first detail - 2004 G35 Sedan

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by bait, May 7, 2007.

1. bait

bait New Member

gf's dad's car - did it for his birthday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front wheels look awful. Especially the one that I took a picture of, I couldn't get that baked in brake dust out for anything. I tried wheel cleaner, mothers mag/aluminum polish and then even turtle wax polishing compund to try and get it off - it didnt seem like anything short of a dental pick woulda got it. Just looking for some feedback!

2. Robb

Robb Guest

looks good, save the wheels :), did you try using a brush to agitate the brake dust?

3. bait

bait New Member

tried everything. I used a couple of different nylon bristle brushes, I didn't have any like metal bristle brushes, I probably would have been afraid of damaging the wheel though.

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

That was a thoughtful gift, nice job!

BTW - on second look, are those swirls on the trunk deck? Sort of looks like it by the garage door light bulb, but it is hard to tell in your photo. What process did you use for this detail?

5. bait

bait New Member

Probably are. There were really bad swirls to start - I washed section by section and towel dried, then used a random orbital buffer with a microfiber bonnet with meguiars red bottle polish and buffed out with a microfiber towel about a half panel at a time. I used a ton because it seemed to be drying up pretty quickly becuase it was formulated for hand application. I finished it off with meguiars gold class liquid wax on a foam bonnet and then buffed out with a microfiber towel. For the wheels I used armor all wheel cleaner mostly and alot of scrubbing. I need to pick up some better products, but I'm a poor college student so I'm using what I have first.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

A Porter Cable and some good foam pads will really help with the remaining swirls.

I detailed a BMW X3 with the same problem with the wheels. The brake dust has corroded the wheels to the point only refinishing will make a difference. Not regularly cleaning wheels is the main cause and BMW and Infiniti are particularly bad about it.

7. bait

bait New Member

I might invest in a genuine PC later on down the road, if I really start taking this seriously. I just got a small craftsman buffer to kinda start learning on and getting used to techniques before I invest in really good equipment and products. I'm not gonna shell out $300 in tools and products just for my own POS :p

As for the wheels, I feel like something really extreme would have worked, but would have taken alot of time. There didn't seem to be so much corrosion as it was just really freaking tough. I think a dental pick or a small screwdriver and a good bit of patience (I had alot already, those wheels were nearly black when I started) would have succeeded, but the owner was telling me to stop working because it was making him feel guilty.

8. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

holy shit!

my wheels on my camry are in better shape than that! ... and i have 180k miles on it....

i nkow for a fact that bmw's oem brake pads kick up a shit load of brake dust!

nothing bugs me more after a week of driving when the car is still clean but the front wheels are caked with brake dust...i'll be replacing the oem brake pads soon!

9. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

an egg driver can never do wrong!! good job!

10. bait

bait New Member

He's had 3 sets of OEM brakes, getting ready to put on the fourth. I told him next brake job he gets done, come see me so I can reccomend some pads that don't turn his wheels black.

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

He needs to switch to ceramic pads.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I have a set of Bendix waiting to go on the explorer now!

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

as far as wheels go, I used to be a fan of strong wheel cleaner and high pressure, but I've found that elbow grease gives a much nicer result. however, if I need to go to something strong, I prefer Meg's Hot Rims wheel cleaner. the sprayer gives a decent foam, and that stuff is pretty stout.

14. bait

bait New Member

exactly