GUN First gun purchase, WMD help.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Yoritomo, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

Grew up in a home with plenty of guns. Moved out. Married, Kids. Sending in Paperwork for CHL tomorrow.

Usually I'll just borrow stuff from friends or my family when going to the range.

Since this will be the first gun I actually own and keep in my home, it'll need to double as a CCW.

Looking at .45 acp SA right now and Have shot plenty of 1911s, Glocks, and Rented a Springfield .45 XD compact at the range.

I really liked the XD and will probably pick one up. Before I do though. What else should I shoot before making this decision? I don't want a 1911 for my first CCW gun. That leaves other poly guns. I didn't like the way the Glocks felt compared to the XD so those are out for a first gun. My only issue with the XD is also the reason I love it. The wide rounded grip fits perfectly... I also have big hands. It might not be as comfortable in my beltline if I get in a habit of carrying though.

Should I try a Smith and Wesson MP? Any other suggestions on things I should shoot before buying something?

Sorry, just looking for experiences from other Oters on this. Thanks.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

1911s conceal very well since they are so flat, but you'd probably be spending atleast 2x as much to get something as reliable as a glock/xd/m&p

M&P is a good gun if you don't like the Glock. I'm not a fan of the grip safety on the XD so the M&P would be an awesome second choice for me anyway.

Any particular reason for .45? 9mm is almost half the cost and you get more capacity.

3. Glocks are my favorite, but XDs are good guns too. Just pick what feels most comfortable to shoot. Concealing either one isn't very hard. As for caliber, modern defensive ammo is very good, and the differences between 9mm and .40 and .45 are largely academic.

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

you'll probably get tired of trying to conceal your 1911 - so I would say get a Glock 19 or 26

5. Yoritomo

Yoritomo dad's jar chimer

Not really, and it might intimidate my wife less. The only reason was that I've spent more time with 45s than anything else.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

i have a glock and love it, my roomate has an xd and loves it and my cousin has an M&P and loves it and Ive shot all three (all compact .40 cals). All three are great guns its just up to personal preferance can't go wrong with either one imo

7. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Glock 19 or M&P 45

8. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Definitely check out the M&P's, I've never shot one, but they felt better in my hand then the XD.