WEB First E-Commerce

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Nov 18, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I'm dong m first e-commerce site, and I need some help setting it up. I'm setting up a jewelry store online, but I've never really done one before. What kind of things are absolutely necessary for a store backend/database? Any sites on writing good e-commerce sites?

2. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

SSL, shopping cart

3. hurleyint1386

How difficult is it to set up SSL? Also, do you have a link to setting up a shopping cart?

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Setting up SSL is pretty easy, I've only done it once but if I remember correctly you just order an SSL certificate from somewhere and they give you a key, put that into cPanel in my case and it just starts working when you goto https://ww.... Other people on here probably have more experience with it though or have done it more recently.

As for shopping carts, there are a couple decent free ones, OSCommerce and Zen Cart come to mind. Pick your favorite shopping cart software and set it up on your server then learn how to customize the layout and add in your products. I can't make a recommendation because I don't have any experience with these, I don't use cart software for what I do.

One thing I didn't mention before is payment processing, there are various ways to process payments.
    -PayPal of course, shopping cart software will work with this.
    -www.2checkout.com is another option, cart software also will work with this. 2co processes your transactions and you get the money minus a percentage, there is also a setup fee of like $40 or so. No monthly fee.
    -Merchant account. I have a merchant account I use to process cards directly on my site. I use www.cdgcommerce.com for this. There is a monthly fee of $10 plus transaction fees of a few percent. This method keeps users on your site during the entire checkout process, looks most professional, but also requires you to be the most secure and responsible. Especially if you store credit card numbers for future use.

5. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

You will basically need:
    -SSL (around $30/year)
    -A shopping cart (Zen Cart is good)
    -Hosting (Bounceweb is good :p We have the shopping cart software too).
    -A merchant like XDude said.

Everything else is adding your products, customizing your site and promotion.

6. hurleyint1386

So writing my own shopping cart isn't recommended? I'll take a loot at zen cart and see how it works. For some reason, I thought SSL certificates were more expensive. I've already got hosting with HostMonster (which so far has been awesome, and I strongly recommend them).

7. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Some SSL certs are a lot of money, others are cheap, don't ask me why. Coding your own cart would probably be useless, unless you simply cannot work with an existing cart for some reason.

8. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

http://www.thawte.com/

SSL certs here. Cheap yearly. They were bought out by verisign I think.