GUN First hand gun what should i get????

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by God of War, May 7, 2003.

1. God of War

God of War Guest

i got no idea.

2. KW

KW Guest

If you are just getting into pistol shooting you may want to consider a .22LR pistol of some sort, like a Ruger Mk II or Walther P22. These are great starter pistols as they are affordable, low recoil, and fire cheap ammo. Good to learn with.

If you really need more of a defense oriented weapon your best bet is to find a shooting range in your area that will allow you to rent handguns. Try everything you can - most modern pistols are reliable enough, but the trick is to find one that fits your hand and "points" well for you. Most pistols can be had in a variety of calibers, so it's best to find the platform you like the most (eg Glock, SIG, S&W, HK etc) and then choose a caliber.

9mm, .40 and .45 are the typical autopistol calibers (there are lots of others, but I would stick to one of these three to start with). There are tradeoffs with each - 9mm will be the highest capacity (if you are willing to spend the extra $ for hi-cap mags), and have the lightest recoil. .40 and .45 rounds will generally be a bit more powerful then the 9mm, but usually have more recoil, and you won't be able to carry as much ammo per mag. One other thing to consider is the cost of ammo. 9mm is by far the cheapest (.45 can be nearly twice as much), which will generally allow you to practice more. This is very important, as hit location will have a much greater bearing on the effectiveness of your shooting then what caliber you are using.

3. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

desert eagle :big grin:

4. God of War

God of War Guest

Was thinking a 9mm sig p220 or a glock. All the ckubs around you dont let you hire which is pretty gay aint it. I know the clock is easy cleaning but how is the Sig??

5. KW

KW Guest

My Sig P228 is easy enough to clean. They are really quite simple, and easier to disassemble then Glocks IMO. Also the Sigs are very reliable even when dirty ... it's really not the kind of gun you have to clean everytime you shoot it (though it's a good idea anyway).

6. God of War

God of War Guest

NICE sounds good

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

SIG or Glock are both fine weapons, easy to maintain, accurate, and durable enough to beat on.

Get the one you like better after fondling them both. :big grin:

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Sig or Beretta

9. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

I would have to say KW is right -- stick with a smaller gun just to learn, like a .22 from Walther (great pieces, btw). Once you feel comfortable with that, you can move on to something with a bit more recoil and stoppnig power.

I started on a .22 Browning Challenger, much like the Ruger's. I still shoot with it, and I use it to teach beginners how to shoot.

10. God of War

God of War Guest

whats the furthest distence you shoot from with handgun? the furthest i have shot from was 10m

11. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

most indoor ranges ive been to go up to 20-25 yards. its not uncommon for people to shoot at 50 yards (mostly 1911 guys) .. and you'll sometimes see a high power revolver shooting from a rest at 100 yards.

typically people practice at distances they are likely incounter when they would use the gun.. so for self defense anywhere from 5 - 15 yards and for competitoins it would vary.

edit: i just realized i never answered your question. the furthest ive shot at with a hand gun is 25 yards.

12. KW

KW Guest

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently the average police shooting takes place at only 7 yards (and they only average 20% hits!), and the average civilian shooting takes place at 3 yards or less. Most of my practice is in the 5-15 yard range, but I've shot at stuff that was 40-50 yards away a few times. Most pistols sights aren't really useful much over 25 yards ... they're just too big and the sight radius too short.

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i've fired an S&W 29 at 100 yards. my friend, who owns the 29, pulled of a miraculous lucky shot. he got pissed off one day with his AR, and pulled out his G19, which has 124 gr. +P GDHP's in it. at 200 yards, he hit the 12" gong on the first shot. of course, his next 14 rounds weren't anywhere near that. we told him to stop on a good shot, but he kept trying to duplicate it.

i practice handguns at 21 ft most of the time, but lately i've been practicing my draw and fire, my shoot and move, and my shooting while moving. so, varying ranges.

14. God of War

God of War Guest

yeh its 3-6 feet is the average

15. Count Grishnackh

Count Grishnackh Three weeds from the same root

Beretta 92FS > *

16. God of War

God of War Guest

Anyone on here from australia so i know the price's

cause i got no idea might go around looking in phone book for places

17. God of War

God of War Guest

This is for sporting and for work i work in security

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The only thing i've ever priced in AU was high end stuff (Manurhin MR73), the shop doesn't even sell more practical arms. :dunno: From the prices on those items though ($A2399, US$1399), i would expect something like a Glock or Beretta would be about the same as they are here, US$500-ish

i've never seen any AU places online that price other guns though. :dunno:

Incidentally, if you find any dealers down there with a hook up to an American importer to get one of those MR73's, lemme know. :o

19. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Sig and Walther P99 :holla:

20. meat-head

meat-head Guest

you might also want to consider a revolver. they are cheaper, easier to operate/clean and reliable. for a first handgun it might not be a bad idea. you can get something in .357mag and shoot .38 specials for practice (comperable to 9mm) and keep magnums loaded for self-defense.

it would stink to spend the money on a big fancy polymer frame gun only to lose interest in shooting after a while.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2003
  21. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

get the glock accurate out the box easier to maintain and lighweight,sigs are nice too but pretty pricey especially as a first handgun