First detail for me, first probably for the car

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Bencorn, May 29, 2009.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I got a new to me 2002 Sentra a couple weeks ago and it is in pretty dire need of a detail. I've been lurking around the forums here for a while reading up on things and I just want to get some guidance before I dive into it. I got a clay kit to start off with. Prewax cleaner and Carnauba Wax. Microfiber towels and some wax applicators. Am I good to go or am I missing something. I'm going to be doing this by hand because I live in an apartment and don't have power access outside. The car needs a repaint at some point because the previous owner didn't take care of it and scratched it up pretty good in a few places so I'm not looking for a perfect detail, just something to shine it up a bit and hopefully make some of the scratches a little less noticeable. Any advice?

Also, the seats are filled with dust, the prior owner clearly drove on gravel with the windows down frequently. Best way of getting this out? I have access to a steam cleaner if that would work the best.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clay, polish and wax ought to at least put some shine on the car. By hand you aren't going to get a lot of the scratches out. You can use Meguiars #105 by hand (see the polish by hand sticky) and make a noticable difference. You will need to use a lighter polish after #105 before you wax.

You might want to use compressed air to blow as much dust out of the cracks and crevices of the interior as possible before you start to vacuum and then steam clean.

3. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Sweet, I'm sure after I do it by hand once I'll want to move up to a buffer. Until I can get the scratches repaired I won't be looking for a flawless shine though. The guy repaired them very quickly and sloppily and I'm going to have to sand it down and respray the areas because it looks like he just grabbed a brush and some black paint and globbed it onto the scratches. Good thing about the black is that it is hard to notice from a little ways away, but close up it just looks awful.

4. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

hey scott, is optimum's polish a light enough polish to use before wax?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yes it is

6. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter