GUN First handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hkymstr, Jan 18, 2008.

1. hkymstr

hkymstr Hopefully we'll fix this in editing.

I'm new here, but I'm looking for your advice. I am looking at buying at buying my first handgun. Yesterday I went to the range and rented a Springfield XD 9mm. The 9mm had a slight kick, but it wasn't bad by any means. I was pretty accurate with the gun although it was my first time with a larger caliber handgun.

What would you recommend for someone starting out? I have been thinking of getting a .40 cal but I want to try it at the range first before making any decisions. From what I ready the .40 cal has a slightly larger kick than the 9mm. Is this true?

I know it is wise to try out the gun you are going to purchase but yesterday alone I spent $90 at the range (bullets and gun rentals). If I spend a few more days at the range renting guns I will have already spent in rentals and ammo for what I would have spent for buying a gun. I am trying to narrow my selection down a little, I am looking at these manufacturer/models: Sig Sauer P226/229, Walther P99, Glock, Springfield XD, and SW M&P.

iblurker

2. Werm

Werm Guest

9mm, like the one you tried, is a GREAT round. Good for self defense, reasonable price, etc...

The .40 has a "snappy" kick to it. The 9mm will do you good... price is good (ammo) and gun selection is more. (I say this even though I carry a G23).

Just keep trying out guns... don't feel in a rush, because those in a rush make decisions they regret.

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I like the .40 round a lot, the recoil seems negligible to me, the only real down side is ammo is more expensive then 9mm.

4. Werm

Werm Guest

Because he mentions buying A pistol I think 9mm is the best choice :o

I own both 9mm and .40 pistols... If I could only own one I would choose 9mm. Price of ammo and both being capable of self defense is why.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Wow, you are the biggest lurker I have ever seen :eek3:

Like Werm said, 9mm is a great round to start out with. I personally don't care for XDs but if you shoot good with it and you like it, by all means by it. What's right for you won't necessarily be right for someone else.

If you end up buying a gun you don't like you can probably sell it for pretty close to what you paid for it as long as you take care of it. I love P99s, Glocks, and most Sigs they fit my hand the best but ask if you can hold the guns in a gun shop to see what you like best.

6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

As entry level I agree, of course the best answer is to get both. :cool:

7. hkymstr

When I goto the range tomorrow I will rent two guns. I will try one in 9mm and .40cal, just to experience the round. I like that the 9mm is more universal and ammo is cheaper. I just need to figure out which two guns I will rent. I know a heavier gun will have a smaller recoil, but is there a difference in recoil between the composite guns?

8. hkymstr

haha, I know I'm a huge lurker.

thanks for the advice though.

9. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

My gun range will actually subtract money from a gun purchase if you rent guns there, which is a plus.

10. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

11. shiizz0n

shiizz0n OT Supporter

12. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Next handgun i purchase will definitely be a 9mm. Price of 45auto is starting to break the bank :wtc:

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I would also suggest trying something in .45 ACP. Many people I know actually prefer to shoot .45ACP. When I bring new people to the range, I generally have them run about 100 rounds of .22LR through a converted 1911, and then have them atleast try a .45ACP. Usually they want to keep shooting the .45 :dunno:

14. johnson

johnson New Member

If weight is a concern then Sig shouldnt be on that list. Other than that it only matters which one fits your hand better.

15. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How much to convert a 1911 to 22lr?

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Kimber, Ciener have kits that run 250-300 dollars that include a full slide/barrel and 1 magazine.

17. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

All the guns you listed are great just comes down to personal preference and feel. At least go handle the guns before buying...

18. hkymstr

thanks for the help. I realize there are forum rules on this type of question, I just wanted some opinions. I now have a better idea of what I want to try. Going to the range isn't going to happen today, I'll be going tomorrow instead.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

rent a glock 19 and a glock 23. or a G17 and G22. this will be a perfect comparison between 40 and 9mm. the pistols are essentially identical, except for caliber. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistols

you are in kommnifornia so you will be limited to 10 round magazines instead of the standard 15 or so round models.
    if you didn't know already all guns available to you will be limited to a 10 round capacity because of the state in which you reside.

20. hkymstr

I hate california's gun laws. Funny you mention the magazine capacity, the Springfield XD I rented at the range had a 15 round capacity.

21. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What in the world.....

22. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

:noes: