki Ragnarok: D
    After the disappointing turn in Spiral, I wasn't at all excited to watch another mystery-solving type of anime. This one, amazingly, manages to make Spiral look better in retrospect. Supernatural mysteries, Norse Gods condemned to be humans, no realism whatsoever (note: in most cases I go along with whatever the story background tells me, but this anime manages to suck to the point that I don't even want to listen to their bullshit explanations anymore)...please avoid at all cost unless you are like my roomie who likes kawaii dumb school girls. Oh, and the 'D' is only for Decent quality of animation.

Narue no Sekai: C+
    Epitome of cute lead girl or nadir of anime stupidity? You be the judge. Maybe I'm a tad bit harsh, but when the story is about cute school girl who is really an alien and stereotypical anime shy guy with the standard hair style (although he DID gather the strength to ask her out AND succeded in the first episode, which is an AMAZING record-breaking feat amongst lead males in romance/comedy animes) with very lame jokes, retarded-looking enemy (Space Ninja?! That guy looked more like a standard bum/robber; you may argue he's incognito, but you call THAT a ninja?!) and very annoying (once again, stereotypical) supporting cast, SOMETHING must be wrong. The plus is only given because Narue is indeed very kawaii when she blushes, but otherwise please spare yourself from this. You did NOTHING to deserve this sort of punishment. It might be cute. And stupid. If you want cutesy romance this desperately, I can recommend you far better animes than this piece of junk.

2. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

Narue is teh bomb. haven't gotten a chance to watch anything else though.

3. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

When she blushed for a moment after the boy says he doesn't mind that she's an alien...teh super kawaii, will be my future avatar. :o

4. tom3

tom3 ...

thanks for the head's up. i downloaded these and will probably get to watching them within the next couple days.

is animesuki down for anyone else?

5. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

Yah, it's under scheduled maintenance; I get the admin-login page, too. I recommend envirosphere as a temporary subsitution.

Edit: nevermind, it's back! :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2003
  6. tom3

tom3 ...

:cool: i haven't been able to find another comprehensive site.

7. I-heart-BoA

I-heart-BoA Guest

Human Scramble doesn't interest me that much, but Last Exile, gosh I must sound a whore for raving about it, has me hooked. :eek:

IBTriShieldbansmeforwhoringalaRRKK :wtc: