GUN first handgun.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crsaum, Jul 28, 2004.

1. crsaum

crsaum New Member

colt 1911 vs glock 23?

i've shot both a fair amount and like them both. anybody own both and have a preferance? if i get a 1911 though im not sure which make, thinking around spending < 650 though. any thoughts?

this would be a target/ nightstand gun and perhaps later on a CC gun.

2. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Go Glock if those are the only two you would consider. But I would take a look at the Springfield XD series.

3. Parabellum

Parabellum Molon Labe!

I say get the glock because for the money you'd spend on it, you could only get a decent 1911. Plus I heard they're high maintenence.:dunno:

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

What does capacity have to do with anything?

5. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

I vote for the Glock. Especially for concealment carry. The good thing about it is that there is no manual safety. So in a desparate situation, you draw, aim and squeeze the trigger. The bad thing is, there is no manual safety. Just your finger. So get really used to it.

6. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I second that... XD-40 is just over $400
    I paid $439 for the one I just bought

7. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

I love the govt 1911 design, but that's just me. I would probably steer you toward a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec gun -- they're very reasonably priced, and typically very solid in design. In my experience, I'd say they rival a Colt 1911A1 series 70 in quality and reliability. I'm personally not a big fan of glocks, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

As far as the eventual CC variable you threw in there, I don't think that either gun would be a great option. FWIW, I would consider something with a smaller/thinner/lighter frame for that type of everyday use (I carry a Kahr 9mm).

Reverend

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. crsaum

crsaum New Member

how does the XD40 compare to the other two? i might have to take a look at one

9. user32

user32 Guest

XD-40 is similar to a Glock in size and feel. I don't care for the backstrap safety on them (personal preference). They were designed in eastern europe somewhere. The XD is also a bit cheaper than the Glock. You can pick up an XD for about $399.

I have a Glock 19C which I think is a perfect gun for size, feel, capacity, etc. It is large enough that I can have fun shooting it, but small enought that I can still conceal it. You can get 15rd magazines for it.. Plus you can't beat the price of 9mm ammo.

10. Y2kAccord

its going to be really comparable to a Glock .40. It has won several awards as gun of the year recently. They are a nice alternative to a glock, without sacrificing quality or concealability.
    They do have a double external safety, one on the back of the grip and one on the trigger as you can see from this pic.
    They are rock solid, reliable and a choice you should defiantely consider

[​IMG]

11. l S3RG10 l

l S3RG10 l New Member

Glock > *

I carried and shot one of those the other month, quality!

12. rehab

rehab New Member

My roommate just picked up the XD40, he likes it a lot but i also have several friends with glocks that love those. I would focus on one of these two over a 1911

13. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

If you going to get a 1911 don't bother getting a cheapy.

14. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

:bigthumb:

15. Nazareth_JA

Nazareth_JA Guest

i vote 1911.
    although i would say try both again and decide which one you like better.

16. ryanbum

except in a pocket gun

17. Y2kAccord

If you cant hit someone in 8 rounds while defending yourself.. you should just give up

18. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I think you should get a Glock but think about the 9mm series (17, 19, 26). 9mm is cheaper and easier to shoot than .40 or .45 enabling you to practice more. The ballistic difference between any of those calibers is negligible in good defense loadings.

19. Y2kAccord

For a defense round, a .40 is going to have more stopping power than a 9mm and the cost of the .40 is just a few bucks more than a box of 9mm

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

"Stopping power" in a pistol caliber? ALL pistol calibers are anemic. People shot with pistols tend to “stop” because they choose to and not because they are physically unable to continue the attack. The differences between .40 and 9mm really are negligible. Shot placement is much more of a factor. Mindset is the most important factor of all.

Caliber arguments are pointless. Pick the gun you shoot the best, practice with it often and carry it with you all day every day. If and when the fight comes have the mindset to stay in the fight and win.

21. Y2kAccord

So you say someone shot in the chest with a .50cal desert eagle is going to just stopp attacking because he wants too.. or because of the HUGE hole in his chest that just exploded his internal organs? I wouldnt call a large caliber such as .44, .45 or .50 anemic with stopping power.

22. ryanbum

Are you going to carry a .50 cal?

23. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You should reread the rest of what I wrote. Specifically the part about shot placement and mindset.

If you think that people who get shot with pistols fly back several feet and die in seconds you've seen too many movies.

Yes, a person shot in the chest with even the mighty .45 (.40, .50 AE, .44, .454, .500) stands a very low chance of dieing instantly. They will lose consciousness or collapse due to one or more of the following three factors: a major disruption of the CNS, severe blood loss inducing shock or the destruction a major component of the skeletal support structure. People who are shot with pistols (I don't remember the exact percentage) live something like 75-80% of the time. Death due to blood loss even with the complete destruction of the heart can take seconds or several minutes. A person being non-ambulatory does not mean they can't still shoot you from the ground. A person who is shot with a pistol who isn't unconscious or dead is still able to fight and pistols are not good tools for making people unconscious or dead quickly. Most people will stop because they want to and not because they have to.

24. Y2kAccord

Sure why not...
    Its another story if I would acutally shoot one in my house for defense :eek3:

25. ryanbum

How are you gonna carry a .50cal?....Ruger doesn't make one...:slap: