GUN first handgun: Ruger kp 9mm?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MrBlonde, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

I'm not sure about the exact model but there are two rugers down at the local gunshop I stopped at today, both used, 3.75" and 4" barrells both for around 259$-299$.

Is this a decent deal? I'm looking for something to start out on only for targets.

There was also some model of a Taurus for around the same price and also a Smith and Weston in a 40S&W but kinda thought I wanted to go with a 9mm.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You cant go wrong, I had a Ruger P-89T 9mm, I sold it to a friend who liked it. Ruger gets a bad rap because they are inexpensive, but they are built solid to last forever, they are great beginner guns, easy to use, operate and take apart, followed up by excellent customer service if you have a problem.

I can already tell there will be some Ruger hate coming, but for plinking they are a great gun.

Checked and its probably a P-94 or 95

3. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

there shouldn't be any problem purchasing used would there be?

It's a fairly pretty gun with the two tones. :cool:

4. Y2kAccord

Ruger tested at at 25,000 rounds took it apart and had 0 wear.. I had about 2500 through mine with 0 problems

Did it look like this?

This was mine but I had a different grip on it

[​IMG]

5. Y2kAccord

Also another suggestion if you can find one for plinking is a Ruger Mark II .22 smaller caliber advantage for plinking is ammo is 550rds for $8 where a 9mm is 100 rds for $11.. both affordable. They run between 250-300. They are very popular because of the amount of stuff you can get for them.

[​IMG]

6. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

it was like that except the lighter tone was the top part and not the grip. As far as money goes, i'de rather have a 9mm than a .22. I want something I can shoot other than a .22

I wouldn't be shooting extreme amounts just whenever I had the urge.

7. Y2kAccord

I think for a first gun to target shoot you cant go wrong

8. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I just picked up a KP89D 9mm for my wife, and a P90 .45 for my self. They're not bad weapons. They're not as nice as my Sig P220, but I got the two guns for less that what I payed for my Sig.
    Anyways, The 89 is really nice. It's pretty damn accurate. And the over all quality probably get an 8 in my book. Though I like 45's,But the 9mm's accuracy and how easy it is to shoot came as a REAL surprize me. Not any recoil (I'm used to .45's so it's like nothing to me), so it's real easy to re-aquire the target. Very easy gun to shoot..anyways, Here's a couple pics..
    1st pic is @ 25 yards with 10 round clip and American Eagle ammo
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and here's a few of the Sig, just because.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. spartan

spartan Guest

I do not think that anyone can go wrong with a Ruger as a first handgun. My first carry piece was a P94 in .40S&W. It performed well and was greatly enjoyed by me and my shooting friends. We found that everything about it was OK and gave all of us an idea of what we would want in future pistols through the things that we did and did not like about the Ruger.

Definetly go for it. Those prices are about $25 cheaper than what they are running used around here, so it sounds like a good deal.

10. Xeelee

Xeelee Baryonic Lord

11. spartan

spartan Guest

I no longer own a Ruger handgun, just a 10/22. My current CCW handgun is a Springfield Armory 1911 in .45ACP.

I also have a .44Mag Raging Bull, FN Five-seveN, and Bersa .22 plinker. In addition to those and the previously mention Ruger I also had a Walther P99 in .40S&W that was my intermediate peice before moving to the 1911.