GUN First Handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Nov 23, 2003.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Gun show is coming up in about 20 days, thinking about getting my first handgun, so what do you suggest? I already decided on a .40, more powerful than 9mm, yet higher mag capacity and less recoil (edit: )than .45.

My current top choices are:
    -Beretta 96
    -HK full sized USP: seems like a great gun, yet all mags ive seen are pretty expensive.
    (i like having lots of loaded mags so i dont have to reload every 2-3 mags)
    -Springfeild XD-40: looks interesting, heard good things about it, yet i dont know the prices and such.
    -something from Sig Sauer: i don't know much about them, but ive heard good things about them.

I am mostly looking for reliability in battle-type situations, yet i would like moderate accuracy.
    so, what are your opinions? also feel free to suggest any other gun (.40 SW), and no, im not going to buy a glock.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  2. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Others here, more informed in ballistics, will tell you that the best 9mm rounds match the properties of .40's.

And also, handguns that use .40sw usually have a SMALLER mag capacity then the same gun in 9mm. and 9mm has less recoil than 40 cal.

Lastly, why wont you consider a glock? Its odd that you included the XD in your list but not the glocks which are very similar.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For what you say you want the gun for, and the brand choices you give, the SIG and the Beretta are both the most combat proven designs. i personally favor the SIG P229, which is an ideal size of large enough to shoot comfortably but small enough to conceal without too much trouble.

And itch is correct, in a similar sized gun, the .40 will hold less rounds. (Although unless you're using preban mags, the 10rd limit makes this point sort of moot.) The recoil of the .40 is also notably more than the 9mm from a beginner's point of view.

It does offer marginally more stopping power, but the better 9mm loads are right up there with it and they are much easier to learn to shoot with. A 9mm you can hit 10 out of 10 with is infinitely better than a .40 you can hit 9 out of 10 with.

4. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

about my comment reguarding recoil and mag capacity: i meant to say that 40 has less recoil and higher mag capacity than the .45.

glocks: i live in MA, and ive been hearing that because of state regulations, many kinds of glocks are banned, or you can only get glocks produced before a certain date. Also because im sick of hearing the kids that think theyre "gangsta" talking about nothing but glocks, which is the only pistol name used in that shitty (c)rap music. so id rather have a non-"gansta"ized gun.

and ive already decided on .40, dont try to change my mind.

5. itchiban

itchiban Guest

dont take this the wrong way, but that a pretty rediculous reason to overlook a well made gun.

6. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

yes, i know, but this annoys me more than almost anything else in the world. and theres still the thing about the MA laws.
    so far, my top choice is the sig p226 anyway.

7. DK

DK New Member

8. kellyclan

For posterity's sake, i believe it is Glocks made after a date, not before. MA was among the first to require a visible and tactile loaded chamber indicator, and many manufacturers were forced to modify their designs to accomodate this law, Glock being one of them.

9. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

10. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Up:

recap on current guns I'm considering:

HK USP full size (.40)
    Beretta 96 (.40)
    Sig P226 (.40)
    CZ-75B (.40)

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

12. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

There is a Sig P226M, unused with 2 extra mags, at the local gun shop for $775. I plan to buy this if I can't find a better deal on it at the gun show two weeks from now. Any objections?

13. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Nope, I can only think of one brand of handgun that I would rather have if I couldn't have a Glock, and that is a SIG. I really want a P228.

14. Platinum_Thunder

Walther > Sig

15. Platinum_Thunder

look for a better deal

16. Platinum_Thunder

17. kellyclan

That's at least $75 too much unless those are preban 15rd magazines. (Worth about $50 each)

18. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've already decided on the sig, i dont mind the size, and I live in MA, and everything is expensive around here. Anyway, i said id look for a better deal at the gun show, if i couldn't find one, I'd get the one at the shop.

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

The best way is to go to the range and try all the guns you are looking at.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

"stopping power"...what a useless term. stopping power is what you use to describe brakes, not rounds. don't look at the size of the round, look at what the round does once it's in the target. don't look at the energy it has, look at the mass retained. don't look at the velocity, look at the penetration. then, compare different calibers, and consider recoil and capacity and size and weight and comfort and price. THEN make your decision.

if i change my user name to Dr. Fackler, will you bastards listen to me then?

22. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I can't really go to the range and try one out, because after asking several people, they all said that the closest range where i can rent pistols is in the middle of New Hampshire, and im in the middle of MA.

Anyway I found the same Sig at a different shop for $690.

23. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

i do :wavey:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  24. DK

DK New Member

i dont care about your username as long as you keep that avatar.

:fawk:

25. Platinum_Thunder

I'm not joking :dunno: