GUN first gun...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SmokeMonkey, Nov 27, 2004.

1. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i've thought about buying a gun for a olong time, years in fact. there seems to be an overwhelming number of makers and models out there and i put some thought into what kind of gun i want, maybe you can help me.

here's the criteria, hopefully there is at least a few guns to choose from...

non revolver so its gonna have to be a pistol.

as powerful as it can be as long as the bullet stays within the target. i dont want to shoot at someone breaking into my house and having the bullet go through them and through some walls in the process, i want it to hit them and make them go down. not sure if this realistic BUT...i'm figuring for close combat defensive shooting. of course the round makes a difference but...lets stick with caliber first and go from there.

practical. i dont want nor do i need the latest winkwonk composite whatever. i want the materials to be simple (not cheap and poorly made, big difference)

inexpensive, doesnt have to be top of the line but i dont want a cheap saturday night special either. remember its a first gun purchase so something in the middle of the road as a "baseline" is what i'm going for.

durable. if i drop it it better not fall apart or break, just in case i get butterfingers.

pics of your suggestions would be nice!

also what round would you recommend with the firearm you suggest?

2. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

as far as the bullet going through them and into walls/other people, its not so much as how powerful the gun is, but what ammo you shoot. FMJ's are going to penetrate a human body more easily than a hollowpoint, plus hollowpoints mushroom to cause a bigger wound than a FMJ. I am not saying that the caliber of the round doesn't matter but the round selection is VERY important.

As far as what gun to get, I would say get:
    1911 (my personal fav style of gun evar)
    Glock
    Springfield XD (I finally decided to get one of these after lots and lots of deliberation between it and the glock)
    SIG
    HK
    Walther

All of these manufacturers make good firearms, most of it all comes down to your personal taste/price range. It would be much easier if you said I don't want to go over XXX dollars.

As far as what round to begin with, thats up to you. 9mm is cheaper than .45 ammo, but if I was carrying the gun I would go with .45 ( I just like having the larger caliber over the smaller one) in general a 9mm will have the largest magazine capacity, usually 10+ compared to 7+ with a .45

That should get you started, let us know price range and what you plan to do with it.

3. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

well a glock 9 mm seems the most interesting to me. not sure what price range to go with, guns seem expensive to me in general so i'm not sure what figure to spit out that seems reasonable, i havent looked at enough price tags to be honest. i guess 250-350 bucks...approximately.(please dont laugh)

i would like to do some shooting for fun and practice, like at a range, just something to do but also to get use to holding it firing it and how it acts when fired, "just in case" its ever needed, hopefully it never would be.

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I'm curious, but why not a revolver? I know they are not "cool", but a revolver meets every other requirement you put out there. They are exceedingly safe and reliable, have the most powerful rounds (excluding freaks like the FiveSeven), and usually cost less than semi-auto's. I have several pistols, but my primary "home defense" weapon is a S&W 686 .357 magnum with hydra-shok rounds. The only real downside is that you only get 6 (7 with a 686 Plus) rounds before reloading, compared to 10-15 for a semi-auto.

5. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

because i want a firearm with more than 6 shots. otherwise i would probably go with a 357 magnum with a 5 inch barrel from S&W.

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

In this particular case I'd highly suggest a Glock 21, its a fullsize 45 with a 12 or 13 round capacity. Its easy to maintain, its accurate, its got a rail if you wanted to add a light to it for home defense, its definately durable, you can get into one used for around $350, and you can't really go wrong with the 45 ACP. For the price you've listed I'd stay away from 1911s in that range.

7. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

that CZ75B is a nice looking gun and seems really nice all around, based on a proven design that still being used, thats gotta say something about the gun!

their MSRP is like a hair under 500...more than i wanna spend but probably worth it considering what i'm getting in return...i do like the site though, its pretty straight forward and not full of hype and bullshit.

i'm probably not even close to being done asking questions, this is important to me so i'm gonna ask whatever it is i can i think of.

i'm still trying to figure what features i want and so on.

8. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

there is a dealer here that sells CZ so i'll probably go local for the purchase, i love to go with the small local shops for just about everything, guess its the support the underdog thing with me.

i need to look into what i need to do PRIOR to buying a gun. lol i still dont know as i havent looked into it yet. maybe because i hate red tape and i dont like jumping through hoops for something i want. oh well. gotta get it done sometime!

9. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i'm in kentucky

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Are you planning to carry this pistol or will it be strictly for home defense?

If you are only needing a gun for home defense and over penetration is your primary concern, get a shotgun and load it with #4 shot.

11. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i do NOT want a shotgun. in close quarters situations a long firearm is better used as a club rather than to shoot at the person. i want a pistol.

spraying and praying is NOT part of the plan nor will it be.

12. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i checked out packing.org. its all about concealed weapons laws...

i looked for info on simply buying a fucking gun in kentucky...apparently i'm google-tarded cuz i couldnt find anything, just kept seeing the law about carrying a concealed weapon.

i'll find out at the local gun dealer! thought i'd "mouse" my way to the info but i guess not!

found some reasons why i couldnt find info...apparently there arent many requirements for buying a gun here! lol

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=KY

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  13. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Wow, Nothin like bein down south eh? lol
    I couldn't remember what state it was in but a friend of mines parents were vacationing down there, they bought a handgun from some store, the guy rang it up and put it in a paperbag and said have a nice day :rofl:

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You are absolutely, positively wrong. I hope you continue to educate yourself before becoming a gun owner.

15. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Hmmm. I don't remember recommending buckshot in my post.

A shotgun with #8 or even #4 shot will have FAR less overpenetration than any of the common pistol calibers. 9mm is one of the worst rounds for overpenetration through building materials. If overpenetration during home defense is his main concern he would be better served with a shotgun or AR.

