GUN First day with my new 10/22 carbine Range time ( ADD warning )

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, May 24, 2006.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Hello all. I spent 2.5 hours and 200 rounds of Federal Champion ammo at my range today.

Some observations, Maybe I can get some help with some issues I seem to have had.

First things first I made a trip to my dads house to pick up his old scope off his rem 700 .308 ( freebie ) awsome. It is a Merco 3-9 x 40 Ive done some decent groups with this thing on that 308.

Second stop was Walmart. For some reason they wouldnt sell me ammo when I purchased my gun yesterday. ( I'm assuming liberal america has something to do with this ) And I had to grab a new set of rings for the rail.
    The ones that were on the scope were

A. to short
    b. had stripped holes

I opted for a set of leopuld seethrough's 16.99 Saved 5 bucks from my LGD
    Picked up a brick of Federal Champion .22 lr ( break in ammo no need for anything fancy ) and a package of 3 " shoot n see targets

On to the range which happens to be 3 blocks from wal mart YEA !!

Renew my membership 53 dollars [​IMG] grab a stapler and a sight in target and am on my way.

After waiting half a hour for the guy to get off the rifle range with his pistol ( pistol range is 100 yards <---- That way dude. I set up @ 25 yards and proceed to start zeroing the rifle.

I got a little excited new toy jitters and the first 10 shots were pretty much wasted.

After regaining control of myself I set to work. I started with windage and got that in the ballpark then started on elevation ( First problem ) I ran out of elevation adjustment... im hitting about an inch low @ 25 yards.

Opinions and Ideas of what may be wrong? I dont want to shim the rail unless I have to so im pretty open at this point.

SO Im not ready to go home yet so I aim an inch high and am surprised that @ 25 yards with less than 50 rounds threw the pipe with a crappy scope job the guns is easily doing 2 inch 10 round groups.

( Problem #2 ) The bolt is catching ejected brass. [​IMG] I had this problem with a High Standard 22 lr pistol and was never able to resolve it and ended up trading it off for a beretta u22. I like this rifle I am not going to trade it off for anything.

So I need some opinions and ideas on what I can do to alleviate this. I dont know where to start and I know how frustrating tracking this particular problem down can be.

Other than those issues I used my see through rings and the factory sites to put another 100 rounds through the pipe catching - 8 or 9 ejected's with the bolt. My eye was starting to get tired it was uber windy I decided to call it a day and post here.

Sorry for the long windedness of my tale im just excited and want to get my 2 minor issues resolved.

Thanx for looking.

EDIT: I should add this gun is capable of way better groups once I do something about the 10 pound trigger from the factory

2. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

BRB gotta break out the camera

4. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

hrm.. weak ammo maybe? try another brand..some .22lr's can be picky

5. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as requested

6. mooredodge

:cool: I got my dad the stainless model from wal-mart for his birthday. He really likes his, but he doesn't shoot it much. He buys more guns than some dealers. :rofl:

7. chakup

chakup Guest

10/22 stovepipe alot, search RFC for your answers.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Let it break in a little bit. Maybe get some high velocity ammo and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it.

I don't remember mine stove piping too much. I also put a new extractor in mine as well as the factory one wears up quickly.

9. EatShoots&Leaves

EatShoots&Leaves New Member

I have the exact same gun but no scope. Fun and cheap to shoot FTW.

10. reman

reman New Member

I'm guessing all 10/22 recievers are the same?

11. Valafar

Valafar Active Member

I use CCI MiniMag and have never had a stovepipe, double feed or any other problem. I toss Federal in there and it stovepipes quicker than shit.

12. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Break it in on some hot ammo. 10/22s love minimags.

13. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

http://rimfirecentral.com for your 10//22 needs and more.

But the elevation problem can be more than a few things. The way the barrel is mounted to the action can cause the barrel to droop down, this causes the barrel to be pointed lower than it should be. It can be the top of the receiver, some people found out that the tops arent completely flat, this causes the scope to mount incorrectly. It can also be that the screws that mounts the base, the screws for the rings, arent torqued correctly. Make sure you do it evenly. All those problems have a fix.

My rifle is started to stovepipe more and more. I have yet to solve that problem. But I think it is the lack of cleaning on my part. And the type of ammo will make a difference. My rifle loves MiniMags. Bulk anything, and it stovepipes 5-6% of the rounds :(

14. millero

millero Aluminum Member

what are the stainless 10/22's going for now at walmart and used? id like to build one but cant ever find a stainless for sale.

15. Furner

Furner New Member

my P22 hates federal when it is dirty, but the 10/22 I rented at the range a few times didnt have any problems with the 550rd federal .22

16. mooredodge

A few months back I think it was $214 including tax here.

17. bulzeye

bulzeye Meatatarian

same here. minimags seem to work the best