MIL first deployment, need some advise

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seven, Jul 31, 2009.

1. seven

seven New Member

info: USAF, O-2, Going to Manas, Kyrgyzstan, Working as a Wing Exec, leaving in less then a month.

I hear this should be a good deployment, i'm looking forward to it. Few questions for you guys who know...

-I was told i can't wear contacts over there from my eye doc. Wtf?

-Anything i should get issued that isn't on my reporting instructions? (i'm trying to get some PT gear, b/c i hear that's the only thing other then ABUs i can wear)

Is there Dry Cleaning available at Manas (if any one here has been there)?

-Do officers wear rank on a Boonie hat? I can't find an AFI on it.

-is there any reason at all to pack a set of blues?

-Is there any social life while deployed, or is it just work.

-Any worthwhile ideas to save/make money while i'm gone? Looking into the deployed savings plan (10%!), gonna cut my car insurance, and cell phone.

-any other suggestions? I'd rather ask here to get more ideas of things to ask before i start hounding my gaining unit with questions.

thanks.

2. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I was at Manas back in 04/05. Back then it was all tents. The only hard buildings were Comm, one rec place, and the main hq area where the commander stayed, and our supply warehouse. Everything was in construction when I was there so it's all buildings now. Never went off base, unless you count the time I was on the forklift unloading a railcar outside the front gate. they did have dry cleaning/laundry service there. and beer nights were on wednesdays and saturdays. only allowed 2.

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Just passed through Man Ass a few weeks ago (41 days to be exact).

Beer night is every night.

Officers will no doubt be in modular housing in the middle of everything. Plenty to do there.

The wifi at Petes Place is great at night and you can get two beers every 20 hours for about two bucks apiece.

The chow hall is open 24 hours, but only serves hot meals during chow hours.

Other than that, its really small and laid back. You'll have to buy your own PT gear (why doesn't a first lieutenant have this again?) and buy pants and the jacket. It was cold at night during the summer while I was there, I can only imagine its well below freezing at night by now.

You can do your own laundry if you don't like waiting for it to come back smelling like dirty socks. Pack light, take only what uniforms you'll NEED and a laptop. Everything else is extra. It's the only way to deploy so you're not the guy making the baggage detail throw seven fully packed bags of crap you'll never use.:nono:

Have fun. I'll be back through there sometime in the October/November time frame.

4. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

5. evan2

evan2 Guest

Manas is boring as fuck, I think they do have dry cleaning but I was just in transit when I was there.

It is really small and there is not much to do, so bring things to do, take classes etc.

SDP is great but its only 2.5 quarterly and you can only put the max 10k in there if you have a bonus, I tried every day I could to just dump 10k in there. I ended up doing the paper work wrong I guess since I wanted it to take out 1700 per check but it did it per month so now after 4.5 months here its not maxed like I wanted, I could of used the money in the market and made more.

USAA will let you basically take 80 percent off your current ins price if its kept in storage.

Pete's place was a decent spot to hang out, the base is small and very close knit but you always have transient folks passing through

its cold as fuck in the winter and very icy...

6. evan2

evan2 Guest

You will save money....

no gas charges
    no big bar tabs
    not eating out
    most utility bills if you have them are non existent, no cell phone

my only bill is mortgage and left power and water going but they arent much per month.

7. seven

seven New Member

sweet, thx for the info. I'm moving out soon, gonna put everything in storage and bank on BAH.

I'm not sure what my role will be there exactly (besides standard exec stuff), but it is gonna be a lot of paperwork. However i was told to bring a few suits (civilian), so i was curious if there was a dry cleaner there.

btw I do own PT gear, just not enough for everyday wear.

and i seriously doubt I'll find an AF chick to scam off of while deployed.

8. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

shit shouldn't even be considered a deployment.

9. JSin

JSin New Member

Truth, I wish I could have invested more, hard to beat 10%.

10. Julius

Julius Guest

it sucks that the SDP is capped at 10k... i would stick 30k into that fucker

11. seven

seven New Member

you have no idea how hard it was for me to even get this. As a Acq Officer/Engineer below captain it's hard as hell to get deployed at Edwards AFB.

I'll take what i can get and be happy with it.

12. evan2

evan2 Guest

What type of engineer are you? Worst part about Manas is that you do not get internet in your room and imo the chow hall sucks. I couldnt eat there after leaving Bagram, I got sick and the food just sucked so I lost 10 lbs in about 6 days when I was there.

13. seven

seven New Member

from my understanding, i have to wait til I'm actually deployed to do this right? So can i just have 10K transferred into it once i get there?

14. seven

seven New Member

My degree is Electrical Enginering
    but i worked as a Aero Engineer for 1.5 years
    And now i'm a grp exec.

Also they told me i'd have internet in my room, i think they are actually giving me computer in my room already too. I've also heard the chow hall is good, as long as they have food i'll be fine.

15. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

oh, I forgot to tell you about the Kyrgy Quickstep. IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO FART, GO TO THE BATHROOM!!! Most people get it there. Lasts about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

16. evan2

evan2 Guest

No unless you have a bonus, you have to put in up to your max base pay per month. You can keep it earning up to 3 months after you get back. It is 2.5 quarterly so really not as great as it first seems if you have better places to put 10k at once I would look into that.

17. evan2

evan2 Guest

Well as an exec and officer you might I was also there in 2007 so lots could have changed I have two of my troops there now if you have more questions though.

Have you ever thought about working in CE? You could deploy like a mofo then with me.

well sure there is food and sure they say its good but Ive eaten at many deployed chow halls and trust me it is not on par with others.

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Advice