GUN First IDPA match under my belt

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Aug 15, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

So I did my first IDPA match last night at an indoor range in Northern VA. Not the ideal place, but around here, got to take what I can get. A little bummed that it was only three stages for my $20, but I had a good time anyway. Trying another one this coming week at another location that should prove to be better.

Anyway, for my first outing I'm not too upset with the results. Out of the 24 stock service pistol competitors in all classifications I finished 12th, so thats pretty good. I was 4th among the unclassified shooters, everyone else was an expert or sharpshooter.

I only dropped 3 total points on the first two stages and then 17 on the last one, which had me pretty bummed as I simply just had a bad stage and should have done a lot better than that.

All in all, pretty happy for the first outing and look forward to doing some more and some USPSA stuff as well.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sweeet! Nothing like the sweet sound of the SO yelling " down zero, down zero, down zero, dooooooooown zero..."

3. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

BTW, used the Wilderness belt that you and Yar recommended, worked out great. Thanks for the advice.

4. Congrats. It's addictive. Then you try USPSA, and it's more addictive... and more expensive.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I was there as well, and this was my first match also. would have made a thread about it but I have been quite busy as of late. what hour did you shoot? I was in the final hour, 9 o'clock. I talked to a dude who was shooting his first match like me, was it you??? :noes: I was the lefty in the plain white t shirt. talk about a small world if it was you.

I did not get the scores as I forgot to write down my email address on the sheet. I bet I got last, as it was quite an unnerving experience for me. I do believe I learned a ton though, and look forward to doing another one.

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I was in the 7 pm time slot. What is your name, I got a copy of the full score sheet. I can also email it to you as a PDF if you want it.

I got my personal score sheet today. Looks like I did pretty good except for two targets on the last stage where I lost almost all my points.

There was a mover and when it reached a spot a target that came from out of cover and disappeared almost as fast as it showed up. Also, it happened about half a second after the timer started and you had to shoot at the mover before engaging the cover target.

So I missed the cover target completely for 10 points off and since I was hurrying to hit the mover to try to get to the cover target, I missed it once completely too for 5 points.

So 15 of my 20 total for the match happened on two targets on the last stage. Oops.

Let me know and I'll send you the score sheet.

If you ever have Tuesday's off, Thurmont Gun Club in MD, just north of Frederick has IDPA shoots as well. Doing that one this Tuesday if you're interested.

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

cool, cool.

yeah that first part of the last stage was impossible, I'm pretty sure I didn't hit shit. I witnessed a couple dudes put two rounds through the cover target. It was seriously some ab13/yar shit.

if you could email the scores to an address I don't use for anything important, [email protected] i'd appreciate it.

I will look into this tuesday, very tempting..

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Sent.