16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I half agree with you, I'd still stay away from shotguns, just because I live in fairly tight quarters. I have TV's, art and other valuables hanging on walls and just generally everywhere. I honestly believe I might hesitate shooting somebody who is next to my $3000 TV with a shotgun unless I was shooting slugs or non-lethal.
    While I do worry about overpenetration, its not the end all be all of the subject. My personal home defense gun used to be my AR, but I've since learned that politics play a big role in the aftermath of shooting someone (especially if you're in the right to do so). So I've kinda leaned away from the AR in that sense (but it is one of the better weapons for CQB).
    My current home defense gun is a HK USPT in 45 with a suppressor and a light attached, overpen. isn't a concern with a 45 cal bullet one or two shots the perp is down if you hit him center line and its a reliable gun that isn't going to make much noise doing its job effectively.
    I do believe this guy was asking for recommendations for a pistol so I think we should try to help him out in those regards instead of hijacking his tread.

One last suggestion, if you're thinking about carrying this pistol I'd also suggest a Glock 23 for dual purpose, small, light, nice caliber, and its a overall fairly nice handgun for the price. You can get into one used for around 350-400.

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

How much do you think a shotgun pattern expands at in-home distances?

So an AR for home defense is going to look like overkill to a jury but a suppressed USPT is good to go?

ok.

My primary home defense gun is an AR. In my own house if it comes down to using a pistol I've fucked up.

You're right, back on track with home defense handgun suggestions. Get a third generation Glock 19 and put a light on it. Take as much training as you can from any number of the decent training schools in your area and practice what they teach you.

18. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

well choice of weapon for hypothetical situations aside...

what kind of round for it if i get say the CZ75B?

whats a good cleaning kit? where to find it? how much?

since the AWB is gone...think getting a few extra clips with a capacity over 10 would be a good idea?

what can i do with the CZ75B as far as customizing, changing it?

19. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

yeah i'm thinking of having it as a at home gun and MAYBE another gun to carry with me at a later date.

my concern with the round is the weight. whatever it is i practice with should be similar to what i would normally shoot with so the shot will feel the same. i just dont wanna get some good rounds and use them just for practice when a less expensive but similar in grain round can be used for target shooting. this is one of those things i'll simply learn about as i go and find what works for me and what i'm wanting out of a round. i might go with a hollowpoint but i dont want something that is gonna put a beating on the gun. my fear is i get a gun and i wanna go out to the range all the time, i've been shooting before and i enjoy it, a LOT. so it very well could see LOTS of use.

i'm wanting to go with 15 round magazines and probably WILL. i did some checking around and since the AWB is up stuff labeled for export only or law enforcement can be bought by me now...comforting! i've been checking into what can and cant be baught and done now since the AWB expired and i'm learning!

i saw some links on cz's site and they have two for custom made grips, one site i checked out uses all kinds of wood and has different style of grips. nice looking stuff. walnut looks NICE and i might go with that.

i am interested in the CZ75B but i'm looking at their other models and seeing what else might be interesting to me. they have a decocker model of the 75, hell they have several versions of the 75. i also checked out glock's site and S&w's site. S&W aint cheap! i also looked at HK USPs...oh man they're nice but damn i know they arent cheap!

whats the difference between a .40 and a 9mm? the .40 is slightly bigger but is there a huge difference? i havent been sold on a particular caliber as i'm still checking out stuff. i MIGHT go with a .40 instead, just not sure. is the round for a .40 just heavier in general? is that the big difference?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  20. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

Sig pro Sp2340. my first gun, cheap, and feels good in your hand.

21. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

My 2 cents, for go the 9mm get a .40 if you are going that route.

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

springfield xd9 or xd40, or a star bm 9mm

and practice, practice, practice..

not just shooting. but withdrawing from holster, etc..

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I recommend a shotgun as the best home defense with #1 buckshot or a home defense round. You get 12" penetration in a human, but less penetration through solid objects such as walls than a pistol or rifle round. I would never opt for a rifle unless I lived out in the country and wasn't worried about over pentetration because the round is going to go through the target. If living in suburbs or an apartment, you can be pretty sure that the bullet you shoot will end up in someone else's house or unit. (I have dug out 7.62 and 5.56 rounds from neighbors homes after they have gone through 4 walls)

A shotgun causes damage by crushing and has similar fps of a 9mm but has higher kinetic energy. Since the pellets are spheres, they lose that energy fast though. A mossberg was my weapon of choice for house clearing and CQB.

24. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i looked at some smith and wessons,and didnt find anything i liked on their site.

i did look at .22's at a few sites as maybe a cheaper way of getting into shooting and stuff. i also looked at them to get my wife into shooting as well, she's up for it so i'm looking at stuff for me as well as stuff for her.

for me i DID see the CZ83, its a .38 but its smaller so IF i wanna carry it i'll probably be able to, and its cheaper than the CZ75B, which i'm still very much interested it. its cheaper by about 100 bucks.

http://www.czusa.com/product.detail.php?id=40

its a nice looking gun and i think it might work out better.

maybe later when i really get into shooting i might step up to a .40 or a .45, but for an entry level piece, this one looks good.

the CZ100B looks nice also and has a good price IMO.

http://www.czusa.com/product.detail.php?id=44

its a polymer/steel gun, has adjustable sites and comes in 9 mm or .40 and is probably cheaper than the CZ75B.

i know it looks like i'm looking at one company but i'm not.

25. SmokeMonkey

SmokeMonkey New Member

i looked that one up. nice gun! looks nice...definitely one to think think about.

how much did you pay for it?