GUN First Gun: What Should I Look At?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by az, Sep 22, 2002.

1. az

az Guest

I have been around guns all my life, but just now really started to get interested in ownship of a hand gun for home/personal protection.

I am young, and when I turn 18 (few months) I plan to get a permit to carry. I think, my father is planning to buy me a hand gun for my 18th birthday.

So, what type of gun should I look at?

It will probably stay in my truck a lot, and sometimes be on me, or in my house. So, I want something kind of small, reliable (since the only time I would ever use it would be a VERY last resort), etc.

I have looked at Berrata hand guns, and I like the feel and look of them but do not know too much else.

What do you guys recommend looking at, testing, etc.?

Thanks

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For carry, i think anything bigger than my Glock 27 is way too big. And even that is a PITA. ;) But i absolutely wouldn't try and conceal anything larger than a HK USP Compact.

The classic S&W J-frame revolver wouldn't be a bad choice, but you have to decide if you can comfortably conceal the thicker width due to the cylinder.

A Kel-tec P11 9mm would be a good budget carry piece for about $240 new. It's nearly identical in size to the Glock 26/27 models. They recently stopped making their P40 which is the same gun only in .40SW, but they can still be found for sale @ $300 or so. The trigger is by no means luxurious, but it smoothes out with use and for a defensive pistol, it's not unmanageable.

i don't have any experience with the Beretta 8000 seriees (Mini-Cougars). Haven't heard anything really bad, but nothing good either. Same goes for their space gun looking 9000 series.

In mouseguns, Beretta just came out with a Titanium Tomcat .32

So now it's almost as light as the Kel-tec P32! But still a good bit larger. ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2002
  3. kellyclan

4. kellyclan

Beretta 8000
    [​IMG]

Glock 26/27/33 (again, model number differs with caliber, but they all look the same)
    [​IMG]

Btw, i edited my original post, make sure you look again. :)

5. kellyclan

And where can you get a carry permit at 18? :confused:

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

um, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get those federal firearms laws to bend enough for you to squeeze a carry permit out of them. you cannot legally own or possess a handgun until 21, as per fed. law. in states that have carry permits, you must be 21 to obtain one, because they assume that in order to carry you must be in possession of that handgun. the only time you can possess a handgun under 21 is on property, the owner of which has given you permission; when an adult of age 21 or older is present; if you are law enforcement or military. there may be more exceptions to the law, but you're not going to get a carry permit. there's no way.

7. footratfunkface

1)yes, it's impossible, and for that reason. unless those "strings" that get pulled are for an amendment to the laws that regulate carry permits, you're not getting one. same goes for true ownership of handguns.

2)yes, but you can only transport it if there is someone 21 or older in the car with you.

3)as for having it in the truck, i can't remember if the law allows you to carry it in your truck if you are en route to a range or competition. i seem to recall some provision for this, but i also seem to recall that it has to be in a case in a non-passenger compartment. i also seem to remember, and maybe this was GA law, might've been federal, that if you use a handgun in self-defense or defense of another, that the possession of the handgun cannot be prosecuted. however, i believe that this is meant to apply to a situation where you were not previously in possession of said handgun. i'll try to find out and let you know, maybe leave a link here. but do some research of your own.

8. kellyclan

It's federally legal for a person over 18 to transport a handgun and/or handgun ammo, as in from house to house or to the range, but it's not legal to actually carry it as in concealed on your person, nor can it be transfered to your name until you're 21.

i know it's legal for anyone, even under 18, to use a firearm in defense of their home or a residence where said juvenile is an invited guest, but if there is a clause in that to apply to a automobile, i don't know.

It is entirely legal to get a rifle/shotgun at 18yo, maybe that added to the confusion? :dunno:

9. Raybiez

Raybiez Guest

Where can i buy pistols from ?

10. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

yeah you won't be getting a permit to carry until your 21. In the mean time, buy a shotgun. You can get a rifle legally at 18.

11. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

gun shops...

12. Raybiez

Raybiez Guest

i live in australia and pistols are not allowed
    can anyone tell me how to buy it from the us and have it sent to me via the mail /??

13. footratfunkface

tell me who that is in your avatar. and i don't think that's possible, though, some of the people here used to be or are firearms dealers, so they may know.

14. kellyclan

So far as i recall, a US Federal Firearms Licensee ("FFL holder", aka licensed gun dealer) cannot export handguns outside the US. They can only transfer (sell) a handgun to a person residenting in their own state, unless the transferee (buyer) is another FFL holder.

They can export long guns (rifles/shotguns), provided a fairly complex set of restrictions, that i'm not totally informed about, are followed. Most simply say they will not or cannot export so as not to be bothered. You would need to contact the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) for exportation information.

To import a firearm into AU would be more hoops to jump. You would want to contact the police in the place you will be residing with the firearm to obtain the local regulations and permissions.

This is the only other info about importing into AU that i could find.

You must:
    Obtain a Firearm License from the Australian Police authorities in the region of your final destination. The firearm can be imported duty-free if:

You have a Firearm License.

The firearm passes ballistics inspection by the Commonwealth Police.

If handguns are illegal to be sold in AU, i highly doubt they will permit you to import one.