A&P First Dslr help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Bencorn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Hey, I've been lurking around the A&P threads for a while just reading up and taking as much in as I could and I've decided to take the plunge. I don't really want to lose and arm and a leg on my first camera but I found a pretty good deal on a EOS Rebel T1i. I was just wondering if this would be a good camera to start with or if I should go for something else in that price range?

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

look for a used 30d or a 40d.

It all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend.

Few points to note:

1 Quality Glass > Camera body
    2 Get rid of your kit lens - refer #1

3. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

what kind of deal?

Give us a dollar amount and the details on the deal (what it comes with) and we'll see if we can suggest something better.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

So, forgive my ignorance, but how important is the megapixel rating because the 30d and 40d both have lower than the rebel but the 30 is only a little lower price-wise and the 40 is higher in price. I know the image processing plays a significant role in that but I was just wondering what am I looking for in specs and what-not. I don't really know how to compare 2 different cameras.

5. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I can get the Rebel for around 650 new with kit. It seemed like a decent deal at about 100 dollars off.

6. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

If you are not going to be printing huge prints, then don't worry about megapickles.

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i was debating getting the XSI because it was what like $550ish or something.

i chose to go with a nikon d90, because i didnt want to be limited down the road.

try to go prosumer... like 40d or d70-d80. if u can swing it go d90 or 50d

you can get the d90 + 50mm 1.8 lens for about $1150. Crisp lens, just no zoom feature.

8. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

this.

hmmm. Not a lot I can suggest in that price range. It seems like a pretty good price, and any lens I suggested would be more than that whole kit. Really, you'd be better of saving a bit more and buying a 30D/40D and a 24-105L or 24-70L lens, but that will put you at about twice what you are looking at. if you really are just looking to get your feet wet, the Rebel is an ok start. Just keep in mind this can become a VERY expensive hobby very quickly.

9. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

The T1i is probably the reigning king of the entry level DSLRs. It's leaps and bounds above any of the other rebel lineup, and Nikon's entry level cameras just aren't that great. The downside to the entire rebel line is ergonomics, and build quality. If you've got large hands, you'll find holding that camera is a misery after an hour or two. The plastic build makes you afraid to set it down. It gives you the impression that if it falls from a 1" height, it'll shatter into pieces. It's sensor/processor combo is stellar, giving you clean high-iso performance, and decent FPS. it's capable of video, but don't buy it based on that. It'll be about as good as a video from your phone, read: gimmick. If you can't afford the cost to upgrade your body in a year or so, you may find yourself being limited by what the camera can't do. Keep that in mind.

As stated before, good glass is better than a good body. Glass is what gives you sharp images, and that's where you should really invest. this is an expensive hobby, and you do have to pay to play. I know you'll be walking through walmart, and happen to see that 75-300/3.5-5.6 USM III telephoto lens sitting there for cheap. You'll think, "i could use a telephoto, and that's a good deal." Don't buy it. it's crap, and you'll have wasted a couple hundred bucks. Whatever body you decide to get, you should throw the basic kit lens away (with the rebels, it'll most likely be the 18-55mm) and replace it with the tamron 17-50/2.8 great lens, and it's insanely cheap for how good it is (about 400 from a mega-retailer like best buy)

Before you buy that camera, go to one of your local camera shops, not best buy, but an actual camera shop, and get your hands on the gear you're thinking about. get a feel for it, see if it's comfortable. Pick up nikon's cameras, and see how you feel about those as well. compare the two, mount up some glass, and ask questions.

The T1i is a great entry level camera, but it's built cheap, and feels like it. You may want something more.

10. mikmit

mikmit :o? OT Supporter

yeah everyone makes a good point.. i started with the rebel xsi and i had a blast taking pictures with it. i recently upgraded to a 40D and it has also been fun. the xsi has a cheap plastic-y feel whereas the 40D feels like a tank, very sturdy but also very heavy. the sound that the xsi/t1i makes when taking pictures also bothers me, which is another reason i upgraded. overall i've had more fun with my 40D since its easier to function and more options.

but im also a noob like you so i dont know much :)

11. RoudyruffKK

RoudyruffKK OT Supporter

:werd:

12. RoudyruffKK

RoudyruffKK OT Supporter

i think for a beginning a zoom is a must, coming from a point and shoot i can't imagine feet zooming that often even now i still like my zooms

13. Drunken Karnie Midget

But a fixed lens will definitely make you learn composition hard and fast.

14. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Honestly, don't listen to anyone in this thread. Get the T1i and be happy with it, people starting out shouldn't jump into buying used gear without warranties and and return policies. People here parrot the line "you should buy a used 30D or 40D" because there's a non-"pro" stigma on the Rebels.

The Digital Rebel is a fine camera for someone just starting out, and it's a better transition for the new user that is moving from a point and shoot than a 30/40D would be. It has simpler controls and menus, but it also still has all the good DSLR stuff with manual modes and such. It's also an SD Card camera, so your old memory cards should be compatible.

People telling you to buy advanced amateur or entry pro gear without asking you what you intend to shoot with the camera and how you intend to use it are simply talking out of their ass and wasting your money.

$650 for a Rebel kit is a fair deal on a good camera. You can always buy better lenses and accessories for that body down the road if you decide that you like photography and want to go to the next level. There's absolutely no reason you can't use the better L lenses on the Rebel body if you decide to go that way. And if you decide you just want to take a better snapshot, then you will have avoided taking the advice of these people and spending $1000 on a camera you don't need.

For the beginner, ANY dslr made in the last five years will be far, FAR more advanced that you'll be capable of using to it's fullest, so stop worrying about which one has the most bells and whistles, and worry about which one you feel comfortable using that is in your price range. Then take it our and shoot shoot shoot.

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

^^^^ best advice yet.

16. Jonny Chimpo

Goddamn it. That's two posts of legit advice. What the fuck is wrong with me? :wtc:

17. Drunken Karnie Midget

you've always posted legit shit. :dunno: you've just been really nice about it lately. You getting laid more often recently, or something else going on in your life? :hsugh:

18. Jonny Chimpo

Nah, I'm on vacation right now and I've cut down on coffee. That might have something to do with it.

I think getting laid makes me crankier because it means I've had to deal with some bitch's bullshit to get into her sausage wallet. :o

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. Jonny Chimpo

Speaking of vacation, I'm actually heading near your neck of the woods to go to the Bristol Renfaire and Germanfest. :wiggle:

Taking the gear with me to makeah the photarz of teh bewbies too. :naughty:

21. Drunken Karnie Midget

:coold: Just checked out their website... 8 hours with 4 kids... it's just not worth the hassle for those kind of ticket prices for me to make the drive, but that's a good sized faire, you should have quite a bit of fun. oh, and: In 4 boobage pics:naughty:

22. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

I've never heard that one before. I'm using that shit tonight! :rofl:

23. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Jonny Chimpo is spot on! :cool:

I recently upgraded my old Canon Rebel XT to the new Canon T1i (body only) and love the camera. I shoot family events, occasionally I do some creative shooting and really enjoy it. My point here, is this camera is perfect for my needs. Save your money and only buy QUALITY lenses. I wouldn't trade my L lenses for anything. Once you learn the camera and how to make the camera take the picture that you want, consistently, then you're ready to upgrade to a "better" camera.

I'm not there yet, but am learning a little more every day. I give a lot of credit to the folks here for the candid criticism, it's helping me to learn what to do and not to do. :bigthumb:

24. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

So I was talkin to the new wife about what kind of camera we should get and we went around and played with a bunch of them. Sat on it a couple days and ended up bringing home the D90 today. She's more experienced with cameras than me so she wanted to spend the little bit more to get the better body. Should be quite a bit of fun. I'll have to come in here with pictures as I go so I can get advice and pointers.

25. Drunken Karnie Midget

First rule, plan your shots. If you post up snapshots, that's what we're going to tell you they are. Practice your composition, think of your backgrounds, and what's beyond your subject. Have fun. Don't be put off by us being a collective asshole. We're cold, and blunt, hell we're downright brutal, but we're honest about what you need to work on to improve.